iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Slow Day gets Exciting

Started by Magicman, March 21, 2014, 09:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Things started out just ho-hum.  500bf of Pine & Poplar and 1Mbf of live edge sawn ERC and I was done at 1:30.

Nothing special or unusual.  I load up, get paid, and then check my cellphone for missed calls.  Yup, there is one from a previous customer who is also a Friend and FF Member.  He has a chainsaw slabbed up Poplar log loaded on his truck that he wants sawed?  OK, I can do it this afternoon.  Meet me at Marty's.

I go home, eat, and head to the bank before sawing the Poplar.  My phone rings, it's my Poplar guy.  Lynn, I am stuck.  OK, can an F250 with a 12K winch pull you out?  I get the general location and head out.  He is about 10 miles away.  Phone rings again.  Call me just before you get here and I will meet you at the road.  My clothes are wet and muddy and I don't have anything on but my boxers.  So now here I am driving along looking for a nekkid man.

And I found him just as he had described.

He was stuck for sure.  The differential was on the ground and the wheels were spinning freely.  The single line pull did not work.  We would have to use a block.

A chain from the block to his trailer hitch and we are now making progress.

He had some awesome Poplar.

The colors in the 24" slabs and boards were eye popping.  I guess so were those plaid drawers.   :o

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BCrabtree

That is some nice looking poplar.
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right." Henry Ford

WDH

Kinda Sasquatchy looking if you ask me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

I think I can smell it from here!   better than smoke! I reckon,  ;D  whatever it takes is a good motto,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fat olde elf

The Life and Times of the one and only Magic Man  !!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Bill Gaiche

Did he learn anything about mud bogging? bg

hackberry jake

I've been "The boxer guy" before. It sure ain't no fun when the water is cold... One less article of clothing and I could have used this smiley  ban_smiley
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

hunz

I can only imagine a stranger's thoughts passing by a muddy fella in his drawers. ....with FF members, it can just be another adventerous day! Thanks for sharing Lynn
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Andy White

Lynn,
Never a dull moment around you! With all the cable work you done this past few days, you should hang your "rigger" shingle!     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

red oaks lumber

man you guys gotta learn to drive! there should of been mud everywhere . dripping off the mirrors gobs should be on the roof, and he wouldn't need to be pulled out. :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WDH

You should have made him unload all that poplar first before you pulled him out  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Great story.
Always good to help a friend in need.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 22, 2014, 06:54:58 AM
man you guys gotta learn to drive! there should of been mud everywhere . dripping off the mirrors gobs should be on the roof, and he wouldn't need to be pulled out. :D

I'm with red oaks- that feller should have just gassed it and he could have easily gotten out! What is it with these southerners who don't know how to drive in the mud?! :-X
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on March 22, 2014, 09:00:38 AM

I'm with red oaks- that feller should have just gassed it and he could have easily gotten out! What is it with these southerners who don't know how to drive in the mud?! :-X

Dodgy,

Just trying to figure it out.

Beings how you're currently living in MS and you previously lived in GA (if memory serves me right...), that means you are either:

A southerner, bred and born.

OR

A carpetbagger.

So, which do it be?

Herb
Southerner

Larry

Here son, hold my beer while I show this boy how to drive. :D ;D :D

Spoken as a true southerner. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ArnoldFarms

Lol, you never know what the day has in store!   :) :) :)
Faith, Family, Job

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on March 22, 2014, 10:54:54 AM
Quote from: Dodgy Loner on March 22, 2014, 09:00:38 AM

Dodgy,

Just trying to figure it out.

Beings how you're currently living in MS and you previously lived in GA (if memory serves me right...), that means you are either:

A southerner, bred and born.

OR

A carpetbagger.

So, which do it be?

Herb
Southerner

Herb: I am a southerner, born and bred. And that's all I got to say about that ;)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

backwoods sawyer

Some can 4 by some can't that has been proven ;D
However that naked satchsquach issue must be a southern thing :-\  :D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on March 22, 2014, 12:00:58 PM
Some can 4 by some can't that has been proven ;D
However that naked satchsquach issue must be a southern thing :-\  :D

Shoot, that mud puddle don't need no 4 by.

I remember my Dad going thru lot worse than that in an old '53 F-100 with a flathead 8. It only had two wheel drive, but my Dad believed in keeping them rolling. He didn't know but two speeds on the highway, stopped and full throttle. I remember he got a ticket once and framed it. Doing 85 mph in a 65 mph zone. He gladly paid the ticket, said he'd be able to prove that truck could go that fast now...

Herb

Mooseherder

Looks like you almost made it through Dodgy.
Had you been able to travel a couple more feet forward we wouldn't even know you wonder the woods in yer underwear. :D

Magicman

???  I guess that we could DNA that hand print and determine who the truck driver was......Maybe?? 

