iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

phoenix / goodwill rebuild

Started by dablack, March 17, 2014, 11:04:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

It has been some months since the goodwill trip and the lumber has been drying well.  I would have started earlier but saving up the money for the floor trusses has taken more time than I thought.  We now have the cash to start.  I would love to show pictures of framing but right now we are still cleaning up. 

My last build ended in fire and I thought it appropriate to start this thread with fire.  From cutting trees down for the good will trip, I still had lots of tree tops, knotty crooked logs, and some rotten oaks.  I also had a huge pile of slightly burned debris from clearing the slab.  The pad for the slab was built on the side of a hill so it was built up on one end by 6'.  So, when I cleared the slab of the old burned debris, I pushed it off the end of the slab where it drops off. 

So, two big piles were made.  Two piles out in the field, and one pile off the end of the slab.  I knew it was going to rain Saturday after noon and I didn't want the fire to get wild so I waited until Saturday at 10am to light them.  There was so much pine straw in the piles that they really took off. 

The above is the slab pile burn from the slab side and from the down hill side.  There was so much wood buried in the old ash and debris that this pile kept burning all Satuday and Sunday through the rain.  The pile is now almost completely reduced to ash and metal. 

The above is one of the field piles.  It burned bright for a while but most of the logs are still there.  It was just too green. 

The other pile didn't get pictured.  It had the old oak in it and some other bits.  It burned really well and was pushed into a tighter pile once it started raining.  It has burned down to just about nothing. 

Next step is clearing away the old RV.  I have no idea how long it will take.  I'm going to hold onto the frame, suspension, and drivetrain.  The RV only had 40k miles on it and the 460/C6 looked pretty good last time I checked.  So, I'm mostly just cutting off the van cab and RV living area.  That will start tonight after work.  They are already saying it is going to rain next weekend too.....

When I start framing will depend on how long it takes to clear the RV.  The truss manufacturer has said they are currently on a 7 day delivery from order. 

Austin

Building my own house in East TX

goose63

Well good the mess is on the way out soon there will be a NEW HOUSE going up 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Bill Gaiche

Hopefully you will get a window where the weather will cooperate so you can get a good start. bg

jueston

Quote from: dablack on March 17, 2014, 11:04:06 AM
The truss manufacturer has said they are currently on a 7 day delivery from order. 

i think last time i ordered trusses i waited 7 WEEKS from order to delivery....

glad to hear your ready to start building, i look forward to seeing the progress....

morgoon

Glad to hear and see you could put a few troubles in a pile or 2 and send them upward

Can' t wait for your progress

Wishing you and yours the best
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Andy White

Austin,
Outstanding news!!! Keep me up to date on arrival and we can frame and stand walls. Will be ready after a short rest. The finals at MMIT were extreme, but I think I graduated. Will talk later.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

dablack

It is amazing what a little cleaning can do for your mental wellbeing!  The place looks much better and I'm ready to tackle the RV.  Work went late last night so it didn't happen and today doesn't look any better.  So Wednesday, IT IS ON!  Start cutting on the RV!  I will get lots of pics. 

Andy,

I will for sure keep you and everyone in the loop. 

Austin

wwsjr

I will be following your building post. Keep us up to date. Not sure I can be there to help, lots of things going on here.

Willie
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

Magicman

Austin, I am just catching up on my reading and it was wonderful to see this thread.  Yes, I will be keeping up with your progress.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Leigh Family Farm

Thats a good start. Its always nice to wipe out and start with a clean slate. This was just a thought I had, maybe you can spread the burn pile ash around your land and help the soil grow better.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

dablack

The "next to the slab" burn pile is uphill from the orchard.  The ditch burnpile is just up "stream" from a 1/4 field where I'm planning all sorts of stuff.  Placement of the burn piles was planned. 

Today is RV day, after work.  I doubt I will get much done by the time I get home but just starting will be a big deal.  All the metal will be going in the scrap pile and the wood bits will be going in the burn pile.  I'm hoping to cut on it for about an hour before dinner.  I will take before and after pics. 

Austin 

Leigh Family Farm

I see the 7 Ps are in full effect for this project. Every little bit of effort will go a long way in the end.

dablack

Not sure what the 7 Ps are but I'm assuming planning is in there. 

Well, the RV sat pretty last night.  I ordered momma a couple of trees for Valentine's day.  They finally came in yesterday.  So, I put in a dog wood, red bud, saucer magnolia, and six tiny azaleas (3" tall).  To keep this lumber related, I framed the dogwood with the lumber stack up in the hill and in the background.  Another 5 to 10 years and these trees will be very nice!  HA!

