iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Variable Piston Pump - Any harm running wide open all the time?

Started by mjeselskis, March 23, 2014, 07:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

The donor machine I picked up for the processor has an Eaton 70145 variable displacement piston pump the main pump. It is a 1.44 cu in displacement, about 22 GPM at 3500 RPM.

What I need to know is: Will I damage anything by running it at full displacement all the time to run the saw motor? This motor used to run the hydro drive on a Jacobsen reel mower so the variable displacement was used for speed control and reverse. So is there any harm in just locking the swash plate in place and using it as a fixed displacement pump?

The other option is to sell it and use the cash to buy a stacked gear pump.
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

snowstorm

mjeselskis

Morewood

hydstat is a term usually used to describe a " closed loop "system which is used on a drive system , forward and reverse.
A standard hydraulic system is " open" pump the oil , use it and return it to the tank.
The pump you listed , 70145 is a closed loop type " over center axis piston pump " . Yes you could hold the swash plate in full but that's not what this pump was designed for.
Get a fixed displacement pump matched to your hydraulic motor so you transfer the most , h/p , torque , and speed .
Frank
2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

mjeselskis

Quote from: Morewood on March 23, 2014, 11:54:16 AM
hydstat is a term usually used to describe a " closed loop "system which is used on a drive system , forward and reverse.
A standard hydraulic system is " open" pump the oil , use it and return it to the tank.
The pump you listed , 70145 is a closed loop type " over center axis piston pump " . Yes you could hold the swash plate in full but that's not what this pump was designed for.
Get a fixed displacement pump matched to your hydraulic motor so you transfer the most , h/p , torque , and speed .
Frank

Hmm, sounds like I should try to sell it and buy a gear pump. If I can't sell it, and choose to use it, would I have to set it up as a closed center system?

A reman pump sells for 1200, so hopefully I can sell this one for a decent price.

Morewood

2008 Cooks AC3651 perkins diesel , JD 310C w/forks and thumb , International 8000 Dump truck , 16 ton trailer , and all the accessories .

Thank You Sponsors!