iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 225D 1978 TRANNY

Started by David-L, March 18, 2014, 06:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

I am having an issue with the tranny popping out of gear, this is not under load but say when you are at the landing pushing up logs and are in 1st or 2nd low. If moving fwd and let off the throttle a bit it will do it sometimes. Could this be weak springs and worn balls on the shifting rails in the tranny cover. No funny noises coming from the tranny and it has done this for awhile. i am wrapping up my cutting soon and the machine is coming back to the farm for fixing and this is something I want to look at. Thanks for your help all.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

shawn55

I looked at a 230 tj and had the same problem. The rails needed to be replaced. Basically a tyranny rebuild in my mind.

smwwoody

Check to see if the shift forks are worn on the ends
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

coxy

Quote from: shawn55 on March 18, 2014, 08:04:15 AM
I looked at a 230 tj and had the same problem. The rails needed to be replaced. Basically a tyranny rebuild in my mind.
not trying to be an ---  but why would you need to rebuild the tranny if the rails are bad and nothing else

David-L

I will check the rails and shifting forks. thanks.

David l

Neilo

I suspect this may be shaft endfloat or individual gear float. Under power the thrust will hold in gear but overrun will move shaft or gear. Hopefully just a shift fork detent.

Neilo

PAFaller

David sent you a PM. I was down this road last summer!! It may be just in the shift lid, but more than likely you have a missing spacer on your main shaft. I think thats what the last post was getting at. There is a keeper that is prone to crack over time and will allow the gears to move on the shaft.
It ain't easy...

loggah

On those new process transmissions there little nylon inserts that go on the shifter fork ends. If they get worn or fall off the fork doesn't move far enough to move the syncro assembly far enough to fully engage the gears.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

David-L

Thanks everyone, I have my hit list going and this will be on it. shipping the remainder of my logs tomorrow and then its over for a bit, or it could stay cold and keep cutting. Crazy winter this year. Trucking has been a problem getting logs north. May call it and do some fixing and move to my cordwood lot after mud season.

jwilly3879

Maine logger88

Yes very nice looking stuff are you shipping them to Robbins
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

The Pine logs have been heading to Irving as there is a middle man involved who is the log truck owner. He gets his cut and I get mine. the first trailers fetched $220 straight through . I was hoping for more as the logs are decent but his cut plus trucking north takes a bite. I am trying someone new today and will be there to check the scale as they scale, load and pay on the landing. $240. I am interested in other venues for logs always and if members have thoughts please speak up. Thanks everyone. March 19th and 14 degrees out at current. 
                              David l

rockwall

Around here everyone thinks Irvings is the way to go, even though it means paying more trucking and usually getting a truck and trailer to haul them. One other buyer for big premium pine logs in Mercer, they have an ad in Uncle Henry's. They pay $800-900. I heard Hancock really needs pine now.

Dave Shepard

I have issues with the 208. Sometimes it doesn't like to come out of 2nd, and more particularly 3rd. Sometimes doesn't like to go into 3rd either. I've learned to deal with it, as long as it doesn't end up in 2nd and 3rd at the same time. :D

What qualifies as a premium log? Length, diameter etc. I am buying stumpage and taking everything so I can get what I need. Going to make blocking out of the tops, I guess.

I see some nice timber quality logs in that pile. I like them when they are just the right size to get the timber, without leaving me with a pile of side lumber. '

Although I don't mind when all the side lumber is clear.  ;D

My growing pile of clear 30' timber logs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

shawn55

COXY, that's what i basically meant.

redprospector

I have no experience with a Timberjack, but when I got my JD 440-B the tranny was in pieces. The man who had owned it had died, and had told his wife it needed new syncro's. I had John Deere rebuild the top shaft, but it still jumped out of gear in low range. After many trips back into the tranny, I finally built up the ends of the shift fork with brazing rod. It worked perfectly....for 2 day's. I bought a new shifting fork and installed it, and haven't looked back in 9 years.

So my 2 cents would be to look at the shift fork.  ;D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

David-L

Shipped the other logs today and got whacked hard on trucking for loading two trailers one mile off site. got charged $500.00, and even payed the trucker for waiting for trailers that are known to be late. Their price said at the landing so i guess there is negotiation ahead before anything else leaves. yes I intend to check those forks out for sure.

David l

Thank You Sponsors!