iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a cheap chainsaw.

Started by AnthonyLordi, March 18, 2014, 08:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 19, 2014, 07:39:53 AM
You want to buy a cheap saw with plenty of power? Look around and find a clean Mac PM 610 or 650.

It's a little heavy but nearly bullit proof and will cut about the same as any modern saw of the same displacement and can often be found for under 100 dollars . If it's not abused you'll never wear it out . ;D

I can't seem to find them in that price range that actually work. :/

Al_Smith

You could probabley do as well off of Graigslist as flea bay .With Graigslist you are dealing with one person not the entire world .Plus you get to see what you are buying .Factor in a known fact that looking at hard cash has a certain enticement that paypal can never hope to match .No shipping no fees ,win win situation .

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 19, 2014, 08:17:35 AM
You could probabley do as well off of Graigslist as flea bay .With Graigslist you are dealing with one person not the entire world .Plus you get to see what you are buying .Factor in a known fact that looking at hard cash has a certain enticement that paypal can never hope to match .No shipping no fees ,win win situation .

The only ones I can find on my local CL is a MC 380 Power Mac @ $150, and an "Eager Beaver" @$80.

Al_Smith

On those Macs don't pay any attention to what a fleabay seller called "Just David" attempts to fetch for them .That guy has the gift of gab and the type written word .

As a reference those saws sold for $225 with a 20" bar and a bunch of tools .K-Mart sold them .Plain saw no goodys with a16" bar for $169.05 circa 1981 .Fact I have one purchased new from my deceased father .Runs as good today as it did back then .Actually a little better because the old man hada propensity to enhance things a tad bit .

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 19, 2014, 08:27:23 AM
On those Macs don't pay any attention to what a fleabay seller called "Just David" attempts to fetch for them .That guy has the gift of gab and the type written word .

As a reference those saws sold for $225 with a 20" bar and a bunch of tools .K-Mart sold them .Plain saw no goodys with a16" bar for $169.05 circa 1981 .Fact I have one purchased new from my deceased father .Runs as good today as it did back then .Actually a little better because the old man hada propensity to enhance things a tad bit .

The only one that I can actually find there is this: (admin edit: eBay and Craigslist links aren't allowed.)
Are you seeing more results than I am?

Al_Smith

Quite frankly I wasn't looking at any .In addition to my personal one I used when I sold firewood and my fathers I bought 4 one year .

A few needed some mechanical work ,one a new coil and several needed bars and chains .One which was the nicest model I ever saw I gave to my son ,the others I sold for what I had in them to family and friends .

Saws just come to me when I least expect them .If they are decent and reasonabley priced  I buy them ,if not I walk on .

Al_Smith

I'll toss out another idea.The dead pile from a dealer .In my case from one dealer alone and every one 50 dollars or less I've cabbaged on to 6 Stihl saws .Now I'm talking a 200T ,024,038,038 Mag and an 034 Super but it needs some work .It was also only 25 bucks .Last was an 015 for 50 with a case, two extra chains .Perfect condition too .Owned by a doctor no less .

Now don't go that route unless you have some mechanical knowledge because dealer repairs often exceed the value of the saw .Which coincidently is exacting why they were in the dead pile to begin with .

Rockn H

To the OP question.   You say the trees "Have already fell and are pretty small".   For what you're wanting I'd go with the 18" Poulan Pro.  There's been a lot of change, consolidation, buy outs in the chainsaw manufactures.  For the size of saw "category" that you're wanting the poulan pro will last you fine.  The Poulan Pro, like other saws, are now made by Husquvarva and share a lot of the same parts.  Until you get to the larger "comercial" grade saws, you're not going to see a lot of difference.  When you're not planning on making a living toting this saw through the woods the weight shouldn't be that big of a factor either.  I've got a Poulan Pro that has been well used for about 5 years now and it hasn't had any problems.  I use it around the saw mill, carry it in the Ranger to cut trees out of the trail, use it in the boat for clearing log jams, cut firewood at the camp.   I bought this saw to use where I didn't want to use my Stihl and was expecting it to be like the poulan "Wild Things" that I'd seen used.  It's been a much better saw than the "Wild Things" I was used to.   I don't know where you're located, but in my area, if the town is large enough to have a store selling Poulans it also has a small engine shop that does warranty work and sells parts for Poulans.   Don't rely on Poulan's website that shows their "authorized service points"  it's not anywhere near complete. 

