iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pallet wood projecs

Started by Brad_bb, March 22, 2014, 03:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

This is pretty cool.  This guys makes his project from old pallet wood.  I then took a look on youtube and it's surprising how many people are using old pallets to make things.
http://youtu.be/IoP2cKN2WeY
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Brad_bb

Wow, there are lots of interesting ideas.  This is a vid for ideas.  Some are a bit cheap looking, but some are quite interesting.
http://youtu.be/o0AUAulWQoM

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Pretty good Brad.....I like the Vids. Thanks!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

as for myself, just a country boy, I cant believe people pay top dollar for re-purposed pallet projects! its like they are some new fancy product. I would never be able to sell something like that.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mad murdock

At our old house, we put up a pallet yard fence, looked like a nice wood Pickett fence, without the points.  We were able to source many pallets from the same place, so they were all uniform. Lasted for years, even got comments from the neighbors on the nice looking fence from time to time. All the pallets were free too.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

m wood

I've parked over 700 pallets outside of work since the snow started flying in Nov.  I constantly look at them because my 2 bosses are at odds on who to sell them to :).  I used to imagine what they could be made into.  Now I just view them as a nuisance :D.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

hackberry jake

I could get all the free pallets I want from work. I have brought a few home that I notice figured wood on and whatnot, but I don't like trying to pull spiral shank nails out of hardwood pallets nor do I like nail holes in my lumber. I have tried to come up with uses for short pieces (between the nails) but I can only think of a few, plus the thickness on the lumber varies quite a bit.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

Use to have big bags of plastic pellets come on pallets. The boards on top was a full one inch,spaced one inch  apart and the runners was 2 inches thick and I forgot how many boards was on the bottom. All hardwood and those things was some heavy. They would make a man out of you stacking them by hand or put you in the grave. I brought a few home to stack stuff on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brad_bb

There is some work involved in disassembling pallets, but I saw this on youtube and think it sure would make it a lot easier.

http://youtu.be/jkKFGIjPSvI

Dan_Shade

I find the easiest way to get the nails out of a pallet is to burn it...
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

hackberry jake

A truck carrying a load of pallet nails tipped over not far from where I lived about 12 years ago. My family being the good citizens we were went down there and loaded up a bunch of 5 gallon buckets full of pallet nails. Just to get them off of the road of course. I still have them. I dont think ive used any of them in 12 years. I cant bring myself to scrap them though. I might find a use one day.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Peter Drouin

Pallets are good to pile fire wood on :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Tom L

there used to be a company down the road from me that imported marble and granite, they had the most beautiful wood pallets. all imported and made from some very exotic wood.
I was stopping by every week and getting the wood they put to the curb. after a while other people found out about it and made a mess of everything. so they stopped putting it out.

was short on cash and wound up building a shed with it all. some of wood was purple and so hard you had to drill it just to nail it. wish I had it all today. that was some great pallet wood.

jueston

next door to my office is a flooring importer, they have a lot of pallets, sometimes i will see one imported from south america with really pretty wood, but i just love my planer blades to much to take the risk of a missed nail or small rock that gets crushed into the wood. like others have said, you don't get a lot of wood, but i make a lot of small things, but i have other sources of cutoffs which after you take into account the time and labor, are close to the same price.

Mooseherder

I made 3 of these Saturday by dismantling 2 pallets.  This is the largest one.
My daughter had got the idea from somewhere but they wanted over 70 dollars a piece for them.
She painted them and my SIL painted the Horses.  These will be for a birthday party that is going to have a petting zoo for the kids.
She wanted them uneven and irregular. ;)

Brad_bb

Nice!  I'm working on a couple pallet projects now.  Will post when finished.  I need more good pallet material though.  I'd like to find some hardwood pallets.

Sixacresand

I went to a crafts fair Saturday.  There were lots of odds and ends made of wood:  Not recently milled/dried or store bought lumber, but always wood from "used, free pallets" and "old barn lumber".  I got kinda tired hearing about pallet and barn boards.   :D   When I was young, broke and a little more red around the neck, i remember using pallets to build a barn, porches on my trailer home, side bodies on my pickup and deck on my 55 gallon drums pontoon boat.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!