iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tooling Up

Started by Brian_Bailey, June 16, 2004, 09:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Bailey

I got tired of sawing grade and trying to compete in that market, so I shifted gears a bit an started to chase another market.
My Mizer wouldn't cut wide enough so I bought something that will  :D  :D.

56" Granberg Alaskan mill with a 66" double ended bar and a Jonsered 2095 to pull the chain.

I'll post some pictures of what I'm cutting with this mill in a few days  :).

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

slowzuki

:o I don't think I'd wanna arm wrestle ya!  Thats a hefty set up!

Tom

You have a "slabber" now! :)

MrMoo

Hmmm, that thing looks pretty mean. Good luck.

Norm

That's a mean looking outfit you have there Brian. Are you having the Mrs's run the other end for you. ;)

Brian_Bailey

The weight of the mill isn't all that bad, 40 maybe 50 lbs, I'm just guesstimating though.  

When cutting it will be supported by the log, so it shouldn't be too bad to work with.

Back in the seventies, I milled 6000' LF of red pine cabin logs with a 24" Alaskan mill, it won't take long to get back into the swing of things :).
I'll admit my Mizer has me really spoilt though  :D.

Tom hit it right on the head. I'll be using it as a slabber.

I intend to cut 8,10,12,&16/4 slabs (flitches) from crotch and other not so straight logs in the hopes of uncovering some pretty interesting grain patterns.

Hopefully, Sat. I'll be able to put the saw to work on a large cherry crotch and a really bent chunk of soft maple.
I'll post some pics of the results.

Hey Norm,  
When the Mrs. first saw the mill after I got it put together, she asked what the handle on the end was for?  
I calmly replied, "Why that's for you to hold on to while I'm pushing  ;D."
I think she said something like, "Yeah, picture that!" as she walked away!

Oh well, I'm use to working by myself.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Norm

That's a neat idea Brian, I've often wondered how those mills would work for ripping some of these big white and red oaks into quarters with, sure make q-sawing them easier.

I'll just have to take your word that's what she really said. :D

Brian_Bailey

I know one thing gained by using the Granberg.

You won't have to be concerned with the band wandering on such a wide cut.

That's one of the reasons why I purchased it.

iain

a superb thing about the chain mills is that they dont care about bends
 real low grade becomes real nice around the corner funiture for inside and out ;)

Brian_Bailey

Iain,    I can't agree more.

Here is a picture of some maple that I had sawn on the mizer awhile ago.

Working by myself, it was not an easy job to do on the Mizer because of the odd shape of the log.

That log was destined for firewood at the log yard.

The beauty of the figure in those fliches will be admired for years to come as coffee & end  tables rather than a short burst of heat in a stove  :).

In my area, crotches and short crooked logs abound because they won't split easily  :D.

IMO it's worth the effort to try an get something out those pieces and at worst then feed em to the stove.

Ron Wenrich

So, where are you marketing the flitches?  I can get tons of that stuff, but markets might be a little thin.

The other thing to keep your eyes open for is burls.  I've seen some that it would take your chainsaw mill to handle.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Brian_Bailey

Ron,  

Local craftsmen. I also have orders for certain size pieces.

It's estimated that there are over 100 thousand woodworkers in W.NY. That's why Rocklers has a store in the Buffalo area and Woodcraft has a store in the Rochester area.

Grade lumber is plentiful here, lots of suppliers.  

The stuff I'm offering is not so readily available,right now it's a good niche market.  

Brian_Bailey

Here are some pictures of a cherry crotch I just slabbed up with my new toy mill.

The first picture shows the crotch that was brought up to me. It was 26" in diameter on one end and 41" across on the other end.

Positioning the chunk o' wood was easy using the grapple on my Hardy loader.

Here, I have the mill ready to cut the slab using a homemade guide for the first cut.

The first glimpse of what lies within  :).

This picture shows the mill without the homemade guide cutting the first flitch. The flitches were all cut 2 1/2" thick.

The next 2 pics shows the crotch figure that I am seeking  8) !

Here, the flitches are sticked in order for some air drying.

This was a custom job, I'm keeping 2 of the center cut flitches for payment.

Hope you have enjoyed my little pictorial into the hidden world of crotches  :D :D.