Before you start cutting up the trees that are down ( root ball still connected), take a moment and think about the pinch points so you don't get your saw hung while you're sawing.  There are some good videos showing different techniques for cutting downed trees on youtube that could give you some pointers.

THIS IS IMPORTANT..... No matter what saw you purchase, if it has an "easy crank" on it be careful cranking it until you get used to it.   A friend of mine has a MS170 and he bent the spring in the pull crank.  Not realizing the Poulan Pro 50cc had the easier crank feature, I bent the spring on one.   Warranty wouldn't cover either saw and they both cost $20 to fix.

Andyshine77

Quote from: AnthonyLordi on March 19, 2014, 07:59:47 AM
Quote from: Andyshine77 on March 19, 2014, 04:09:19 AM
The 170 will likely do what you need it to. The 50cc Craftsman saw you listed is the same as the Poulan pro 5020. The 5020 isn't a bad saw whatsoever, and has pretty good power for what it is, the downside is the weight.
You seem to know your stuff!
What would be better, the 170 or the craftsman? Price-wise vs. quality?

The Craftsman/Poulan would be the saw I'd buy, but remember you'll have no dealer to back the saw.

You're new to saws, so I wouldn't suggested looking at old heavy beat up saws, unless you want to work on saws as a hobby.
Andre.

Al_Smith

Well there isn't anything wrong with Craftsman saws but never the less I doubt you could buy one for a 100 bucks .Maybe a used one .I doubt Sears has sold a 100 dollar saw in the last 25-30 years .

Fact I worked on one late last year for a guy who payed out a 100 for it even as a used saw .Nice but still used .Bad gas line .50 cents worth of fuel line, a case of Budweiser for good old Al .I even filed the chain being such a nice guy . 8)

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: Andyshine77 on March 19, 2014, 11:16:48 AM
Quote from: AnthonyLordi on March 19, 2014, 07:59:47 AM
Quote from: Andyshine77 on March 19, 2014, 04:09:19 AM
The 170 will likely do what you need it to. The 50cc Craftsman saw you listed is the same as the Poulan pro 5020. The 5020 isn't a bad saw whatsoever, and has pretty good power for what it is, the downside is the weight.
You seem to know your stuff!
What would be better, the 170 or the craftsman? Price-wise vs. quality?

The Craftsman/Poulan would be the saw I'd buy, but remember you'll have no dealer to back the saw.

You're new to saws, so I wouldn't suggested looking at old heavy beat up saws, unless you want to work on saws as a hobby.
Quote from: Rockn H on March 19, 2014, 10:06:00 AM
To the OP question.   You say the trees "Have already fell and are pretty small".   For what you're wanting I'd go with the 18" Poulan Pro.  There's been a lot of change, consolidation, buy outs in the chainsaw manufactures.  For the size of saw "category" that you're wanting the poulan pro will last you fine.  The Poulan Pro, like other saws, are now made by Husquvarva and share a lot of the same parts.  Until you get to the larger "comercial" grade saws, you're not going to see a lot of difference.  When you're not planning on making a living toting this saw through the woods the weight shouldn't be that big of a factor either.  I've got a Poulan Pro that has been well used for about 5 years now and it hasn't had any problems.  I use it around the saw mill, carry it in the Ranger to cut trees out of the trail, use it in the boat for clearing log jams, cut firewood at the camp.   I bought this saw to use where I didn't want to use my Stihl and was expecting it to be like the poulan "Wild Things" that I'd seen used.  It's been a much better saw than the "Wild Things" I was used to.   I don't know where you're located, but in my area, if the town is large enough to have a store selling Poulans it also has a small engine shop that does warranty work and sells parts for Poulans.   Don't rely on Poulan's website that shows their "authorized service points"  it's not anywhere near complete. 

