iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

if you where to do it all over again?

Started by sawhead21, March 21, 2014, 08:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawhead21

if you where to start all over with your logging business. what would you do differently?. anything marketing your wood. equipment you should have or should not have bought. or just your complete setup.

im looking to go on my own in the next year or so and just want to hear some things you would do different 8)

treeslayer2003

only thing I can think of is getting a knuckle boom sooner.

Nemologger

Yeah, I would say getting a knuckleboom and cut up system sooner would be on top of the list.
Clean and Sober

Decked

I'd suggest staying SINGLE   :-X
no sense buying stuff twice :)

stoneeaglefarm

Depending on your interest, If your young and like to cut wood, Ot not young and like to cut wood, Get a saw a good skidder and stay small, This buisness is weeding out alot of folks in the middle, So expensive to buy alot of equipment, fuel, up keep, Finding lots, The small guy is making a come back somewhat because there are few doing it and alot have gone to machines that do everything, Go real big and pray, Stay small and enjoy less stress. Good luck to ya.

Autocar

I agree with some of the other guys stay small but spend enough on a skidder that your in the cab more then under it working on it. I think one of my best investments were the tri axle with a rear mounted prentice and my equipment trailer so I can move my own skidder and I put pockets in and can drop four by fours in and haul logs also. I give this advice but find its hard to live by, as a example I try to buy thirty Good trees rather then cutting a hundred and making the same profit. Ive worked two weeks for ten thousand and Ive worked eight hours to make the same amount. Good timber will aways bring good money even when times slow down.
Bill

Southside

I would trade it all in for a Pirate Flag and an Island Girl.   8)
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

craigc

Autocar nailed it.  Why cut a 100 cottonwoods when you can cut 10 walnuts.   Staying small allows you to look for the jobs you want.  Go big and you are looking for jobs you need.
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

NS logging

I can't begin to count the ways my crane and slasher made things so much easier and more productive, but starting with a dependable skidder is good advice too

luvmexfood

Quote from: stoneeaglefarm on March 22, 2014, 08:11:31 AM
Depending on your interest, If your young and like to cut wood, Ot not young and like to cut wood, Get a saw a good skidder and stay small, This buisness is weeding out alot of folks in the middle, So expensive to buy alot of equipment, fuel, up keep, Finding lots, The small guy is making a come back somewhat because there are few doing it and alot have gone to machines that do everything, Go real big and pray, Stay small and enjoy less stress. Good luck to ya.

Well said. LESS STRESS. I also like Decked's advise. HA. I cut on our family farm and have had several people ask or hint real strong if I would come and cut a few acres that the larger guys don't want to fool with.

Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

ehp

move down in to southern Ontario alot sooner as the timber is worth so much more than up north

goose63

Quote from: Southside logger on March 22, 2014, 12:02:44 PM
is there a like button no this idea 8) 8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sawhead21

I'm looking into getting a 540jd or something of the same size. Looking to do maybe 20 acres max wood lot. I know a few of people that will let me cut there land when I'm ready. BUTT I need to find jobs after that which I do not know anything about "yet" . Maybe down the road if all goes well I would like to try out a portable saw mill ;D

Corley5

The first time was enough.  I don't want to start over  ;) ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Stick to selling logs,it's easier. I have some trees on my land, I have logged it with my Father. Much easier than sawing and trying to sell the lumber.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

tule peak timber

visited a sawmill before I  reinvented the wheel LOL !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Maine logger88

Like autocar said I'd start with the best equipment that I could afford to minimize breakdowns but a lot of stuff you just need to chalk up to experience and the only way to really learn (at least for me) is by doing it and then always trying to improve on methods equipment etc
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Woodhauler

If i had to do it again, i wouldn,t!  I would have taken up some other trade! I was a electrians helper in high school. My boy is a electrician for cianbro up here and makes BIG money!  Benifits, vacations and all the good stuff!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Bobus2003

I would went big from the start, and when the opportunity arose to buy big I would take it instead of listening to the nay sayers of "how bad the market is". If i was gonna fail might as well do it big and while I was young so I can rebound.

luvmexfood

Personnaly I would have a plan B backup. Take some classes from an acrediated college in something: Welding, electrical, computers or what you may chose. Then if things didn't work out you would have something to fall back on.

At the ripe age of 28 I went to work for an airport. Learned all I could and have several certifications. When at the ripe old age of 51 they generally decided they wanted to get rid of me an hire someone in at a much smaller salary. Lesson learned by me was only qualifications I had would be to relocate and hope for a supervisory position because I am to old to drag fire hoses and chase people. Most airports in the US require their police and firefighters to be cross trained in both fields.

Luckly, I had some family owned land with timber to fall back on but this winter has been tough.

luvmexfood

Quote from: Southside logger on March 22, 2014, 12:02:44 PM

I also like Southside logger's advice. Move to a tropical location, find a sweet Island Girl, and sell trinkets on the beach. Have heard that in some island cultures. Well never mind. Don't want to get censored.

tj240

Quote from: sawhead21 on March 21, 2014, 08:47:14 PM
if you where to start all over with your logging business. what would you do differently?. anything marketing your wood. equipment you should have or should not have bought. or just your complete setup.

im looking to go on my own in the next year or so and just want to hear some things you would do different 8)
start small but i believe a loader with slasher the way to go saves alot of time you can cut wood pile it then slash it when you dont want or can cut wood good luck
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

lynde37avery

only thing i would have changed is i would have just wanted to start earlier with buying a woods machine. i like my setup. chainsaws/skidder combo works great.
Detroit WHAT?

Jhenderson

Southside

On a more serious note, weather or not you stay small or go big, the key is to avoid debt.  Grow the business organically, or from itself.  It is so easy to look at a payment and know just how much more income that piece of equipment will make, and how the payment will be no big deal, then reality hits.  There is nothing wrong with buying a decent, older, skidder that you work with for 6 months to a year, then upgrade, and do that several times to get into better equipment that you own outright.  I know guys who have $15K debt service each month, when something goes wrong - like this past winter as an example - they loose their mind, keep in mind that is money you have to clear after all of your expenses.  I do know of a couple guys who are big and can pay cash for new skidders, trucks, etc, but they have been in business for 30 years to several generations, you can not and do not want to compete with those guys. 

Personally, I think staying small has major advantages, and I have done it both ways, it is nice to be able to park the equipment and not worry about having work for the employees, not having to chase jobs and bid your prices up, and take home down, just to keep cash flowing. 

You will bust your butt as a small operation, but you don't have to pay for a gym membership as a result, and putting any where from $1K - $3K into your pocket each week for doing something you enjoy is nothing to sneeze at. 

That being said I would still make the trade if I had the option.   :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Firewoodjoe

That's what I'm trying to do. Work for someone and slowly by my equipment so I only have wood and fuel debt. For the most part. When I get my firewood processor paid then I'm buying a dozer or skidder

Thank You Sponsors!