Fla._Deadheader

My kind of cuts.  8) 8) Nice job, Brian.  ;) ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

iain

nice bit of milling :)

ScottAR

I wouldn't call that a toy in any sense...  That's serious machinery!   Beautiful slabs too!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

iain

what is that will classify it as a toy
with linda its either the stupid grin on my face or the look of seriousness when some one is watching (basicly if im enjoying my self to much its because of the toys) ;)

Brian_Bailey

I agree.  

Right now, the way I am running my business, I'm having fun doing what I'm doing  :).

When this endeavor starts to feel like work, I'll have to back off a bit and see if I want to go out an play anymore  :D :D.

I'm glad I took pictures of the two flitches that I'm keeping. Because, I'm already starting to fantasize on how they will look as tombstone door raised panels in an 18th century cherry secretary reproduction I want to make.

Now all I have to do is pull the pictures of them up instead of wrestling the flitches for a look see  :).

Norm

Those are nice looking slabs Brian.

How do you like the slabber attachment you got for your saw? I want to get something to quarter the big oaks we get.

Brian_Bailey

Norm,  so far I'm happy with the mill. It's going to allow me to make some cuts that are impossible any other way.

My only beef right now is on the chain that was supplied by Bailey's ( no relation, I purchased the mill attachment thru them) is not a true rip chain.  There seems to be a long back log from the chain mfg. on getting rip chain.

Bailey's sent me their modified chain ground in house to expedite my order.
It probably works ok in softwoods, but in hardwoods it needs to be ground as a true rip chain to cut efficently. I have a chain grinder so it is no big deal for me to regrind it as a rip.

In regards to quartering the biggies, I would opt for a long bar (36" maybe?) and a rip chain.
I would then cut the log like Urbanlogger has shown in some of his pictures.
The Alaskan mill will only cut to a depth of 13" or so unless you weld extensions to the posts.

Using a guide like the one in the below link would ensure a straight cut with a rip chain.

http://onlinestore.forestindustry.com/cgi-bin/granberg/G555B.html?id=Qfj3WNJN

Hope this is of some help  :).

Norm

Thank you for the link and advice Brian, we do get the occasional wide crotch like you showed. Most times I have to cut the ears off to get it to fit through the throat of the bandmill. Your way sure looks easier. :)

1953greg

brian,  neat stuff!!  i use a 36" mill on a 42" bar.  what sharpening/grinding did you do to the bailey's chain (3/8 .063 10* full chisel) for improvement.  did you remove some tops of the teeth?  i get about 30-35 linear feet of cut between sharpenings in oaks.  is that about par?  also, does the oil line drip oil onto chain or is there a hole in the bar to apply oil to inside of chain where it is needed?  thanks  greg50
good day    greg

Brian_Bailey

Norm,  

I have lost quite a few real nice natural edged coffee table filtches because of the throat limit on the bandmill. That's why I went to the chainsaw mill for these kind of cuts.

The cherry crotch that I showed pictures of, the 2 pieces that I'm keeping wouldn't make good table stock but the feather grain is spectacular and I have a use for it. The rest of the pieces will make beautiful coffee and end tables and that is what my customer wanted. The table flitches would not of been possible to cut on the mizer because of the size of the crotch.

I don't know about easier though  :D :D.

greg 50,

Bailey's was back ordered on their rip chain, so they sent me a full chisel that they reground all the cutters to it appears 20 degrees.
It cut the cherry but I felt that I had to push the mill to hard to keep it cutting.
I haven't yet but I'm going to regrind the chain to the specs. shown in this link.

http://www.granberg.com/ripchain.html

I'm a newbie to this hardwood chainsaw milling ( I'm really a bandman kinda branching out  :D :D)  so I really can't say if 30 - 35 feet is on par. Maybe someone with more experience can jump in here an tell ya.

There is a hole in the bar for a bolt with holes in it that feeds the oil to the bar groove.  They call it a bar oil injector bolt, I call it expensive because I snapped it off when I tightened the nut up too tightly. $11.52 to replace it. I drilled out a 40 cent brass bolt to do the same thing  :).

Furby

Thanks for the heads up on Bailey's back log. I was about to order a chain myself.

Brian_Bailey

Furby,  

I would contact Bailey's as they were expecting a shipment of rip chain to come in when they shipped my mill.

Thank You Sponsors!