Before you start cutting up the trees that are down ( root ball still connected), take a moment and think about the pinch points so you don't get your saw hung while you're sawing.  There are some good videos showing different techniques for cutting downed trees on youtube that could give you some pointers.

THIS IS IMPORTANT..... No matter what saw you purchase, if it has an "easy crank" on it be careful cranking it until you get used to it.   A friend of mine has a MS170 and he bent the spring in the pull crank.  Not realizing the Poulan Pro 50cc had the easier crank feature, I bent the spring on one.   Warranty wouldn't cover either saw and they both cost $20 to fix.

I have been looking over some YouTube videos over the past few days trying to learn proper usage techniques, I'll definitely go more in-depth on learning to operate it for already downed trees.
If I buy from Walmart, I have no issues with returns, I used to work for the local walmart that I'm buying it from and everybody there knows me so they've been very lenient on the return policies for things that I've either broken myself or are out of the return policy. smiley_thumbsup

So this would be the one to get? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poulan-Pro-18-Gas-Powered-Chain-Saw/22152680#Item+Description
Thank you for your response.

[edit] Should I purchase a different chain if I go with this saw? I've read some reviews stating that the chain that comes with it is awful.

JohnG28

That will likely do all you will ask of it. Don't expect it to be a monster, but do keep your head running it because any saw can bit you quickly. I'd say wait on chain, get it and run it first, and take it from there.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: JohnG28 on March 19, 2014, 04:00:05 PM
That will likely do all you will ask of it. Don't expect it to be a monster, but do keep your head running it because any saw can bit you quickly. I'd say wait on chain, get it and run it first, and take it from there.

Okay, thank you.
What kind of oils should I buy for this?

Claybraker

Looks like it comes with a case, mix for 1 gallon of fuel, and a quart of bar oil. Might want to grab a 5/32" file, according to the owner's manual.

ShaunUK

Jonsereds 70E-Husqvarna 51-Husqvarna 50 Rancher

7sleeper

@AnthonyLordi

Hello and welcome!

First off safety is extremely important! Chain saw chaps cost a fraction compared to the hospital bill! Further treatment is not even included in my example but will surely be needed! Why? Because chainsaw wounds are "dirty" wounds => debris, chain oil, etc. get into the wound and will surely cause an infection! If it becomes a major infection or not depends on luck & a few other things! So the choice is up to you.

Further what saw to choose?
I would not recomend a saw with less than ~40ccm/2hp or more than ~45ccm/3.5hp for your intended task. In that power range you will be able to work nicely. Below can become a pain as soon as the log gets a little larger.

Which brand?
Any of the established. Just to clarify.

Dolmar = Makita
Efco = Oleo Mac
Echo = Shindaiwa
Husqvarna = Jonsered = Red Max = Zenoah (the hobby line = Mc Culoch = Partner)
Hitachi = Tanaka
Solo = Cub Cadet
Stihl just Stihl  ;D

Any of these brands will be totally sufficient!

Watching videos to learn something is a good idea! BUT!!! watch good videos and read quality info. Not the idiots who believe they are doing cool things and surviving!

Good sources would be 
http://www.stihlusa.com/information/videos/

http://www2.worksafebc.com/Publications/Multimedia/Videos.asp?ReportID=36885

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do5DfkHBhtg

http://www2.worksafebc.com/portals/forestry/FallingAndBucking.asp

http://faculty.forestry.ubc.ca/bendickson/FOPRLibrary/Index.html

good luck! and don't kill yourself!

edit: forgot

What would I choose?
Dolmar 421! The last saw you will ever need!

Although I also have a Poulan Pro and like it a lot!

