iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pack Rat

Started by Autocar, March 16, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

When it comes to being a pack rat Iam close to being the king of them. Saturday I was looking for a hydrawlic fitting for the prentice and found everything but a fitting. Every spring I think to myself throw it all away and clean the shop up but when fall gets here its looks the same with a few additions. Then I get into this mood to organize all the different parts, screws and bolts hoses, fittings and the list goes on. Even that seems to fail I back up a little and look at all the hyd. pumps and cylinders and all the rest of a loggers world and walk back to the house with the thought well maybe tomarrow any body else in the same place ?
Bill

sandhills

It would be farming stuff but ya, pretty much the story of my life.  My neighbor told me a story a few years back that I always chuckle about, he and his wife decided to clean up around the farm and loaded a bunch of scrap iron on the trailer, before they got out the driveway the trailer broke and they had to dig through it all to find a piece to weld back on  :D.  "Never throw anything away" is his new motto.

thecfarm

I got a farm house that is filled just about every nut,bolt,spring,really anything that will fit in a front pocket of a pair of jeans. BUT I have no idea what room,be it up stairs or down stairs. At least I have it narrowed down to what house.  ::)
My story is kinda like sandhills. But mine is when I go to the dump,I come back with more than I went with.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MrPete

My Father was very much like you guys.  Luckily, my wife broke me of that habit early on in our marriage.  But I can tell you it wasn't the likes of my Dad.  I remember having a few discussions with him, the final words were " If you want it take it!"  Lol  With that said, he passed a couple of years ago and I still have to throw that stuff away!!!

Red Good

My buddy says one day , let's go to the mall , so we jump in the truck and off we go . End up at the community dump and came home with a riding tractor and 2 mowers and several sheets of plywood !! Guy was nuts for re purposing stuff .Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

shelbycharger400

at least if i go to the dump, i only drag home a log or 2.  In the past ive found ratchet straps, cable and hooks, and a 6 foot choker chain.  they came home with me on seperate occasions.

gspren

I sometimes say I have any tool that you could think of but it may take awhile to find it.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

drobertson

My dad passed down his pack rat'n to me, and the wife says no, no, no,  and to be honest, I'm really glad, last week at dad's was a real eye opener, lots of tools, just where?  I found two, three and four of the same, he always did like hitting the flea markets with Uncle Pat  ;D 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Alcranb

My downfall is procrastination but my wife  :o oh brother! hates to part with anything  :) and has one terrific memory so trying to sneak something out.......
But hey if this is the worst any of us are.....ain't life grand!!!! ;D
Btw "re purposing" I like that  ;)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Peter Drouin

I just went to the dump and came home with a box with 30lb of new nut and bolts all sizes, and a 14" wood bansaw , I plug it in and turn it on and It ran find. I had times all the weed whacker or lawn mower needed was gas ::)I am all full but I give the things to the kids. :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Bert

QuoteI sometimes say I have any tool that you could think of but it may take awhile to find it.

I have a bad habit of throwing tools for repairs in the woods in an old five gallon bucket. Makes it hard to find what your looking for. My dad always says " just stir it until what you need comes to the top".

I too am a pack rat but I can change......
Saw you tomorrow!

chevytaHOE5674

I don't usually throw farm/equipment related things away because you never know when you might need them. Every now and then I will clean some junk up and scrap it and usually within a few days I end up needing something I scrapped. 

justallan1

I'm pretty bad on being a pack rat and have even been called a hoarder. ;D
I bring home old 4-wheelers, mowers, saws, scrap metal, ETC. but generally either have them working or fashioned into something else in a short time.
Before I moved from California about 10 years ago I had bought 5 storage units and a Jeep for $1,500, well I made my money back just on the Jeep and got most of the rest sold, but I think there's a bit of the stuff left that I've never took out of my 5th wheel camper since the big move.
Yup, it's time for a yard sale! :D

Allan

Stephen1

I asked my son, When I'm gone there is a lot of good stuff in the barn, what will you do with it?
His reply, don't worry Dad , we won't even open the barn door. We will bulldoze it and everything in it..
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

I needed a power relay yesterday.  I have (had) two but I never did find them.  Had to make a trip to the alternator shop and buy another.  Probably when I start looking for my brain, I will find them.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Stephen1,hold the bull dozer.   ;D   How many trips would it take to get your stuff to Chesterville,ME ?   :D    I still have some room left in the old farm house.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Coon

My dad was an anti-pack rat.  He used to say that everyone should have to move every five years so they would rid of all their old junk....I think he said that because he wanted their old collection for his hoard of a million and one projects.   :D   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

What gets me are the ones that don't have the room too keep all that good stuff. Guess where they show up to find all that good stuff?  :D

Chuck White

When I was still in the Air Force, if I had stuff that I hadn't used in a years time, it would either be sold, given away, or thrown out!

Not so much now that I'm retired!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Autocar

I remember the day my sisters and I went to my dads farm to clean the house and buildings out. The girls went to the house and myself and brother in laws went to the out buildings. The boys started throwing everything in a junk pile and I was grabbing it as fast as they threw it out the door. Then I got smarter and backed the truck up to the door  :D. Most of his steel collection was tool steel so dang hard it was worthless for my kind of repairs, some of his old tools I use every day and wonder to myself how old they may be. And alot of it has found a home under the work bench just like his place only difference its four miles further east  ;D.
Bill

coxy

my dad and wife are (packhoarders ) they don't throw any thing a way some times I wonder how we even have garbage to put in the bags :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) old bolts that are half striped he says you might need that some day to get out of a jam must have at least 8 5gal buckets full of that stuff  the wife never throws any papers or books out except for my northern logger  >:( >:(

Billbob

My wife calls me a hoarder.  I say I'm a repurposer.  In the corner of the shed is where I keep all the metal odds and ends, left over pipe, flat bar, square tube, etc. Pieces 1" to 2' long.  She calls it my junk pile, I call it my stock pile. ;) 
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Farmer Bill

I know I'm a little late here on posting but perhaps someone will understand. I too am a Pack Rat and an avid Garage-Saler. Having lived on the same 18+ acres for about 50 years I have accumulated a bunch of "JUNK"  -  which now brings me to my point. "Junk is stuff that you throw away and Stuff is junk that you keep."  - Now which do I file this under, STUFF or JUNK?
"The Junk Box"

My father often used to say:
"My boy don't throw a thing away:
You'll find a use for it some day."

So in a box he stored up things,
Bent nails, old washers, pipes and rings,
And bolts and nuts and rusty springs.

Despite each blemish and each flaw,
Some use for everything he saw:
With things material, this was law.

And often when he'd work to do,
He searched the junk box through and through