I do know this in the driver's defense.  Someone with some giant 35" tires and made that puddle much more than a normally equipped truck could ever cross.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

once our frozen tundra thaws alittle our roads look like that for months :D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on March 21, 2014, 09:35:13 PM
...  My phone rings, it's my Poplar guy. ...

Lynn, that Poplar guy looks kinda Lonely to me...

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Herb

Red Clay Hound

I have no idea who the guy in the boxers is! ::)
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Magicman

WDH

If he had ever sawed with Tom, he would have had no trouble carving the spoon he would need to eat a can of peas  :)

Magicman

Speaking of stuck, I got the zero turn stuck yesterday while mowing the lawn.

Those wide flat tires don't cut in, they have enough flotation to just hit a slick spot and spin.  Getting it out was no easy chore.   :-\

Hilltop366

That is just a little puddle just need to remember the first rule of off road driving.

1: Anything can be overcome with the proper velocity.

richhiway

I had a lot of calls for stuck trucks when I was in the wrecker business, I never pulled out a guy in his skivvies though!
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

sprucebunny

Makes me wonder if his clothes were so wet and muddy he couldn't move and took them off or if he took them off before he got muddy ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Or, maybe that's all he had on in the first place. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Yes, he might have been traveling light. 

Bill Gaiche

Half necked lumberjacks are hard to find. But when you do its nice to have a camera to prove they exist.  That may have been his safety gear that he had on. bg

red oaks lumber

kinda reminds me of the guy who went bare hunting :D the briars really tore him up ;D

Wick

Who is that "Un-Masked" man?  ;D
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Peter Drouin

You can start a TV show [ the naked logger] ::) :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

It is the yellow poplar slabs in the back of the truck that gave him away. 

Magicman

He was a true Redneck because he waited until he was completely wet and muddy before stripping down.  I will testify that he had jeans on when we sawed the Poplar.  Muddy jeans and also shoes.   :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 23, 2014, 12:24:08 PM
You can start a TV show [ the naked logger] ::) :D

I've heard it all now.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Stay tune for previews of The Naked Sawyer.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Are you saying we're going to get some selected shorts? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: thecfarm on March 23, 2014, 06:46:40 PM
Stay tune for previews of The Naked Sawyer.  :D

Good one  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 

materhead
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Is David running around naked too?  Or, did he just get fire ants in his pants  ???. 

Magicman

The "other" pictures that I might have taken will command a high price.  How 'bout $300 per slab  ???   :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on March 23, 2014, 08:43:34 PM
The "other" pictures that I might have taken will command a high price.  How 'bout $300 per slab  ???   :D

:D :D smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Delawhere Jack

The obvious question is:

How can we get the Swedish Bikini Team to take up milling.......... huh-smiley

Them I would stop for. This guy..........not so much...... :-\

Magicman

At least we now have a standard to judge ugly by.   smiley_gorgeous whiteflag_smiley

sprucebunny

I am probably in the minority having a different perspective  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Magicman

OK, I'll have to give you that one sprucebunny, but at least those brown plaid drawers were ugly.  Let the record show that he did always have them on.  :o

WDH

Magicman

Yup, it was a "Kinda Sasquatchy" experience.   :D

Dodgy Loner

I'll say this- that feller doesn't look too bright, but he does look like he knows how to have a good time! :D

Magicman

I did not notice whether that top slab could be used as a diving platform.  ;D   :D   :D

Tom L

I've been there once, down to my underwear, in mud up to my waist, digging out a truck, that was buried up to the windshield.
I look up and see this old lady walking her dog down the same dirt road. did I ever get some looks   :D :D :D

I hope no one stripped down to get that lawnmower unstuck :)

Nomad

Quote from: Tom L on March 24, 2014, 03:31:42 PM
I hope no one stripped down to get that lawnmower unstuck :)

If he did, PLEASE tell me there are no pics!!! no_no :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

WDH

This could get even more ugly. 

Bill Gaiche

Oh man, the good,the bad and the ugly. bg

backwoods sawyer

see why we don't show pictures of our western satchsquawch any more  ;D
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

POC

The running joke among my friends is that a day in the woods isn't complete for me if I didn't get something stuck in the mud.  >:(
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

backwoods sawyer

you know there is a difference between being stuck and being temporarly immobolized  :P
Pack enough slabs to fill in all the deep holes that the big tires left wash them off when you get home and sell them as reclaimed  :D

Magicman

Heck, I had my hands full just reclaiming that stuck guy.   :D

backwoods sawyer

hope there is no pictures of that  :o :)

John S

Just saw this post.  What is the temperature down there?  Most of the snow has melted here, but temps currently below freezing, nobody running around in their skivvies!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

Magicman

We were in the 70's that day.

Thank You Sponsors!