Andyshine77

A 421 is well over $300.00 which is way over his $200.00 or less budget.
Andre.

JohnG28

I didn't catch where the OP said he's located,  if it was said? Only reason is there would be different bar oil to use if you're in a cold climate this time of year. Starting to warm up so maybe a non issue anyway. Otherwise I'd say for good measure use a little more oil in the mix for the first few tanks or gallons of fuel. Ex, use .8 gallon instead of a full gallon, making a 40:1 instead of recommended 50:1. It will be better for the saw, especially during break in.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Weekend_Sawyer

Honestly, if you are just feeding a fire pit you could do it with a bowsaw and axe.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

Having said that if you really want a chainsaw you should have one.

Please remember safety first. Chaps, very important, So are eye and ear protection.
I just bought a new helmet system from Chainsawr (look at the sponsors on the left of the screen)
that has integrated face shield and ear muffs. very nice all in one system.

Keep your chain tight and your scrench in your pocket!
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

KiwiKen

The thing about a chainsaw is that our eyes are bigger than what's in our hands. That is probably how guys feel in Las Vegas. :D

You will never wish you had a cheaper/smaller/lower power saw once you buy one.

If you look at the question logically, you need a machine which will run reliably and keep cutting even in knotty logs and when there is pressure on the bar. Or...you learn about wedges, blocks, and highlift jacks.

Because with a small saw you are going to get jammed some day and its a frustrating experience. If you are prepared it won't be a problem.

Personally I recommend Stihl or Husquvarana. I'd buy an MS211 or preferably an MS251. Yes it is more money but they hold their value, the dealer support is good, and they are simply the best saw you can buy.

Kiwi.
MS 211 C
HS45

KiwiKen

Chaps: I used to spurn these as I would a rabid dog. I was a real man. Ha!

One fine evening (having used a chainsaw over 25 years), I was trimming some willow saplings with my Stihl 066 when I noticed a fearsome nip on my left thigh. That's odd. Hmmm...blood? Pain? Oh dear...

Sometime later my birthday present was a very expensive set of chainsaw chaps and I use them. Enough said.

Kiwi.
MS 211 C
HS45

KiwiKen

Finally an anecdote.

I am fortunate enough to share five Stihl saws with my family mainly because my brother still lives on the family farm (ranch). Three of them are mine.

So, I inherited an 009 Stihl from my dad recently and spent a busy day enjoying cutting branches and generally laying waste to shrubs and small trees. I was pleasantly surprised at how this old machine worked.

Then I reluctantly lifted the 066 which weighs a ton by comparison and snarled through 20 inches of knotted willow in about a minute. It was surreal. The sheer power of a pro saw with a good chain is something you have to experience.

The point is once again, you will never regret having a good saw. For the money look for a used machine and you won't regret it.
Kiwi.
MS 211 C
HS45

jargo432

Quote from: KiwiKen on March 20, 2014, 09:16:35 AM
The thing about a chainsaw is that our eyes are bigger than what's in our hands. That is probably how guys feel in Las Vegas. :D

You will never wish you had a cheaper/smaller/lower power saw once you buy one.

Looking online I thought maybe I'll get a ms391 untill I picked one up.  MAN thats a big saw.  I realized you CAN get too big of a saw.  I would wear myself out doing all of the limbing on an oak tree.  Now if I was cutting big tall straight trees where I would be doing a lot of bucking it would make sense.  After holding each saw I decided for the oak trees in my area an ms271 is the right saw. 

Now I just have to save a little more and I'll be able to buy one.  :D
Jack of all trades.

Rob5073

If you're really looking to stay at or below that $200 price point, check out an Echo CS310. It is a good little saw.  I use mine from time to time to cut up small diameter logs/branches for the firepit.  I have a Husqvarna 545 for the bigger firwood gathering sessions.  They sell Echo at Home Depot but call one of the sponsor retailers, in particular, Baileysonline.  I got a really good deal on the 310.

Thank You Sponsors!