iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

peavey jack

Started by victorytea, June 18, 2004, 06:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

victorytea

Anyone heard of a peavey jack?  I've been thinking about getting a peavey or a cant to roll logs we're cutting for firewood.  I asked a local lumberjack if he had any extra peaveys and after I explained to him what I wanted it for, he said "you need a peavey jack".  How do they work and where can I get one.   Paul

james

think i saw somthin like that looked like a regular peavey with a leg sticking out the side oposite the hook about midway between the point and the hook, you put it on the log and when you rolled it toward your self with the point under the log the leg held the log up off the ground :-/ :-/ :)

dutchman

Nothern Tool has a couple different models, all metal $33 or wood handle $43.
NorthernTool.com.
Carl

beenthere

Maybe this will help you too. Point and click on LogRite Tools (one of our sponsors with bright blue handles) on the left column on this 'page'  and then go to 'online store' and you will see the attachment to a peavey that will make a jack. (It's called a Universal log stand 6")   ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

Pete J

Thanks FF members!
Here's a picture of our model. It's 100% made in the USA.

victorytea

I'll be darned!  I've been cutting firewood off and on for 30 years now and never have seen a peavey jack in use.  Why is that.  Is there anyone out there who uses one and how does it work for you?  Thanks guys for your replies.   Now I know where to get one but may have to wait until Christmas.  They appear to be a good idea.         Paul

Ron Scott

A great tool for the firewood cutter. The wood can be bucked up out of the dirt.
~Ron

Stan

The trouble with them is after two or three cuts you have to move the danged thing. Gettin' it the right distance from the end of the log seems to be impossible for me.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Tam-i-am

VictoryTea

I discovered it this year and for me who has to cut up only a few logs for the fire it is great.  But I agree with Stan if you have a lot of wood to cut, it is a lot easier to cut half way through the log and then roll it and cut the other half.

Not that I wouldn't love for you to buy a log stand but a cant or peavey is probably all you  need. ;)

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

victorytea

Thanks all!  I am a proponent of "keep it simple" so , at least for now, I think I will go for a wooden handled cant.    Paul

Dean Hylton

I have one and love it.  I only use it though on the rare ocassion.  98% of the time I cut 3/4 of the way through and roll the log and finnish it out.  There is that 2% of the time though when you just can't move the log for one reason or another. I think for that 2% of the time it is a great investment if for no other reason than the time you save sarpening a chain after rocking it. I would never use it on a regular basis though because of the hassel and wasted time of always having to move it every other cut.  They do have there place though.

Thank You Sponsors!