iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to be a fun day

Started by jwilly3879, March 14, 2014, 08:53:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

Our trucker's rig broke down in the middle of our truck road with 7 cord of firewood on it and 1/2 a mile from the paved road. Just won't run so today we are going with a generator and air compressor to see if we can get the brakes released and drag the truck out of the way. If we can get it moved enough we can bring the loader down and unload him and then he can get it towed to the shop. -6 and 14" of snow should make for a fun day.

mad murdock

I feel your pain JW3879, but you know the saying "if it was easy everyone would be doing it".  That is what puts the spice in life, eh?  Hope it goes well for you today!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Woodboogah

Good luck with that.  Just think it could be worse.  Like mentioned above everyone would do it if it were easy.  Keeps it interesting and makes for a good story down the road.
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

jwilly3879

Got the truck moved and after wiggling a bunch of wires got it to start but he doesn't trust it to go down the road. Tomorrow we will off load into his tandem dump and then get it out to the road where it can be towed to the shop. At least the wood will be moving.

timberlinetree

Gotta love it, those one wire shuts down everything days. Hope the truck gets up and running soon.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

jwilly3879

With the truck out of the way we were able to finish plowing the rest of the way to the upper header and cut some pine. Here's a few photos of the pile as of 4:00pm.

My son ran the loader for a while today, it was amusing watching him do it with a cast on his left arm on the old 4 lever machine. He is getting bored during his recovery. He also did a lot of walking around and running for coffee today.

The log pile is over 10' high, probably 8-9k feet there.

luvmexfood

Quote from: jwilly3879 on March 14, 2014, 02:27:43 PM
Got the truck moved and after wiggling a bunch of wires got it to start but he doesn't trust it to go down the road. Tomorrow we will off load into his tandem dump and then get it out to the road where it can be towed to the shop. At least the wood will be moving.

If it's off loaded and running why not try and drive it  to the shop then if it breaks down get it towed?
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

jwilly3879

There are some big hills to go down and the roads are narrow so he doesn't want to take a chance on a breakdown along the way and there is no cell service. It's a 1997 Western Star with a cat 3406e and everything is electronic and hard to diagnose but we think it may be the throttle pedal wires are shorting out. We will pull the pedal and check the wires when it warms up a little. -11 here this morning.

nedly05

I was noticing your truckers name in your pics, he  was good friends with my great uncle who lived in Pottersville. He used to come up to camp quite a bit. What does he have for a dump truck?

jwilly3879

Fred just picked up a new used one this summer but I haven't seen it up close but it is a tandem with a 14' box on it. He should be able to haul about 2500bf with the tailgate down. Won't be able to double 12's like on the triaxle so no 4000bf loads but the wood will move. Right now he has a load of stumps frozen in it.

Fred got into excavating about 10 years ago and just hauls part time now.

My son and I live in Olmstedville.

Who was your great uncle, I might know him, Fred and I are the same age and our fathers were best friends.

luvmexfood

I see now. Understand the spottie cellphone service. My home phone tore up and I got a ladder and went on the roof to try and get a cellphone signal but it was iffy. If I have to use the cell I have to drive about a 1/4 mile up the road.

Our cold has mostly broke here except it was 70 one day last week then 17 two mornings later. Don't know which is worse the constant cold or the temp swings. Sort of like mood swings in a woman. LOL
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

jwilly3879

Here's some fotos my son took while wandering around this weekend on the job.

The big orange wedge-

The old and the young-

Watching it fall-

Hooked up-

nedly05

Great pics! Love the action shots in the woods, just something about an old line skidder and hand falling that I like to see. Stinks to hear he has a load of stumps frozen in, that might be a pain! My uncle was Joe Whitney. He worked construction, most recently at Callanan Industries as a loader man. He was there until he retired, then he did a few little projects for us until he passed a few years ago.

jwilly3879

I had a good friend, Ken Secor who worked at Callahan for many years as a mechanic, he passed away 2 years ago.

The faller and skidder op in the pictures is my grandson who just turned 19. He does an awesome job.

Thank You Sponsors!