iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ive been building

Started by yukon cornelius, March 22, 2014, 09:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

ive been pretty busy lately making all sorts of things. I thought id put a few pics on and share.

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

yukon cornelius

that's just a few things. ive made a lot of multiples of most of those items also. today was a great day! I actually sold some of them. ok, so 4 items went to my mom but another guy bought a set of planter boxes to be shipped to him on Monday. maybe I can keep this momentum up.

hardtailjohn

Nice looking stuff, Yukon!
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Den-Den

You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Bill Gaiche

Don't you just love ERC. bg

JohnG28

The swing is awesome,  along with everything else!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Magicman

Yes, you certainly have been building.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

That's some nice looking stuff.

Allan

thecfarm

I like the key holders or whatever someone would use them for.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Great job! you are a lucky man to have all that cedar to work with. Those planter boxes should move like hotcakes this time of the year.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

petefrom bearswamp

Lookin good!
Wish I could get some ERC here to saw.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

yukon cornelius

we have a lot of cedar on us and all around us. I have only been milling small stuff from a ice storm years ago and property line cleaning. im having a good time whether they look good or not. today im making a bunch of little cedar crates for flowers. I hope to sell a bunch of them.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Very Nice work there Yukon. I really like those planter boxes.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

yukon cornelius

I just wish I knew the best way to sell my stuff. I like the building not the selling! my wife is going to try some craft shows. craigslist is a crapshoot there is so much scamming. God will point us in the right direction!

thecfarm

That stuff will sell itself. I have no idea how traffic is by your house. A few out by the road will help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

yukon cornelius

we are on a dead end road that ends in Truman lake. with only one other house past us the only traffic we have is the mail man. on a busy day we have 3 cars and we all go outside to see who they are (we are hillbillies). our house sits down the hill far enough also id be afraid they might sprout legs and disappear.

thecfarm

Yep,just about like where I live. I am the first house,8 past me and we get all of the traffic. Mine is dirt road.

yukon cornelius

our road would be dirt if it weren't so rocky here. I built my house and shop on flat solid stone. our hill has a 5 foot fall in 18 feet. I dug into the hillside and found a shelf perfectly level and built on it.

we are trying to sell on a few internet sights with no luck. maybe prices aren't right. maybe shipping is to high. not sure. we are still in the beginning stages. I better keep on restoring old tractors cars and trucks for a while.

thecfarm

In one small town I kept seeing this guy driving around in a truck with some wooden lawn chairs in the back of his truck with a For Sale sign on them.

yukon cornelius

I should load my old van up with things I make and play banjo music through a PA and drive through neighborhoods and sell my wood stuff like the ice cream truck. im sure people would flock to a bearded guy in an old van playing banjo music creeping up and down the street to see if the could buy something.  :D :D :D

hackberry jake

are the planters stackable?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

yukon cornelius

the planters all stack inside each other for storage and for easy shipping.

hackberry jake

Quote from: yukon cornelius on March 25, 2014, 08:34:38 PM
the planters all stack inside each other for storage and for easy shipping.
And so people can fit more  in their car when they buy em from ya! I may just have to steal borrow that idea!

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

yukon cornelius

well, ya know it would be easier for you if you bought a set from me for a pattern. just trying to make it easier on you!  :D :D :D

Klicker

Is there a local farmers market near you I think you wood do well. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

yukon cornelius

there is a few around us. we have been thinking about those. we went to a swap meet last sunday but we didn't make the entrance fee back. we are going to try it again this sunday. my wife sold a couple things a t a craft show. I have a ton of stuff made up to sell. anyone use etsy.com?

hackberry jake

I have bought a few things off etsy but never sold anything. Its a neat idea for a website. We need more of things like etsy to keep the american dollar at home.

yukon cornelius

we have been on there for 3 weeks and we have sold 2 things but only a total of $23. that's not going to go far. I think it is will pick up. I hope anyway. I love the idea of it. we need to beat the pavement and keep trying to sell things.

