iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting Tired Of Clearing Snow From The Mill Yard

Started by Billbob, March 16, 2014, 08:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billbob

Ok, I'm ready for spring!  I've had enough of clearing snow from around the sawmill.  12" of snow three days ago and steady rain yesterday.  Windchill tonight -9F.  Here's a picture of the mill yard with it's 2 inches of ice.  I'll have to spread some sand around so I don't kill myself.

I've been hauling logs all winter and kept the logging trail open.  Now I need a ladder to get over the banks.

Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Billbob

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 16, 2014, 08:40:56 PM
Nice road :)

Thanks Peter.  Just one of several through the woodlot.  Got a few more to clear.

Bill
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Chuck White

Your snow level is about the same as we have here, Bill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

I hear ya, not sure how you guys keep your sanity,  I reckon it is part of life there, but still, enough is enough for sure, we have had 11 events, coupled with great warming days, a real roller coaster,  Whenever its 60 here the next day is a wild card for sure,  lots of mud, wind and cold all mixed up. bring on springtime,  a warm rain would be a welcome sight.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Billbob

Quote from: Chuck White on March 16, 2014, 08:44:03 PM
Your snow level is about the same as we have here, Bill!

And I bet that you are as tired of it as I am!!!!! :D :D

Billbob

Quote from: drobertson on March 16, 2014, 08:45:25 PM
I hear ya, not sure how you guys keep your sanity

And whatever made you think we're sane!!!! ;D

bandmiller2

If we're so DanGed smart why don't we hibernate like the bears. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

red oaks lumber

frank
if we hibernated like bears are bills would be late but, if we took down the mail box so the mail person couldn't deliver them. we would be good! ;D
i so stinkin sick of this winter :( i really wonder if we are just perma frost.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

thecfarm

Nice road. My roads I drag my 3 pt winch a little. I keep it off the packed road after a fresh snow. I have not been in the woods much this year. I'm just doing a little thining up by the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Billbob

Quote from: thecfarm on March 16, 2014, 09:26:22 PM
Nice road. My roads I drag my 3 pt winch a little. I keep it off the packed road after a fresh snow. I have not been in the woods much this year. I'm just doing a little thining up by the house.
I do pretty much the same.  I blow it out with the 7' snowblower.  First heavy snowfall I raise the blower 2" then use the blower as a back drag.  Smooths it out really good.  Then I drive over it a couple of times with the tractor.  That really drives the frost in hard.  Keeps the road usable until April.  I spent a good part of the winter in the woods.  I have several trees down and bucked up into logs but my winch broke.  Doing repairs today.

Brucer

That's why I shut down the operation in the winter ;D.

This winter we had a fraction of the normal precipitation on the west side of the Rockies (I think it all went east for the winter this year). So I was already starting to dig myself out the first week in March instead of the first week in April.

Right now I've got twice as much snow on the ground as you do, and it's much lighter than usual.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

I have taken my small blower,compared to yours,54 inches,down my woods road when we get more than a foot of snow. Mine main road is about 800 feet long. I find that more than a foot is harder to pack down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Billbob

Quote from: Brucer on March 17, 2014, 02:23:25 AM
Right now I've got twice as much snow on the ground as you do, and it's much lighter than usual.

You're probably on alot higher ground than me, Bruce.  We're only about 300 feet above sea level here. Still there is a good 3 1/2 feet of snow in the woods.  I think that it is going to be one of those years where you find patches of snow in the woods in June.

Bill

Billbob

Quote from: thecfarm on March 17, 2014, 08:46:46 AM
I find that more than a foot is harder to pack down.

Yeah, you pretty much have to get the snow cleared out of the way. I find that the key to having a good hauling road is to drag it prior to a big freeze up.  Similar to dragging a ski doo trail. 

Bill

petefrom bearswamp

Mill shut down for the winter, 12,000 ft of hemlock to saw, 700 foot long driveway to plow, about 1 1/2 ft snow,record low here today, outdoor boiler leaking, wood getting low, snowmobiling season done etc etc etc.
c'mon spring! 
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Billbob

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 17, 2014, 11:57:07 AM
Mill shut down for the winter, 12,000 ft of hemlock to saw, 700 foot long driveway to plow, about 1 1/2 ft snow,record low here today, outdoor boiler leaking, wood getting low, snowmobiling season done etc etc etc.
c'mon spring! 

It could be worse, Pete.......it could be December!  :laugh:

red oaks lumber

sadly this winter might still be here come december :D a guy stopped by today wondering if we got his 175 b.f. of birch dried yet? i looked at him and just started laughing , he asked what was so funny with that? i said last  time i saw you little bundle of lumber was about 4 feet of snow ago :) i havent a clue where to start looking. i''ll give you a shovel if you want to start shoveling humps to see where you wood is at. he laughed and said it can wait. good cause it was gonna :D :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Billbob

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 17, 2014, 06:09:07 PM
sadly this winter might still be here come december :D a guy stopped by today wondering if we got his 175 b.f. of birch dried yet? i looked at him and just started laughing , he asked what was so funny with that? i said last  time i saw you little bundle of lumber was about 4 feet of snow ago :) i havent a clue where to start looking. i''ll give you a shovel if you want to start shoveling humps to see where you wood is at. he laughed and said it can wait. good cause it was gonna :D :D

:D :D :D :D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 17, 2014, 06:09:07 PM

smiley_thumbsup  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brucer

Quote from: Billbob on March 17, 2014, 09:52:40 AM
You're probably on alot higher ground than me, Bruce.  We're only about 300 feet above sea level here.

Yeah, about 1030 metres (3400 feet) above sea level.  ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Billbob

Quote from: Brucer on March 18, 2014, 12:15:20 AM
Quote from: Billbob on March 17, 2014, 09:52:40 AM
You're probably on alot higher ground than me, Bruce.  We're only about 300 feet above sea level here.

Yeah, about 1030 metres (3400 feet) above sea level.  ;D

I'd say you're pretty much safe from a potential tsunami!  :laugh:

Magicman

You guys that live in the Mississippi River watershead system.  Remember that all of that stuff has to come by me before it reaches the Gulf of Mexico.  I hope that the levees hold and it does not flood South Louisiana.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jmouton

me  too   ,,  we've  got  over 7 and a half ft of snow around  the detroit area , and its finally  melting  , slowly  and  trust me i was tired of plowing  our mill area too 

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Billbob

Quote from: jmouton on March 19, 2014, 09:58:03 PM
me  too   ,,  we've  got  over 7 and a half ft of snow around  the detroit area , and its finally  melting  , slowly  and  trust me i was tired of plowing  our mill area too  jim

Jim, as the saying goes, "there are only two seasons.........winter and July!"

Thank You Sponsors!