iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Standerd Galv. or Black Pipe Cant hook

Started by elk42, March 21, 2014, 08:35:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elk42

For the new mill owners this is what happens when using 1" Pipe for a handle.
Money was short so I made this one, don't do it. Buy a good one

Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Chuck White

I'll vote for the 2 on the right  smiley_thumbsup, besides the one on the left is also heavy ::)!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Milling is tough enough work, no reason to make it harder with "inferior" tools.

Go Blue eh Orange!

DGDrls

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Small Slick

My blue hookeroon literally arrived today. Do other members use the hookeroon?

John

Magicman

I used my Hookaroon and also the Mill Special today.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

trapper

keeps me from having to bend over so far to pick up firewood. ;D
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

36 coupe

I have 2 cant hooks with wooden handles.I cant break them.If I do get rapped by a cant hook handle I would rather it be wood than steel.My Snow and Neally cost 27 bucks.The Peavey was 32.00.I have worked with so called iron pipe for many years and would never use it for cant hook handle...

peterob

i had a metal one i used last year, didn't like it at all going wood

Farmer Todd

Logrites are nice. Hickory all the way. saw some young college kids with blue cant hooks at a woodsman contest. Handles to fat. And no life in pipes

scully

I have used both extensively . Log rights are extremely good ! In my camp my go to is wood handled but my bad to the bone I can spin/role anything is my long handled log rite ! I broke a wood handle a few years back and saved the iron soon it will be refitted w/some osage orange thanks to a thread I saw here .
I bleed orange  .

WDH

Most wood handled cant hooks are can't hooks.  The LogRites are can hooks.  If you use one a lot, you will find that out. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chop Shop

I make steel handles allot.   It seems that anytime hands "other" than mine touch wood handled tools they end up broken.

I agree that wood is lighter and easier on the melon.

But steel (not pipe) cant be beat.

So many different kinds of steel.  Just an old schedule 40/80 off the farm is VERY soft and HEAVY.

Some good ol .120 wall cold rolled DOM is tougher than nails and not very heavy.

Remember that ol pick and collar an that wood handled peavy are made of steel and that tip doesnt bend.  Its all about the quality/grade of the steel.

A small ax with a steel handle is very handy.  Its unbreakable as a prybay and doubles as a nice heavy pool cue for hammering things thru a small opening/hole.

I prefer wood for swinging items, but on things that "pry", I like steel.

JMO!

Chop Shop

Also I will use two steel handles (my peavy and my peeler) for a "bridge" sometimes.   Makes rolling logs from trailer to trailer or trailer to mill easy and no fear of broken handles.

Those logrites look nice, but they are pricey!  Guess Im just a cheapo!

SwampDonkey

Depends on what pricy means. A well built tool that don't break, or a tool you break often and have to keep replacing handles. $100-125 for a lifetime is a pretty good investment. :)

There is also a difference in dependability. The kind that says I can go to work, get the job done, come home and don't have to fix tools to earn my money tomorrow. Or the guy that goes out Saturday, cuts some wood, breaks his peavey and says, oh well, maybe I'll fix that some day and goes to work on Monday as usual at his office job. And maybe gets around to getting a new handle in a couple weeks, or six months. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Logrite makes a very nice tool,canthook or peavey. I have seen them is action and I want one. I can tell they bit better than my old peavey. My Father used a peavey ALOT. I can still him him say to me,kinda loud,Don't jerk that handle or you will snap it right off. A steady strain is all you need. I have 2 of his that was used way before I was born. I replaced a handle in one about 30 years ago. Nothing a matter with the handle,but where the point went in was rotted. The point would not stay in. Seem like a handle then was $50!!  Every time I use a peavey,I can still hear my Father. I also have a bunch of hooks hung up in the old farm house. My Father would have them there so when the old hooks would bend and not grab the way they should he would swap it out for a good one. After so many he would take them to a blacksmith and have them re bent.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

caveman

I made a cant hook handle out of DOM tubing last weekend.  It weighs about the same as my log rite.  I have not used it on the mill yet but I did move a few cull logs around with it prior to painting it.  I think it will work out well.  I may add a spike to the bottom of it so it will stand up while not in hand.  If it turns out to do okay, I will probably also make a short one
Caveman
Caveman

Magicman

I have used wood, I have used pipe, and I have used steel tubing.

Pipe in the center and steel tubing on the bottom.

