iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sometimes you just have to do it.

Started by Jimmy Mc, March 20, 2014, 10:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy Mc

When I was in high school, my neighbor gave me a young sow for helping him in his tobacco. A couple of days later I was over at the local sawmill and the  was in his way, I thought I was helping. He gave me enough wood to build my pig a small hog hut.
     Last week I went to Louisville Ky. to get some bamboo a lady had listed for free. When I got there she introduced me to her family. As we loaded bamboo we talked about living in the country verses the city. This young lady lives right in the middle of the city and has figured out how to turn her yard into a micro farm. She had even bought 5 chicks, and was showing me the chicken coop she wants.
     I told her if she and her husband would build her coop, I would saw and give them the lumber. You would have thought they won the lottery. They sent me the plans for the coop and I sawed enough lumber for at least two of them. They are bringing their kids and coming up to pick it up this weekend and let their kids play with my donkeys, and just play on the farm for a while.
     I don't know who is the most excited them or me. I am sure fifty years from now their kids will remember the old guy with the white beard that gave them wood for their first chicken coop and let them drive his donkey cart around his farm.
     When Mr. taylor gave me wood for my first pig hut. I wonder if the knew I would rememeber that fifty years later.
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is a really good story Jimmy and I mean that. Thanks for sharing.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

justallan1

Great story, Jimmy.
I'm not sure how old I was when I realized that there were kids (and adults) that had never actually seen farms, horses, snow, ETC.
You are giving them a great gift and I bet a dollar you have a big smile the whole time also.

Allan

muck

Love it
we just had AGday at the capitol
here in Sac, CA.
lots of 4H  fun 8)

underdog

Great story.
It is amazing the memories that stick for a lifetime.

Freedom6178

Great story. Thank you for sharing..  :)
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

Magicman

Good for you Jimmy.  There is nothing that warms the heart more than the joy of giving.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Real nice story Jim, I quite sure the gift of a coop will have lasting memories for their family.  And it sounds like it could not go to a more deserving family,  I know I like to visit the city now and again, but could never see myself living in the city.  Thanks for sharing,       david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

A very nice story and a helping hand.
By the way,what will you use the bamboo for?
We had a produce stand. The young girls,that live up the road,3 of them,call me Cucumber Man,nice and loud and all 3 at once.  ;D  I wonder if they will show up in 20 years and say remember me,I use to call you Cucumber Man? Those girls love thier cucumbers. I let them choose the ones they want and they all get a diffeant bag for thier treasure.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hardtailjohn

Good for you!  You've made an impression that will last those kids (and their parents) a lifetime! I love doing that sort of thing...it really doesn't take that much effort and if it perhaps makes a good memory for someone, that's a pretty great reward!
Allan, I hear ya...I just take it for granted, growing up around livestock, that everyone knows about it..... I was totally shocked last summer when we had our Clydes at the fair here.. 3 kids came up over the week, and said they'd never seen a real horse before!  :o  Totally shocked me, as we're not in a big city or anything...all you have to do is go to the edge of town and you're in livestock country!! 
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Jimmy Mc

Thanks for all the kind words. Sometimes we forget that a small act or gift will make a difference in someone that will last a lifetime.

thecfarm, I'm not sure what I am going to do with it. Just want to have a bamboo grove that my wife and I can enjoy. I made the grandkids and neighbor kids some flutes out of the bamboo I got from this family. I went back to Ky. this afternoon to another young couples house and dug some plants to start my grove. The first week of April I am going to get some timber bamboo to plant. That stuff will get 4 to 5 inches in diameter and 50 to 60 feet tall. That is going to be nice. Well make fences and who knows what else out of it. The uses are endless.
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

bandmiller2

Jimmy, be carefull with that bamboo it will spread like wildfire. Nice thing you did for those folks. I'am tolerated in my yuppie neighborhood because I'am quaint and helpful sort of a period piece. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dboyt

Wonderful story.  We sawyers are in a unique position to provide materials and experiences that will benefit others.  Just need to keep an open mind & heart.  I've done some demos & given the wood to school shop classes.  Love that warm, fuzzy feeling!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

richhiway

That's great. None of us got this far without a helping hand from good people. We all remember someone who took the time to steer us in the right direction. True wisdom comes from unexpected directions.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

kczbest

Good for you! I usually find that when I do things like this that I generally get more satisfaction out of than if I had done something for myself instead. "Doing Right is Never Wrong"
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

SawyerBrown

Great story, Jimmy.  And what an experience for those kids, to discover there is life beyond cell phones and video games and all the stuff that keeps them indoors rather than out enjoying the world.  Thanks for making a difference in a kid's life, even if it's just a couple of 'em at a time.

And it's cool to think that long after you're (we're) gone, those kids will be telling their kids and grandkids about the day that ...
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!