iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm gonna take the %$^&& things off

Started by dail_h, June 17, 2004, 05:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

I think I'm going to take thelog clamps off my mill,I don't seem to be able to avoid hitting them.. Sawing this morning,I hit them 3 times,and totaly wrecked a new blade,only 5 cuts. Cutting "Isebel" pine,really nice logs,but I'm disgusted and it's all my fault
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Danny_S

Either take them off or take the blade off..... I think that's your only other way of saving your blade.... :D
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

dail_h

WOW, " TAKE THE BLADE OFF" I never even thought of that. Now I can hold my cants square,and not wreck anymore blades. Ain't this FF the greatest?

Uh oh ya spose my production will drop very much
      Volume Discount At ER

Fla._Deadheader

Dail, don't feel bad. Today I tried to cut the clamp in two, again. ::) ::)  Makes about the fifth time. ::) ::)  Just try to pay more attention and think about the clamps a little more. Be careful you don't get them cut too thin. Ya might lose a log over the side.  ::) ;D ;D ;D

Are you using Munks blades??? We just scrape the burr metal off the tips of the teeth and keep right on sawing. Thay cut metal real well. ;D :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

D._Frederick

Dail_h,

Get a cat whisker switch and mount it so that if your fixed log post is too high, the whisker will activate the switch and kill the engine or motor.

Works for me, I averaged about 3 blades a year in log post damage, no more after the whisker.

Tom

Pride yourself in the fact that you are doing something.  Lots of mills sit in garages and get waxed but never saw anything. :D

I "test" a blade every now and again too. :D :D

Bibbyman

You've got a better record than I do.  We've had our LT40 Super for 2-1/2 years and I've cut into it one time real good and nipped the top of the back supports two more times.

Here is my "First Cut".

Mary hit the back support just once by just a very little bit - and she's sawn a couple 100,000 bf on it.  But then.. she's a girl. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Mark M

Dail I've hit the dogs on the last 2 new blades I installed and some were on the first or second cut. My stopper rod was pushed out of position and I was too lazy to adjust it. The last blade I figured I would just keep running it as long as it still cuts since I'm working on phone poles.

Bruce_A

Now there must be a little equality on this forum.  This should be sent over to the jokes and fun thread.

ARKANSAWYER

DID You see Bibby's bolt. :o
  Aint that sad. :-[
  My back support is abit higher then the front one and I would be willing to bet that there is not enough of that head to put a wrench on to take it off and replace it.  Almost monththly I shine it up.  
  Just remember;  Scars are Tatoos with stories that you can remember. ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Swede

Bibbyman;

Don´t  You use Monkeys and what mill?  ;) :)
Amerika-Sågen would never stop 1/2 way through a bolt less than 1 1/4" even when the feeding power is set to ~7Kp.

Tom; Testing blades? Do You do it in the morning? ::)
 It´s the way I adjust supports last time in the evening :D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

dail_h

Useing "monkeys" ,and Simons Red Streak. I haven't had any luck scraping the bits out,must be doing something wrong.The wrecked blade is a Simons ,I'm almost sure. Took off 3-4 teeth in a row ,skipped a few took off 3-4 all the way around.
   These are "presharp" blades from Cooks,boy for the little extra in price they sure are nice,sharp right out of the box
   Oh yeah,the wrecked blade is still trapped in the log :( :(Just started a new watch ,3rd shift,didn't even go out to the mill today
      Volume Discount At ER

Bibbyman

Sweed,

The WM was equipped with a WM Double-Hard blade when it was driven into the bolt head.  It well may have cut it off but I shut it down just as it hit.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DR_Buck

Hey Bibby...   8)

Didn't cut my bolt that good.  ;D   But I did round off the top a bit with a BRAND NEW monkey saver!  Took off 4 teeth right after putting it on the saw. :D :D

Dave
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Swede

Bibbyman; So You was standing/walking/sitting there behind the levers, just waiting for the noice?  Must have been exiting.............! ;)  :D

I use to be 30' away stacking boards when it happens. All foreign "music" work as an alarm to me,  I turn around in 8500rpm. or so to  find the right direction to the saw mill. Wish I had a picture to show you.  :D:D:D
  ::) Perhaps I´ve better make my new poles 1 1/2"  ???

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

Swede

Dr. Buck; I make it better! MUCH better!  :D

I made  9 teeth in 1:st attempt  ;D  with a Suffolk/Håkansson chisel steel.

Swede.

Tim

At least when the attempt is made at metal working with a bandsaw, the results ain't too spectacular. I've seen many a circular mill roofs with aftermarket tooth holes in 'em.

I've only sawn into two dogs and one bunk in twelve years... :)
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Frank_Pender

I am sure happy that I do not have to worry about such things with my two MD mills. ;D
Frank Pender

D._Frederick

Hey Frank,

Should I come over and drive a couple 20 penny spikes in your logs so you can share the fun of sawing iron??

Frank_Pender

Nawe, the is ok Don,  you'r welcome to come and visit again as much as you like, but leave your hammer and nails at home, please.   I just found one a couple of days ago while sawying a Port Orford Cedar.    I did not have the slightes idea there might be a 16 in the blasted log, as it had come from a site that was far and away from any house or fence.   I hit it with only the bottom edger blade.  :-/  So, it was only a couple teeth rather than 6 or 7 on the main blade. ;D  The remaining logs will get a touch of the metal detector, that is for sure.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!