iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a cheap chainsaw.

Started by AnthonyLordi, March 18, 2014, 08:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyLordi

I built a firepit in my back yard last summer, and it didn't get much use... Why you ask? Because I hardly had any lumber!
Why should I buy lumber at overpriced rates when I can cut it myself?
I have a family member with a lot of property and dozens of trees that have fallen years ago that are just waiting to be cut up.
They're pretty small trees, so I don't think I'll need a massive saw, maybe at the very most an 18".
It's going to get a small to medium amount of use, and it's just to keep me and the family warm while we watch movies outside, so beautiful logs are not required. I would like to spend under $200 if possible. (I know this is a low budget, but all it needs to do is cut up logs for occasional backyard fires.)
I have never operated a chainsaw, if that matters to which saw I should go with.

I've been looking at these saws and reading their reviews, but that still doesn't tell me which one is the better buy.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-50-cc-20inch-gas-chain-saw-case/p-07135098000P?prdNo=1
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-18-in-42cc-gas-chain-saw/p-07134190000P?prdNo=2
http://www.sears.com/remington-51cc-18inch-gas-powered-chainsaw/p-07135192000P?prdNo=3
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Poulan-Pro-18-Gas-Powered-Chain-Saw/22152680#Item+Description
http://tmhardwareandrental.stihldealer.net/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/ms170/
http://tmhardwareandrental.stihldealer.net/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/ms171/

Thank you guys in advance.

thecfarm

AnthonyLordi,welcome to the forum. First off you will need chaps. They will kill a 100 dollar bill,BUT since you never ran a saw before. Even guys that have run a saw for years wear chaps. I wear 'em.Than there is ear and eye protection,steel toe boots.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: thecfarm on March 18, 2014, 08:55:02 PM
AnthonyLordi,welcome to the forum. First off you will need chaps. They will kill a 100 dollar bill,BUT since you never ran a saw before. Even guys that have run a saw for years wear chaps. I wear 'em.Than there is ear and eye protection,steel toe boots.

Thank you for the welcome! I've already got top notch safety gear, minus the chaps, may I ask what exactly these are for, and do you have a suggestion for those?
Thank you for your quick reply.

thecfarm

They keep you out of the emergency room.  ;D
Well,that is true. If the chainsaw happened to cut into my chaps when the chain is moving the lining of the chap will explode and jam the chain.
Bailey's at the top right will have them. Chainsaw chaps. There must be a youtube on a saw cutting into chaps too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POC

I had a Craftsman saw before my Stihl.  After a few years it needed new gas lines. And I ran over it with the tractor, had to replace the loop handle, but that was my fault, not the saw's.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Hilltop366

Welcome AnthonyLordi, I don't have any experience with any of the saws you listed but I can add one, my brother has had good luck with his Husqvarna 435, he has cut enough wood to heat his house for two years now with no problems. lots of good reports for Echo as well. Dealer service and location should be a factor for making a decision.

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: Hilltop366 on March 18, 2014, 09:21:10 PM
Welcome AnthonyLordi, I don't have any experience with any of the saws you listed but I can add one, my brother has had good luck with his Husqvarna 435, he has cut enough wood to heat his house for two years now with no problems. lots of good reports for Echo as well. Dealer service and location should be a factor for making a decision.

That model exceeds my budget a bit, I appreciate it though.

There are a few service centers nearby, and there are a few dealer only places locally also, I must say I'm pretty capable of repairs myself on most other tools or appliances, so should that really matter?

Thank you.

bandmiller2

Whats as important as the saw is to drain the fuel and run dry before you store the saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Hilltop366

Quote from: AnthonyLordi on March 18, 2014, 09:28:02 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on March 18, 2014, 09:21:10 PM

That model exceeds my budget a bit, I appreciate it though.

There are a few service centers nearby, and there are a few dealer only places locally also, I must say I'm pretty capable of repairs myself on most other tools or appliances, so should that really matter?

Thank you.

Even doing your own service and repairs you still need access to parts, something to keep in mind.

And yes buy chaps or saw pants.

POC

I'd always go with a Stihl above the others listed.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Knute

I would buy a good 50 or 60 cc saw from a reputable dealer with a good service technician.

sawguy21

For your use and budget,save yourself a lot of aggravation with a better quality used saw from a dealer rather than a cheap box store unit. You won't regret it. If you do buy privately have somebody that knows saws with you.
You will spend less time fixing and more time cutting. Husqvarna and Stihl offer top quality models and have the best support. Jonsereds and Echo are also very good but may not have a servicing dealer in your area. Just my 2 cents CDN 1.8 south of the border.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jargo432

I saw what would be great for you in a pawn shop last week.  They had a Stihl 170 for $125.   I thought about buying it but I've got my heart set on something bigger.

don't forget craigslist and ebay.
Jack of all trades.

