iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

boards increasing in thickness

Started by JB Griffin, March 16, 2014, 04:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

what type of wood are you cutting? if its pine then you may throw on a hardwood log and see how that cuts out for you. pine needs more set in the band than hardwood.
band tension? if you do not have enough band tension the band will rise in the cut sometimes...
lay a square or a level across the cant and see if it is rounded at all.

JB Griffin

Just got back from the mill and the guides were of a little still, adjusted them again and its a little better the boards were now the same thickness on both ends but the cant was still thinner on one end (the starting end).
Going to try a new red oak log tomorrow and see what happens. I really think Im gaining on it now but not quite there yet.

Thanks again.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

ladylake

If cutting straight and your cants are thicker on one end with a overhead track your top track is not even with the log bunks.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JB Griffin

Ladylake how do you recommend to check for unevenness, measure form each bunk?
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Brucer

I think Steve's got the answer, and yes, you measure from each bunk.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

5quarter

As usual, I'm posting first, reading later... ;) I suspect that the cant is lifting up on you. Flip it 180 and take a skim cut. If the taper is out of the cant, then you can rule out trouble with the blade. My apologies if I'm being redundant.  :)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

JB Griffin

I think I've got it at least part way figured out, my mill is designed to use 1.5" blades and I been running 1.25" blades so the teeth were runnin on the steel idle wheel and there for mashin the set out of one side causing the blade to slowly dive, or at least I think.
New Munkforssager 1.5" blade should be here in a day or 2 and i'll try it again. If this don't work I may have a mill for sale as I have been fightin this thing for almost 5 months. :-\

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Take your time JB......they still haven't found that plane.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ga Mtn Man

Your blade isn't going to dive in a straight line from one end of the board to the other.  If your cutting a wedge shaped board then either the sawhead isn't a consistent distance from the bunks or the cant is lifting.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

JB Griffin

my track has sagged about ¼" in the middle but the boards aren't consistent with the way the track is bowed and the cant ain't lifting, 5 diferent logs aren't going to react exactly the same.

David if this don't work they might just find that plane first if not this mill is gonna leave and be replaced by a Cooks or WoodMizer. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

JB Griffin

JB Griffin

I really was thinkin a little more red than that it seems to me you get more for the money with a Cooks.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: JB Griffin on March 20, 2014, 09:23:30 PM
I think I've got it at least part way figured out, my mill is designed to use 1.5" blades and I been running 1.25" blades so the teeth were runnin on the steel idle wheel and there for mashin the set out of one side causing the blade to slowly dive, or at least I think.
New Munkforssager 1.5" blade should be here in a day or 2 and i'll try it again. If this don't work I may have a mill for sale as I have been fightin this thing for almost 5 months. :-\

That would do it, when i bought my mill it had steel wheels and an alignment issue, bad idler suport arm bearing ect setting the tracking was real touchy and when it was out the saw would walk back on the wheel taking out the set, it would rise up in the cut and the cut would have a slight crown, path of least resistance. Hope the new saws resolve the issue.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

JB Griffin

Got the blades today and the first log and the blade did exactly what it wanted to and nuthin else.
Culled that log and on to the next and it cut just about perfect, same thickness on both ends, Thank You Lord. 8)

5quarter

What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That's good......they're getting close to that plane.  ;D

ladylake

Quote from: JB Griffin on March 26, 2014, 12:20:47 AM
Got the blades today and the first log and the blade did exactly what it wanted to and nuthin else.
Culled that log and on to the next and it cut just about perfect, same thickness on both ends, Thank You Lord. 8)

You really shouldn't have to cull logs, how much down pressure are you running.  Too little and the blade will do what it wants.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JB Griffin

David im gettin close to gettin all this mess figured out, but they might still beat me to that plane.
Steve im runnin about ¼" down pressure on the blade. That log was a crooked white oak butt log with signifcant butt swell.

SawyerBrown

Quote from: JB Griffin on March 26, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
... with signifcant butt swell.

Happens to all of us with age ...   :D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

reswire

I have a 27 hp gas, and when I cut dry logs(when the inside is wet, and the ends are dry and hard), the same thing happens to me.   The end of some oak logs can get real hard, and if I don't slow down, the same way I enter, it travels like nuts (kinda like when you hit a hard knot).  Maybe this is happening to you??? ???
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

JB Griffin

Quote from: SawyerBrown on March 26, 2014, 09:12:30 PM
Quote from: JB Griffin on March 26, 2014, 08:38:56 PM
... with signifcant butt swell.

Happens to all of us with age ...   :D

Sawyer how'd you guess. :D
Reswire That is quite possible those log had been on the yard for 2-3 mo.

ladylake

What hook angle are you running, old white oak likes 4° or maybe 7°. Make sure that down pressure is at least 1/4 ".   Steve

JB Griffin

Runnin Munksforsager 1.5" .043" 7° right now and sawdust removal sucks on cedar and oak.

hookdrvr

JB,
I was running into similar problems with my mill. I also wanted a more accurate cut than I was getting with the scale and pointer on the side of the mill. I replaced it with an electronic yard stick which now allows me to see any variance in the mill as I run the head from one end to the other. Part of my problem was the head not being parallel to the bunk, one side of the head was two teeth further ahead on the pulling chain then the other side, and the jacks were sinking into the ground halfway through milling. I squared the head, adjusted the chain so each side was pulling through evenly and changed the leveling jacks to a crank down boat trailer type for infinite adjust-ability, All this made a world of difference in milling. My boards are more consistent to the dimensions I need as well.
Timber King B16
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
Leonardo da Vinci

Thank You Sponsors!