iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dozer Track question

Started by Brokermike, March 18, 2014, 09:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brokermike

After some consideration a few months ago I bought a case 450c dozer, I bought it pretty reasonable knowing that it needed some work. As most things do, it needed more work than I thought, but thats ok, it's winter and I have the time and funds to cover it.

However, I bought a set of used tracks from a very large reputable east coast salvage yard. They sent me three pictures, and assured me the tracks were 70% or better, no loose pads, good pins and bushings, etc. They arrived last Friday in a blizzard. Saturday I got around to unbundling them, and as you might imagine from the title of the thread there were about 30% loose pads, but even worse whomever took them off the previous dozer used a cutting torch and cut right through a pin and bushing!

I called the yard and theywere very apologetic, saying that they never should have sold them and they would work with me on a remedy. That was Monday morning. The nearest track shop is 2 hours away, and would require a trip to drop them off and a trip to pick them up, 8 hours of travel time total, plus loading time, etc. Factoring in the repair cost, and travel time the cost to have them fixed, just to the point that they were sold to me as, would cost almost as much as I paid for the tracks ($1500). I'm also in about $400 in freight.

As is they are pretty much scrap metal to me. I don't want to piece them together with master pins and a universal link, that is the way my existing tracks are, and the reason I bought want to replace them.

What would you guys do? Fix them and try to negotiate a credit so that I'm break even on the cost? Return them and start over?

Any ideas that I'm missing?
Don't Jersey Vermont

uplander

Return them. Make them eat the cost, They knew what they were sending when they shipped them.
They were hoping to put one over on you. Its dishonest and I wouldn't do business further with them.

I hate putting tracks back after they jump off. It seems like it always happens to me on a hillside.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Al_Smith

Try flipping a track in a swamp  some time .A real joy indeed . >:(

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Mike, I would probably send them back. Since they were not truthful from the get go, you may get all your money back through small claims court.....if they won't fully refund you plus shipping.
Hope you have everything documented on paper......that will help. The one with the most paperwork, wins.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

snowstorm

did they come from .....nash...?   i got an ad from milton cat today  track chain the bolts and 2 sprockets $2750. they didnt have a 450 case listed. the deere chain should be bigger than the case. it is probably not cat chain but if it was cheap junk they would not sell it

m wood

Mike, I'd return them also.  Get what reparations you can from them.  I agree with others who say they knew what they were giving you was dishonest.  I bought my cat in the same condition/scenario.  I'm running my tracks to destruction and looking for a good used set every other week oe so. I've popped a track back on twice in 2 years (not fun).  Now I watch every move I make with it.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Brokermike

nope, not from Nash, Wengers in Myerstown PA.

They've been pretty good so far. I'm waiting on a quote from DAW pro track in NY on getting them fixed. I think it'll be almost what I paid for the tracks, but at least I won't lose the $ tied up in freight, so long as Wengers is willing to give me a credit equal to the repair cost.

I did call my CC company (Cabelas) and they're on board with whatever I do and even offered to stop payment. I asked them to wait until I have a better idea if we can all make this work without getting testy.

Hoping for the best, worst case scenario they can give me a credit and send someone to come pick them up!
Don't Jersey Vermont

Dave Shepard

We've used Wengers for a few things over the years, but they seemed to have everything gold plated these days. :D Most everyone I know of around here uses DAW for track work.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

snowstorm

the price that i posted was for a 450 g deere. all new

Brokermike

Don't Jersey Vermont

chevytaHOE5674

How are the pins and bushings? Rail height?

coxy

I got a set of new berco chains and pads and rollers  they are junk junk and more junk the bushing are good but for some reason the pins are shot they brake by the rails and the bearing seals went bad a year after they where put on letting the oil drip out little by little  would never buy anything berco again  just my 10 cents ;D

Weekend_Sawyer

I have put tracks on 2 dozers and for all the work I would not use questionable parts.

Wengers is usually pretty good, I'd try and work with them to get the %70 tracks.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

SwL_Wildcat

Quote from: coxy on March 19, 2014, 09:30:12 PM
I got a set of new berco chains and pads and rollers  they are junk junk and more junk the bushing are good but for some reason the pins are shot they brake by the rails and the bearing seals went bad a year after they where put on letting the oil drip out little by little  would never buy anything berco again  just my 10 cents ;D

Berco, Trex and others have different quality of rails in their product lines. 

When we purchase new Deere bunchers they come with Berco rails that last about 5000 hours.  When we purchase new Berco rails from the same dealer the link castings are different, and we seem to get about 3500 hours out of them before they start falling apart.  When speaking with the dealers PSR I learned that there were different levels of rail from the manufacturer.

edit 3500, not 4500 hours.  Fat finger freddy...  ;)
JD4720 for chores around the house.

Thank You Sponsors!