Klicker

We have been doing the farmers market  for a couple of years
2006 LT 40 HD

yukon cornelius

we have done a swap meet the last two weeks. we have only done sunday which is really against what I like to do. my oldest son has a few more weeks of Saturday morning soccer. anyway the first sunday was brutal only selling a birdhouse that my son made. we didn't even make our entry fee back. last sunday we scored! we sold a ton of things. we didn't quite make what we have to make per week but close. its been over several weeks since we made anything so it was nice.

Klicker

Swap and flee markets most people want  a deal I find you or I get a better price at the farmers market.
2006 LT 40 HD

yukon cornelius

that is some great advice. I felt I have been giving my work away there but I have to make something so some money is better than none. I know most people will say you have to make a fair wage but when your out of money a fair wage isn't nearly as high. when I can no longer keep up without demand then prices can be adjusted.  not to complain but our family has had some hard hard times this last year. too bad I cant pay my electric bill with porch swings or log furniture. I could see it now. "honey we really need to start conserving electricity. our bill is 3 shelves and a pie safe this month!" on the same lines I would love to see the world go to a barter system.

thecfarm

Never know what people will buy. My area would be hard to sell big items. People just don't have the money. Small stuff,$10-30 will sell.
Bundle up some fire starter wood.

yukon cornelius

that's another great idea! its also grilling season, ive been wanting to run some hickory limbs through the shredder for smoking wood and selling bags of it. if it would sell it would be low cost and low labor in it.

ScottAR

I don't what your local markets are but here one could rent a space at a flea market/ consignment shop. 
You take your goods in and price em, the cashier rings it out to your space and ya settle up at the end of the week or whatever.  I know several folks that do this for extra money. 

Ya never know what will work.  I have a friend who is retired and enjoys making oil paintings.  He has them displayed at a couple doctor's offices.  He sold one last week for $500.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

yukon cornelius

hey scott, we have been looking for one of those spaces. the only one we have found with an opening was way off the beaten path in a little town. we will keep shopping.

etsy is slow it seems. we get around 30 views a day. we have sold 5 items in a month which is pretty good!small items though. we keep plugging away.

rrrun

Love the planter boxes. The Lady has been after me to build some just like those, but I've avoided her so far. But time is running out....
--
www.MowryJournal.com

yukon cornelius

I shipped a few out to California recently. well ya know I could build them for ya and send em out there....then you could say you built them. im only looking out for you  ;)

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Yukon - what is your shop name on etsy?  I have used it in the past but no real success but I also was not working it too hard since I did not have a lot to sell.  I am thinking about reactivating my account and would also like to see what you have up for sale.

Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

mesquite buckeye

So, like where is the wheatland with all that rock?????

smiley_biggrin01

Seriously, I really like your stuff. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Do you have access to black locust? Also really good for outdoor use.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

yukon cornelius

the wheat is not too far from us. we are only a few miles from some really flat land. we are near Truman lake and its not so flat at all.

thanks for the compliment!

I really enjoy making this stuff.

rrrun

I've just started making stuff for sale. There was a local Street Fair with some crafts & some corporate businesses ... solar energy, real estate, etc., along side the hand made stuff. I'm doing cutting boards and cheese boards ... I've sold about 20 items in 4 days of the Fair. Interesting, I'm now getting follow up business as people want to buy one more, get one for a present, etc. Still not making enough money to pay my lumber bill, but I am making progress. Promotion is key: facebook, website, etc. Your stuff can be really cool, but if no one sees it, it doesn't matter. We haven't tried a swap meet yet, but intend to check a few of those out over the next several weeks. Definitely intend to do several craft fairs leading up to Christmas.
--
www.MowryJournal.com

jueston

i've made some stuff to sell at craft fairs and have not had much luck, but i'll tell you what has done the best for me, which i would not have expected. charity auctions. i gave away cutting boards and wine holders to a few local charity auctions, after that i got a single order for 40 of them, and several smaller orders, which kept me busy for months. giving away 3 or 4 of them was the best advertising you can get.

i haven't been focusing on that for a while now, because i've been busy, but if i was going to return to that i'd make a really good website and an etsy store, have some cards professionally made and leave them with the wooden things i give away to charity auctions. i think that would be a better use of my time then the craft fairs based on my experiences...