If it ain't a Logrite, then it just ain't right.   logrite_cool

Cguignard

I just have one thought on the logrites, I love them but i wish they welded a plug in the end to keep out water. I know they have the rubber grips but I am worried about one filling with water and freezing, if the rubber cracks.
I know that I sould pick up tools and put them in side but I am not always the one to use my tools.

thecfarm

I would not be worried about that,when and IF I ever buy one. They will send a replacement,if needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Magicman on March 26, 2014, 08:22:12 AM
I have used wood, I have used pipe, and I have used steel tubing.

Magicman
that is quite a collection of tools you have tried. 
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Cguignard on March 26, 2014, 08:26:27 AM
I just have one thought on the logrites, I love them but i wish they welded a plug in the end to keep out water. I know they have the rubber grips but I am worried about one filling with water and freezing, if the rubber cracks.

Cguignard

Water will eventually drain through the pin hole at the tip.
We cant put a plug in the end because there would be no way for us to put the grip on as we use air to install the grip.
if you rip the grip you can replace the grip, we sell replacement grips or you could get a cap to put in the end.  you could try caplugs.com

Tammy

Jeff

I know that Tamiam never puts their personal tools away. They leave them lay about where they use them. Why would she do that? Well, it's on purpose. They treat those tools in a way that most of us would not treat them, so they know how they respond when someone does exactly what they are doing. It is real world testing and it is planned.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

OK, so it is about time for me to upgrade my Logrite picture.   :)

One 60" and two 48" cant hooks.  A 30" Hookaroon and a 24" Mill Special.   logrite_cool

Tam-i-am

Quote from: Jeff on March 26, 2014, 11:46:58 AM
I know that Tamiam never puts their personal tools away. They leave them lay about where they use them. Why would she do that? Well, it's on purpose. They treat those tools in a way that most of us would not treat them, so they know how they respond when someone does exactly what they are doing. It is real world testing and it is planned.  :)

Here is a tool we don't use but it has been standing in a field since 2004.  We just wanted to see how long the grip will remain soft left to the hot sun, rain, snow and whatever New England weather can throw at it.  Every now and then we have to go and stand it back up.

This tool is not quite as old but from looking at its tip and logo it is an oldie but goody :D  It stays in the field by the log pile.  Again never comes in.  Has been buried in snow and ice and resurfaces in the spring.

This is the newest tool of the bunch but still a few years old as it is blue and not yellow.  It stays by the wood furnace.  When not in use it lies there on the ground.  Logs have been dumped on it and the tractor has driven over it a few times.  BTW  I don't suggest trying any of these techniques with your tools.  ;D

WDH

That is an ugly log, even for a LogRite  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

That's the Chip and Dale hotel, you can clearly see the enter and exits.  ::)

;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brucer

The only thing I dislike about the Logrite's is the diameter of the handle. It's about 1/4" to 1/2" too big for my hands.

I have an improved 60" Logrite, which is much better than the original. I managed to trash the handle of my first Mill Special (which in those days was a smaller diameter). There was only about 12" of straight handle at the end -- rolling a 4000 pound log over it will tend to do that. I had already removed the grip material from my 60" tool (to reduce the diameter a little) and I noticed that the inside diameter was the same as the outside diameter of the Mill Special. So I cut 12" off the end of the MS and stuck it in the freezer overnight. The next day I put a torch to the end of the 60" Logrite, and then I pushed the small end into the large handle. It got in about 4" before the temperature's equalized. Now I have a 68" cant hook with a small diameter handle on the end.

I was going to have the two pieces welded together but I didn't have to. The "insert" hasn't budged at all.

Unless you roll something over it, the greatest bending stress on the handle is right where the hook is connected. It gets smaller and smaller as you move toward the end of the handle (which is why the wooden handled ones are so fat at the hook). Personally I'd like to see Logrite make a modified handle with perhaps the last 1/3 of the handle being a smaller diameter. I suspect it would add to the cost, however.

Having said all that, I'll take a Logrite over a wooden handled peavey/cant hook any day.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

caveman

This is the cant hook I built a few weeks ago out of DOM tubing.  The welds are not the best I have ever done.  I have since purchased a hood with a lens that I can actually see through.  The brail method of welding is not my favorite.  I used the cant hook quite a bit yesterday moving some cedar around

.  I painted it Old Kubota orange so that I could find it.  Sharpening the point on the hook really makes this thing stick.  The top of the handle was wrapped with athletic tape. 
Caveman
Caveman

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Thank You Sponsors!