iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I Have Declared WAR

Started by WDH, March 23, 2014, 08:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Against carpenter bees.  They are a real problem in the South, boring holes in your roof joists, facia boards, and eaves.  So, I tried some traps.  Built six.  We will see how they work.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Andy White

Danny,
After working on the kiln, and sawing walnut this weekend, I noticed a few buzzing around my kiln and drying shed. If you see that those traps are working, let me know, cause I'll need about 100 of them. The bees ate all the rough cedar facias on the house in Orange, and that will not happen here too!!!    Andy :rifle: :rifle: :rifle:
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

wildbill

PB blaster drops them out of the sky.  i dont know how or why it works but my dad turns in to a 9 year old boy who just got a BB gun when he has that can of pb blaster.  also you can spray it into their hole and they will back out fall and die.

for the traps, i dont remember seeing any of those bees in his traps but plenty of wasps and flys. 

good luck
Raider Bill's favorite son

SwampDonkey

Darn pests. If it ain't one thing it's another.

Need any snow to slow them down some? You could load some on your no snow load roof. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Yes, the traps work.  I thought that I had pictures, but apparently not.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

Danny, I built several of those and hung em under the rafters where they were active and never caught a single one. I called Bowtie (I copied his traps) to report my lack of success and his reply was that Oklahoma wood bees must be smarter than Alabama wood bees!

Peter Drouin

I wish you luck. I see your pallets, I make them too for my wood, But I nail a sticking to them to get the wood off the pallet. Every 2' and stick the lumber right above them. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Take your pick,
The Glaciered North,
or carpenter bees.
Can't have both.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

Are these the type that nest in the ground? My brother had them eating his porch railing years ago. He saw where the entrance to their nest in the ground was. At dusk one night, (when they had retired for the evening) he put a funnel in the hole, poured in some ammonia, and then, STANDING UP WIND, he poured in some bleach.  smiley_devil

Problem solved.

uplander

I made some of those and had fairly good results with them. The carpenter bees were boring into the soffits of my house that were sheaved in BC plywood. They were also putting divots in the cypress siding on the house.

They went away and quit bothering the house, I think because I started using the indoor wood furnace
which sort of bathed the house in wood smoke after a whole winter of use. I don't think the house smelled right to them.

I bet the traps would work better with some fresh pine chips in them.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

WDH

Jack,

These nest in the wood, boring long tunnels and chambers. 

I will take the bees.  Y'all keep the glaciers. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

Good luck general ,let us know how they work.
al glenn

Bert

I settled my carpenter bee war last year. After making traps, coating my house in pesticides, and heavy tennis racket use (swatting), I bought some citronella stuff off the internet from a log home site. You can mix it with stain or just apply it with a pump up sprayer. The bees leave that stuff alone. Within a few days, all was calm around the homestead. Its pretty smelly the first few days but the smell wears off in a couple weeks. Im anxious to see if they come back this spring or I got them for good. The seven bug spray that you hook to your garden hose works pretty good too but I made myself sick spraying it up on the eaves. :-\
Saw you tomorrow!

Raider Bill

PB blaster works dang good!
When ammo was cheaper I sat with a .22 pistol waiting for them to fly by so I could play anti aircraft gunner or anti bee gunner. Got 17 in one day like that.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

Bill,
Ever shoot your building by mistake?
You know eating lots of cheese will improve your marksmanship.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

You find a perfectly round hole in the soffit .Insert a 16 penny nail,it buzzs real load until the nail takes effect .Works but after the fact .

My house has fletch cut cedar gables .The peckerwoods liked to chop holes in it the bees in other portions .Got some woodpecker resistant paint from Sherwin Williams.

It must have dulled the woodpeckers pecker and tasted bad to the bee .Peckerless and beeless as I type .

giant splinter

WDH, did you find that idea on the net or did you come up with this nice looking gizmo and how does it work.
roll with it

Dave Shepard

We get plenty of them up here. They just slow down a little during our glacierization phase. I was ripping stickers out of some ewp boards we had stickered out behind the shop. It was during cold weather, and one of the stickers had a bore hole parallel to the saw cut. There were four of those guys riding out the glacier in there. I didn't inspect them closely, but they must have gotten a close shave on one side. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Wick

Yep, I got my tennis racket out yesterday.  bat_smailey
This cool snap ought to calm them down for a few days here.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

mesquite buckeye

I'm thinking beedmitten. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Martha White Nelson

OK guys!  Let me tell y'all how the U.S. Forest Service does it in certain districts on some historical structures, out buildings, restrooms and pump houses, etc.   After managing several districts for the forest service for almost 15 years through a special use permit, we would mix 1/2 boiled linseed oil, and 1/2 thinner in a pump sprayer and apply thoroughly to all exposed surfaces.  Historical buildings are part of our national treasures, so the preservation of these buildings is a must.  No bees will attack, bore, or lay their eggs in these old buildings. The photos are just a few of the buildings that were treated with this mixture.   Hope this will help!

/userpics/33212/stelprdb5359634.jpg[/img]

Martha

mrector

I have made some of these traps and they work great!  I made 4 of em and only 2 worked.. found out that they will not touch wet wood. I had made 2 out of fresh cut pine, they didn't have any bees in bottles although the dry wood traps were half filled!

