iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spark plug poll

Started by brettl, March 14, 2014, 03:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brettl

I know, trivial, not rocket science. I'm curious though as to whether one brand will emerge a clear favorite over the others since I'm going to stock up on plugs. Champion, NGK, and Bosch are the three I see the most. Please mention any others that you've had better luck with than the rest.

ladylake

I'd vote for NGK but very seldom have to replace a plug.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

H 2 H

Just bought a box of Bosch
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

petefrom bearswamp

Have used all 3 brands in the past and all worked just fine.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Fatcougar

I will never ever put a single Bosch plug in anything I ever own again....... had the complete center electrode and ceramic break off one of thier plugs and fall on top of the piston on my Explorer.... made a real nice tapping noise. Ended up having to pull the cylinder head to get the peices out of the top of the piston. I have never heard of that ever happening to anyone I know in my life. That was a lot of work for one lousy spark plug.....  >:(
    I run NGK in everything I own now.
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

H 2 H

Quote from: Fatcougar on March 14, 2014, 06:22:02 PM
I will never ever put a single Bosch plug in anything I ever own again....... had the complete center electrode and ceramic break off one of thier plugs and fall on top of the piston on my Explorer.... made a real nice tapping noise. Ended up having to pull the cylinder head to get the peices out of the top of the piston. I have never heard of that ever happening to anyone I know in my life. That was a lot of work for one lousy spark plug.....  >:(

I've heard that happening a few times with three other brands

Last time I heard that about a plug it was called E - 3 spark plug - last summer
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

Fatcougar

Quote from: H 2 H on March 14, 2014, 06:44:53 PM
Quote from: Fatcougar on March 14, 2014, 06:22:02 PM

I've heard that happening a few times with three other brands

Last time I heard that about a plug it was called E - 3 spark plug - last summer

Wow, what do ya know. I had never heard of that happening before... makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one somehow. Lol.
Fatcougar
Stihl 461-R
Stihl 026
New Holland TC30
Rankin 3 point Splitter

Bilge Rat

Ford has had issues with spark plugs in their trucks.
It is not the plug actually, it is the cylinder heads. The plugs strip the head on removal or the plug blows out the head.  Very thin area with only a few threads to engage the plug.

A tool has been made for this issue.  Mechanics will tell you if you have the plugs changed the going rate plus 75.oo for each plug that strips,breaks etc.

Do not blame the plug, blame Ford.

Bosch or NGK for small motors.

Red Good

Google counterfeit ngk plugs . Apparently fake ones made in China are starting to cause problems or so I have been told . Not sure if there is a way to tell a real one from a fake .

Have used NGK almost exclusively in 2 strokers for 25 years and all my Japanese 4 stokes . Bosch for all my Hd four stroke stuff . Used to order them by the cases . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

HolmenTree

My experience is the German made Boschs are the best reliable saw plug.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

NCFarmboy

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 14, 2014, 11:54:47 PM
My experience is the German made Boschs are the best reliable saw plug.
+1  on Bosch.  My prder of preference is Bosch, NGK, Champion.  Worst IMB is Denso.  Tried 10 had 5 out of 10 fail in 1 hr. or less or bad out of the box.  Was always a big fan of Autolite plugs back in the day.  Would use em now but too hard to find for 2 stroke.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

bandmiller2

NGK, are my preferred 2 cyl. plug Champion the least. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sawguy21

I prefer NGK or Bosch. I had problems with Champion in the past and have not trusted them since.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Cut4fun

Bosch here.

I pull NGK's and toss them now, wont put in mine or others saws. Had troubles with new ones a couple of years ago.

giant splinter

Autolite here for many years // no problems
roll with it

roadiestar

For me Bosch , Denso or NGK , Autolite  Then anything other then ac delco

Thank You Sponsors!