iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fun, Friends & Walnut

Started by Magicman, March 15, 2014, 09:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I read Andy White's thread First Walnut with interest.  I had also been following his construction activities involved with building a Kiln.

My thoughts were "that guy needs a Walnut tree" and I thought about a leaner that I have pictured here.

This is an 18" tree that is shown here before it started slipping into the creek due to erosion.  This picture was taken Jan, 2012.

This is as it looks today with the butt about two feet below the top of the creek bank.

Anyway, I sent Andy a PM back on Feb 16th which got the wheels rolling.  Of course he wanted a Walnut tree!!  I really needed to finish my Outrigger Log Arch project because that old creek bottom is wet and I wanted to avoid muddying the logs up. 

Marty will go with us to the Cabin Sunday afternoon and we will make the first move toward winching the tree to the bank.  Hopefully the stump will give way and we can salvage it attached to the butt log.  If not, then we will cable it to an Elm tree and buck it off.  Andy and Nancy are planning to arrive at the Cabin about 4:00.

We are looking forward to hosting Andy & Nancy and he and Marty will have a chance to visit.  They worked so well together during the Goodwill Sawing trip in December.

So this will be a Fun, Friends, & Walnut couple of days.  Did someone mention Food??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Coon

Look forward to seeing the pics of the adventure as always. Hope you have a nice BBQ planned and ready.   ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Andy White

Lynn,
Just got on and seen this thread. You and Marty don't get overloaded before we get there. That tree looks like it's leaning pretty far over the creek. Should I bring my "wetsuit"? Have the equipment loaded, truck fueled up, Nancy packed and ready to leave early. Looking forward to the visit. The rain will be over tonite around midnight, so I'll be bringing clear weather with me, I hope! I have already made plans for a project, but I can't tell you about it yet. If you can think of anything else, call me or post here. BTW, that is a nice looking first Walnut for sure. The Mill Special will come in handy on that one. Thanks for the thought and offer.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

If that Walnut tree proves to be too much for us, then we will just move over and get one that is not leaning.  Defeat is not an option.   ;D

Pat has been busy checking recipes today.  We will not be hungry for sure.   food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

DanG, Lynn, I would have thought that walnut tree would have floated off down the creek by now.  ;D Good thing you ignored my suggestion to set up camp downstream and wait for a good rain.....Do I see a new FF activity in addition to sycamore projects ?  Difficult retrieval of highly valuable logs  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

One never knows. 

I also have this one in mind.  This picture was taken Jan, 2012.

And now a recent picture.  Notice that the entire tree and root system has caved off of the bank and is now in the creek bottom.  We just might go for it first.   If that tree on the bank is strong enough we can triple block it.  I'm also sure that we will get that smaller fallen Walnut tree in the background.   ;D

WDH

Old Sayin'  -  He who gives away walnut logs sleeps good at night.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

The water must come high on the bank at times. Is that just a spring thing?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

During/after a heavy rain that field in the background sometimes gets 2 feet under water.  There is  huge water shead that feeds my creek.  Debris and watermarks are left on the trees, etc. but I have never seen it because my access is also cut off with high water.

The creek banks are 100% dirt.  No rocks or gravel which is why the trees give way and fall into the creek.

Quote from: WDH on March 15, 2014, 09:56:16 PM
Old Sayin'  -  He who gives away walnut logs sleeps good at night
Yes, happiness comes in many forms.  I am content and sleep very well at night.   :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'll call you about 3 am and check on your contentness.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

morgoon

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 15, 2014, 10:28:37 PM
I'll call you about 3 am and check on your contentness.  :)

Ha ha ... that right there is a good one :)
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Magicman

Yeah, and I'm gonna call that Veterinarian.  I'll bet he makes house calls in SC.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on March 15, 2014, 10:44:21 PM
Yeah, and I'm gonna call that Veterinarian.  I'll bet he makes house calls in SC.  ;D

running-doggy
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ocklawahaboy

Once again, I am jealous of those of you who have walnut growing in their region, much less, on their property. 

Bill Gaiche

Bill Gaiche

Hope this project doesn't have all the drama as Ax Man does. Profanity, fighting, equipment failure, wait, these are civilized people on a mission, so every thing will be just fine. Good luck and hope to see what Andy has in mind with the walnut. bg

Sixacresand

MM,  Are these some the same trees you showed us on the Chicken Crispin Tour of your place?
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Bill Gaiche

Sixacresand, yes, I believe it is. bg

Magicman

Yes, the one you pictured is my first priority.   Andy, Marty and I will miss seeing you guys.   8)

mesquite buckeye

When I get those they turn into lumber. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

dablack

I'm looking for an update?  How did it go?  Pictures or it didn't happen!
Building my own house in East TX

Bill Gaiche

Quote from: dablack on March 18, 2014, 07:58:26 AM
I'm looking for an update?  How did it go?  Pictures or it didn't happen!

Yup. Photos required. bg

Andy White

OK Here is the story ,
Had a good trip Sunday morning, saw beautiful scenery, and lots of rain. We arrived at the vineyard gate at 2.00PM and Marty arrived shortly  after. Had a good time and got to meet his children. Lynn showed up, and it was ON! Prepped the equipment, and hit the trail.As we winded down thru the woods, I saw several good looking signs that some would never notice.

Lynn needs to get more ammo if he wants to keep his White Oaks from deer demise.
Once we made the plan of attack, Marty started sawing. In a short time, we were ready to haul. It was late after noon, and time for a coffee break. As the day ended, I'm thinking "how are we going to get these logs on the trailer?" Lynn had a vision that nite, and it was a great one. We loaded those logs like we had been doing it forever. It took longer to drive to and from the logs than it took to load them! This is so much fun!!!

It helps to have the proper tools for the job. The log arch worked much better than expected! All those holes on top made it so easy to balance the load, it didn't matter how odd shaped, or length, it took just a second to get them ready to travel!

The last load is leg, bowl and turning stock. Don't leave much when we loaded out.

All that's left is the stump in the creek. Got everything loaded on the trailer, and strapped down for the trip home.

And last, a farewell to our most gracious hosts. This was a really great visit, and Nancy has found two true friends with Lynn and Pat. This parting didn't have the same tone as the one we all had at Austins, but all the feelings were the same. 

After we got on the pavement, I had to increase the brake controller two more notches, those logs are really heavy! We made the 328 miles home, and didn't loose even a piece of bark! About 10 miles from home, Nancy took a sunset shot of a Perfect end to a perfect visit.

Thank you Lynn and Pat for a great visit.    Andy and Nancy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

dablack

What a great trip!  I bet that moss will make it easier to cut.....Right?

I'm surprised Nancy didn't want to take the camaro!  Does she have a hitch on it? 

I know where Andy and I are going hunting this year!  I've got an old WWII mauser that can fix those trees from getting rubbed.  White Oak is my favorite and I don't want them harmed!

I love the trailer in a ditch trick.  Fifty percent of the time, it works everytime. 

Austin
Building my own house in East TX

Thank You Sponsors!