Also I found that if you "bait" them with a live bee it surely increases your chances of it working. I usually use a shuttle cock racket and disable one and put him in the bottle. Seems to work, they must give off a scent or something.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Quote from: Bert on March 24, 2014, 09:05:54 AM
I bought some citronella stuff off the internet from a log home site. You can mix it with stain or just apply it with a pump up sprayer. The bees leave that stuff alone.
And when the house catches on fire from all the chemicals you sprayed on it, the Citronella does a good job of keeping the Skeeters away. :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

WDH

Quote from: giant splinter on March 24, 2014, 10:59:36 AM
WDH, did you find that idea on the net or did you come up with this nice looking gizmo and how does it work.

Giant,

Found it on the Internet. 

Bert

QuoteAnd when the house catches on fire from all the chemicals you sprayed on it, the Citronella does a good job of keeping the Skeeters away.

But at least I won the bee war... right?  smiley_thumbsup
Saw you tomorrow!

WDH

Kinda like shooting snakes in the house.  There is reciprocal damage.

SwampDonkey

We don't seem to have carpenter bees here. Our bumble bees will nest in a wall of a building though, but don't chew wood. For that we have carpenter ants. ;D I've never seen them attack hard sound wood though, just bad sills and dry rot.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Delawhere Jack

Traps won't kill the queen, she stays in the nest in the woods.

Phosgene gas baby!  smiley_devil

LaneC

The woodpeckers hear the larvae and tear out the wood until they get them. They do a lot of damage. Got 15 yesterday with bad mitten racket and dad got 12. The traps {from what I have studied} need to be stable where they won't swing and put on the sides of the building with the most sunlight The biggest thing is that the hole has to be drilled at an angle {to prevent water from entering}. Once infested they come back to the same place the next year. You tube has an older gentleman who shows how to make them. I hate these things. Several years ago I had to tear down my whole shed because they did so much damage, and then the woodpeckers would hang upside down and sound like a machine gun at daylight trying to get them. Hope you win the war.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Freedom6178

We bought an electric bug zapper that looks like a tennis racket only cost a few bucks. Push the button on the handle and when you swing it zaps most any bug pretty good (just dont hit yourself or anyone next to ya don't ask how I know ::)) We have two of em at the property in the UP. We keep one near by whenever we are sitting outside relaxing..
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

customsawyer

I have several of the traps on my house and they seem to work pretty good. The more bees in them the better they seem to work, so I don't empty mine.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

That makes sense, a good measure of success. ;D

WDH

Haven't caught any yet  :).

gfadvm

Those Georgia bees may be smarter than the Alabama bees!

DanG

I fought a battle in this war yesterday, but emerged victorious. ;D

A few days ago, one of Linda's cats caught a carpenter bee that was buzzing against the window in the den.  I wasn't surprised, since she leaves the door open for the cats to come and go sometimes. Next day, the same cat caught another one in the same window.  Yesterday, she caught another one, then another and another, all in the same place.  It turns out that this window is the one right beside my firewood rack.  In it, I found a big chunk of Devilwood(Pecan) with several large galleries where the bees were hatching out or emerging from hibernation, not sure which.  I declared fireplace season to be officially over at that point and removed all firewood from in and around the house. :snowball:
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

PC-Urban-Sawyer

DanG,

Sounds like time to have a BBQ using that firewood!

I'm sure the extra protean in the smoke would add an interesting flavor...

Herb

DanG

Been thinking about using it to smoke a housecat, Herb.  ;) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Raider Bill

Wild Bill and I are in Tenn. We got a bunch of them here getting behind the cedar shake wall. Been spraying them as I see one. Can't afford the .22 ammo to shoot them this year.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

I have only caught about 10, but there are not as many around this year so far for some reason. 

Magicman

For sure there is 10 less than last year.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gfadvm

And I still haven't caught a single one!

customsawyer

I have enough for both of us so don't worry about your numbers going down.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

They are not going extinct, that is for sure.

ely

I spray the eaves or whatever they are boring into with malathion and or diazanon. the next day there is a whole pile of them laying out there.

wildbill

badmitton rackets.  we were running out of boring bees to get with the rackets.  if you twack them hard enough you cut them in half
Raider Bill's favorite son

Weekend_Sawyer

It seems like they are worse around my barn than ever.
I hate to kill them but I'd hate it worse if my barn fell down... again.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

CJennings

Time to build an all stone exterior home down there where those bees are.

I'd take those carpenter bees over yellow jackets or bald faced hornets.

beenthere

Quote from: CJennings on April 21, 2015, 03:29:43 PM
Time to build an all stone exterior home down there where those bees are.

I'd take those carpenter bees over yellow jackets or bald faced hornets.

I'm weird.. I'm happy we don't have the carpenter bees... and I'm okay with having yellow jackets and bald faced hornets.
I don't bother them, they don't bother me.  But sounds like the carpenter bees eat a lot of wood, which would bother me.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

CJennings

The yellow jackets just seem to love the eaves of my home, so by mid-summer it's quite an "adventure" coming and going. It doesn't seem to matter how many times you kill them and destroy the nests, more fill in.

beenthere

Those might be wasps instead of yellow jackets.
Wasps have the hanging honeycomb-like circular nest. Not as mean as a yellow jacket. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

Yellow jackets den in the ground or around an ole stump down here.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!