thecfarm

The small things,low price items,$20-30.would sell in my area. The brenches and the beds,people may want,but the money part says no.  :(

yukon cornelius

jueston if you start an etsy store let me know and we can be a team. im not sure exactly how it works but something like extra promoting of each others stores. we did donate a porch swing to a charity auction but our name was not on it.

cfarm no one around here has any money for anything it seems. I laughed at some of the junk I saw people buying at swap meets and told my wife our stuff was too nice. I thought if I would run over some of our stuff it would sell. the only thing I sold at the last one was a headboard that fell over in the trailer and got scuffed pretty bad. :D oh yeah then we got it back since it didn't fit. its weird that a queen headboard doesn't fit a full bed. that's  another thread.

jueston

the thing about etsy i have been told, and experienced to some small degree, is that etsy doesn't sell your items for you. if you put your items on etsy and then sit and wait for them to sell, you'll be sitting and waiting a long time. you need to create an etsy site and then find ways to drive people there. i think a lot of people use craft fairs to advertise there etsy site as much as sell stuff.

but i'm no expert at selling my wood projects.

if only this 9-5 wasn't taking so much of my time i could spend more time in the shop! ussually in the winter things slow down in the office and i have more time to play in my shop. i'll let you know if i get back in the game.

yukon cornelius

jueston that is accurate to a degree. etsy has a lot of ties that gets your products seen. it shows shop stats that tracks where traffic to your page comes from and numbers of views broke down. I have seen siites like google, bing, the find, rockanddirt, architectural design, log cabin forums our own forestry forum and several others shown as places people have found our stuff. so they put it out there pretty well as far as im concerned. shipping is a huge problem and expense. for instance a simple log bench we made was going to cost several hundred dollars to ship about 4 hours from here. it just barely exceded the dimensions to ship standard ground transport so it would have to ship freight. when the bench is $100 and shipping is well over $300....well deal squashed. small items ship easily. number of items in your shop is a big key. we sell about 2-3 items a month on there and we are new. have about 30 items in our shop and get 30 to 50 views on average a day. when we had 10- 15 items we would have 10-15 views a day. its just one more place to get seen. we also direct people to our shop through craft shows and fairs. we see a huge spike after each show. it is very cool to know that something made in my shop by my hands is going all over the country. it doesn't  take much to amuse me  ;D

36 coupe

Quote from: thecfarm on May 28, 2014, 08:43:39 AM
The small things,low price items,$20-30.would sell in my area. The brenches and the beds,people may want,but the money part says no.  :(
A fellow who made bird feeders told me that 30.00 was the limit.Any thing over that wont sell.Ive built picnic tables for 35 years.Last year and this year are very slow.In past years I could sell 50 tables and had a dealer that sold 40.Its hard to sell on a busy highway and I wouldnt even try on a dead end road.I built pine Adirondack chairs for a while but cant compete against the 15.00 plastic chairs.Times are hard for most people here and it will get worse.

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: 36 coupe on July 11, 2014, 07:05:28 AM
Quote from: thecfarm on May 28, 2014, 08:43:39 AM
A fellow who made bird feeders told me that 30.00 was the limit.Any thing over that wont sell.Ive built picnic tables for 35 years.Last year and this year are very slow.In past years I could sell 50 tables and had a dealer that sold 40.Its hard to sell on a busy highway and I wouldnt even try on a dead end road.I built pine Adirondack chairs for a while but cant compete against the 15.00 plastic chairs.Times are hard for most people here and it will get worse.

BTW, 36, where is here for the rest of us? ??? ???

Enquiring minds want to know. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

For as many times as that question of "here" is asked, one addition to his bio would fix that for good. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mesquite buckeye

36 coupe

Quote from: beenthere on July 11, 2014, 01:52:17 PM
For as many times as that question of "here" is asked, one addition to his bio would fix that for good. ;)
Here is central Maine.About 25 miles from nowhere.No lumber,no bolts, no spikes, everything I need is hauled in my truck.

beenthere

We can't add that info into your bio. Only you can..  ;)

It will save us asking again and again...   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

not everyone wants to be locatable. :D if I could drop off all radar I would! im close now as it is. 8)

Thank You Sponsors!