iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

540B smoke and oil

Started by PaYoungBuck, March 22, 2014, 11:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaYoungBuck

My 540B has started to use oil up to about a quart and a half almost a day. Not sure if it's rings and needs rebuilt or maybe the turbo. It smokes the worst after it idles for a while. Run it hard and it clears up for the most part. I let it warm up for while longer the other morning and had some oil drops at the end of my exhaust. Any thoughts? Just trying to pre game gonna get muddy bye the end of the week thanks.

Maine logger88

I would start by checking the turbo and go from there as it is the most easy to check
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

bushmechanic

Yeah I would go with the turbo also. Don't leave it too long as it gets worse it can burn the engine oil like fuel but you won't have any control and more often than not the engine destroys itself before it stops. The company I work for had a 2012 International Workstar with 150 000 kilometers on it and lost the turbo and it didn't shut off until one piston and connecting rod were on the ground. Just something to keep in mind.

stoneeaglefarm

When that turbo goes it will blow oil all over the place, Quart and a half is way to much in a day, Shut her down and get it fixed before it causes a real problem or blows out in the woods and ya have to hire someone to go get it, Been there done that and its a horror show. Good luck.

PaYoungBuck

Yeah that's my plan. It's gonna break up here Thursday so gonna gimp it thru I hope. Found a motor oil leak today gonna check it in the am and see how much it used. Hope it's less so I can get 2 more days outa it

Thank You Sponsors!