I'm hoping tonight the RV work will start!

Magicman

Good on the tree planting.  Keep adding species and varieties.

Those are some huge whacks of lumber.  You musta had help sawin'.   :D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Those 10 years will pass before you know it!

Leigh Family Farm

Prior Planning Prevents pith Poor Perfomance

...okay so its 6 Ps. But you get the idea! :D

dablack

Magic,

Yes, I had a few guys come out and help me.  I want to have them all out again when it is done. 
Well, when I got home yesterday, sure enough as you predicted, there were more varieties and species.  I put in three crape myrtle, a red maple, and some more 3" azaleas.   The tallest crape myrle was 12"!  HA!  Good thing they are cheap!  Arborday has lots of good stuff for really cheap but they are TINY! 

Sam,
Yes, I have an almost 11 year old, so I know how fast 10 years can go by. 

Kilgrosh,
How did you know I spoke with a lisp when using bad words?

Austin

dablack

Well, it has been two weeks and the burn pile beside the slab is still smoking.  It has cooked down to just about nothing.  Once it is finally done, I will dig through it a little, pull out the metal and run a magnet over it to get the little stuff.  Then throw some grass seed. 

I finally got about four more hours in on the RV strip down this weekend.  I've got it torn down to the "floor" all the way up to the cab.  Today I'm hoping to start cutting the cab off.  Then I will try and move it with the tractor or truck.  If it still doesn't move, I have some used tires that I can put on there to help it roll. After it is out of the way, I can load the metal and take it for scrap. 

This last pic doesn't have anything to do with building but I'm throwing it in anyway.  In Jan, I put in some sapling apples trees and a couple of pears.  I mulched them with chips made from cut offs from Willie's edger.  Well, the apple trees are blooming.  The wife is pleased. 

Austin

Magicman

I disagree that it "doesn't have anything to do with building". 

It has the "Phoenix Attitude" and is springing forth new life out of the ashes.   :)

dablack

Finally!  The RV has been moved.  It was no easy task.  I'm looking forward to just moving 2x6s and OSB around!

I cut and removed lots of loose and dangerous debris and metal from the RV.  This did take some time. 

After that I tried sliding the RV out from the debris that surrounded it.  No go.  Not with the tractor pushing and the truck pulling could I move it.  So I dug down to the wheels, jacked up the front end and pulled the burned wheels off.  I took these up to Discount Tire where I explained what I needed to Bret and Steven.  I explained that I needed some junk tires and that these tires would never see a road and were to only be used to pull a junk heap out of a junk heap!  I came back and they had mounted up some NICE (but old) 235/85/16s.  I was very pleased.  Best thing was, they did it for free.  I've always used discount tire for their service and price, but now I do it for the kindness.  When I got home I mounted those up and tried again. 

Even with three corners on tires, no go.  The back passenger side wheels were in their own personal hole.  The floor had burned up over those wheels and all the junk had fallen around them.  Luckily the two tires on the back drivers side were still good.  I pulled the outer one and then spent the next hour digging out the passenger side.  Jacked up it up and put the "extra" wheel/tire from the driver side on.  Now we had all four corners on rubber.  With the wife in the truck pulling and me pushing with the tractor, we got it out.  It was tough because we had to have the wheels turned all the way to the left to miss the lumber pile! 

By then it was dark and I was covered with cold, wet ash.  Today after work I will move it to the backside of the property where it will wait for me to turn it into a van flatbed or something similar.  The suspension still looks good and the longblock and transmission are still in good shape.  I will obviously need a new cab!

This weekend is Easter so we will be busy with family activities but next weekend will be FRAMING! 

Magicman

Congrats on the RV removal, and the FRAMING beginning will be a long awaited event.   8)

Leigh Family Farm

I know the RV was a big item on your to-do list, so congrats. Good luck with the framing next week.

grweldon

My prayers are with you on this Easter for good progress and minimal hiccups with your rebuild!

Glen
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

dablack

Thank you so much.

At lunch today I will head over to big orange and the other place to see about 30 sheets of OSB, nails, house wrap and 15 8' PT 2x6s.  That should get the first floor exterior framed up. 

Austin

SawyerBrown

Easter, a time of rebirth.  It even applies to houses!  Congrats!  You going to post some pictures (hint hint)?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!