Andyshine77

Quote from: jargo432 on March 18, 2014, 11:40:54 PM
I saw what would be great for you in a pawn shop last week.  They had a Stihl 170 for $125.   I thought about buying it but I've got my heart set on something bigger.

don't forget craigslist and ebay.

$125 isn't much less than a new 170 from a dealer, that you know will work.

The OP doesn't need a 50cc or 60cc saw for what he's doing. Go to you're local dealer and pick up a nice little saw and be done with it. Stihl, Echo and Dolmar have a couple of nice options. The Husqvarna's saws around $200 like the 240 are pretty much Poulan saws with a higher price tag, they're even made in the same factory. The Earthquake saws from TSC are well made with mag cases, pretty much old RedMax zenoah saws.
Andre.

LeeB

Do you need a saw for other uses or is it just to feed your outdoor pit? Where are you located and what are firewwod prices in your area. For occasional use, $200 should/will buy you enough to last you for a good while with no safety issues to worry about. A chainsaw is a dangerous piece of equipment.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: LeeB on March 19, 2014, 02:08:46 AM
Do you need a saw for other uses or is it just to feed your outdoor pit? Where are you located and what are firewwod prices in your area. For occasional use, $200 should/will buy you enough to last you for a good while with no safety issues to worry about. A chainsaw is a dangerous piece of equipment.

I had also intended to use it to cut down my father in laws small trees around his garage, and trim some of the smaller branches on a big oak tree in my back yard that are growing toward my home.
There aren't many local firewood sellers, to buy a face cord, I would have to travel over an hour and pay $120, and I don't have a truck so it would all have to be crammed in the back of my blazer. That seems absurd to me lol.
Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 18, 2014, 09:37:06 PM
Whats as important as the saw is to drain the fuel and run dry before you store the saw. Frank C.
Good piece of advice! Thank you.

------

The only local dealers I can find with a good reputation are stihl (already linked) and husqvarna dealers that sell the 240, and they don't give an exact price on their online links from husqvarna, just the MSRP of $210.
(Ebay listing deleted by admins) please read forum rules on posting such listings.

Andyshine77

The 240 is for the most part a Poulan Wild Thing, same engine. The Stihl MS170/171 or better yet 211 are overall better saws.
Andre.

LeeB

Sounds like you have some need for and want a chainsaw. Just please take the safety advice to heart. A chainsaw can teach you lessons that stay with you for the rest of your life.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: Andyshine77 on March 19, 2014, 02:42:33 AM
The 240 is for the most part a Poulan Wild Thing, same engine. The Stihl MS170/171 or better yet 211 are overall better saws.
Do you think the MS170 would suffice for my needs?
Quote from: LeeB on March 19, 2014, 02:58:30 AM
Sounds like you have some need for and want a chainsaw. Just please take the safety advice to heart. A chainsaw can teach you lessons that stay with you for the rest of your life.
I have wanted one for quite some time. Just finding out enough about them has been the issue.
I never mess around with safety, even with simple things like sanding my dining table, I always wear safety glasses, no need for a nuisance or trouble that can easily be avoided by wearing PPE and taking precautions.

Thank you guys for all your help so far.

Andyshine77

The 170 will likely do what you need it to. The 50cc Craftsman saw you listed is the same as the Poulan pro 5020. The 5020 isn't a bad saw whatsoever, and has pretty good power for what it is, the downside is the weight.
Andre.

red

You know what the Best saw is . . . A Sharp saw

Google How to sharpen a chainsaw
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Al_Smith

You want to buy a cheap saw with plenty of power? Look around and find a clean Mac PM 610 or 650.

It's a little heavy but nearly bullit proof and will cut about the same as any modern saw of the same displacement and can often be found for under 100 dollars . If it's not abused you'll never wear it out . ;D

ladylake

A MS170 is gutless but if you patient it will work, also built real cheap.  The best bang for the buck is a CS400 off Ebay, great saws or as Al mentioned a Mac 610 used.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

If your working in the woods you need a gas saw around the yard an electric would be best, possibly a battery saw if you can find one. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

AnthonyLordi

Quote from: Andyshine77 on March 19, 2014, 04:09:19 AM
The 170 will likely do what you need it to. The 50cc Craftsman saw you listed is the same as the Poulan pro 5020. The 5020 isn't a bad saw whatsoever, and has pretty good power for what it is, the downside is the weight.
You seem to know your stuff!
What would be better, the 170 or the craftsman? Price-wise vs. quality?

Thank You Sponsors!