iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable Mills

Started by DDobbs, March 14, 2014, 05:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDobbs

Do you guys have tags/plates on your portable mills?

Thanks
Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Joe Hillmann

Each state has it's own regulations when it comes to tags.  Some states(like IL) require tags on any trailer used on the roads, some states only require tags once the trailer gets to a certain weight or for commercial use.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

board

just answard a ? I was going to ask ,I am from il. thanks.
paul

Chuck White

The states vary from one to another, New York for example does not require plates!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

Massachusetts requires plates on everything. That way they know if they've squeezed you for everything you've got without having to distract the nice police officer from pursuing other possible offenders. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GDinMaine

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 14, 2014, 08:13:26 PM
Massachusetts requires plates on everything. That way they know if they've squeezed you for everything you've got without having to distract the nice police officer from pursuing other possible offenders. ;D

:D :D :D They do the same in Maine. I can only register the mill (Equipment plate) or camper for one year at the time.  Utility trailers can be registered two years out.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

drobertson

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 14, 2014, 06:04:25 PM
Not required in S.C.
this one has killed me till this day here in Mo.  tags required here, never made sense, all states are different.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: drobertson on March 14, 2014, 08:51:51 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 14, 2014, 06:04:25 PM
Not required in S.C.
this one has killed me till this day here in Mo.  tags required here, never made sense, all states are different.

$$$$$$$.......now does it make sense? :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Also, in some states it is equipment rather then a trailer.

Now if you load a log up on it and travel, then it becomes a trailer because you are hauling.  I strapped this Cypress log on the sawmill and hauled it from the customer's home to the sawing location.

There are many situations that may be left up to the discretion of the law officer.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JohnM

Need a plate here...........on my truck! ;) ;D

Quote from: GDinMaine on March 14, 2014, 08:18:12 PM
Utility trailers can be registered two years out.
GD, check with the town office but to the best of my knowledge you can get a 5yr plate.  Little more paperwork of course.

Edit:  PS I am sooooo looking forward those green trees again!!
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Red Good

If it's mine personally no plates needed in Ok as long as it is towed by my truck , but if it belongs to the shop it needs plates . Or so I have been told . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

DDobbs

I am getting a new EZ Boardwalk next week Monday

I think I am just going to haul it on my trailer.

And not get it's trailer kit.

Filing for a title can be a pain in IL.

Thanks

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Alcranb

Dave, don't forget once you register it you may see a yearly bill for excise tax or personal property tax. Somebody has to pay for the gas to keep 'em warm/cool on those third party details  ::)
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

DDobbs

Our problem is we that live in IL. Have the 2 ex Governors that spend their day making
License plates. :D

Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: DDobbs on March 16, 2014, 08:09:11 PM
Our problem is we that live in IL. Have the 2 ex Governors that spend their day making
License plates. :D

Dave

And we have some that should be.

dboyt

I've never had a plate on my mill, and been passed by highway patrol, local police, and county sheriffs.  So far, no one has paid any attention.  Maybe i don't look prosperous enough to squeeze.  I believe it is as MM described-- farm equipment, as long as you're not hauling anything on it (in Missouri).  You do need to make sure lights, safety chain, etc. are all OK.  I have heard of mills parting ways with the tow vehicle at highway speeds, and never want that to happen.

As far as I'm concerned towing the mill is THE single most hazardous part of portable sawmilling.  When you're running the mill, you can keep people back, but when towing, you pass within a couple of feet of every idiot out there, with a closing speed of over 100 mph.

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

goose63

Here in North Dakota no plates until 15,000 lbs
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

LittleJohn

I want to say in Minnesota, its the whole trailer vs implement arguement!

As long as you do not put a log on the mill, its an implement and plate is not required.  However if you do license as a trailer, its a once in a life time plate (I THINK).

Johnny Law, has not stopped me yet; so i either look innocent or I am legal  8) 8)

Bandmill Bandit

Farm/ Forestry equipment is supposed to be exempt in Alberta. I have a call in to Alberta transportation to check for sure. Will post what I find out here.

As long as you are not hauling any thing on the mill that is not mill related components, no plate or tags required. Any thing over 2000lbs  brakes required.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

rimshot

as long as the mill is permanantly attached or built in as  sawmill it is conidered special Mobile equipment and registration/ licensing is not required in Michigan. 
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

SawyerBrown

When I went in to get the tags for mine, the lady behind the counter kept asking me, "A what?"  Portable sawmill.  "A what?"  Finally had to show her a picture ...

But, yes, we decided it is required in IL, based on weight (so a "B" classification).

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

shelbycharger400

MN,   under 3000 lb. $40 lifetime sticker.  Over needs plate and yearly sticker. ,  lic same as reg trailer.   

Nomad

In Florida if it has wheels it needs a tag.  A few years ago I registered a Norwood LM2000.  No VIN number.  It took 5 people, half a dozen calls to the state capital, and an hour and a half to get it done.  One girl kept asking me "Is it a stump grinder?  Are you SURE it isn't a stump grinder?" ::)  When it was finally done, the guy in charge asked me to PLEASE never come in there again without a VIN. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!