iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ontario barn conversion

Started by peter2277, March 14, 2014, 04:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter2277

Reading a lot of stuff in here over the years in the build up to my build...

Renovating a 1850's banked barn into a house, quite a big house (5 bents) open plan ground floor with two wings that are 3 floors high. We plan to run a B & B here some time down the road.

Construction is original frame wrapped in SIPs panels R 50 roof and R 38 walls, insulated basement walls R 20 and R 10 under the pad.

Top floors being open lofts to below.
Due to the size, height and construction of this building, for heating I was planning on hydronic heat in concrete floor ground level and basement. My wife wants to have the concrete polished and left exposed.

The last mention in here of suspended slab was by Alexis back in 2008 and his last post was 2009...

Ive got engineering approval for steel pan on boards laid over my original sleepers 8x8 and beams 10x10 only extra work required was new footings and doubling up supports 8x8 under point loads.

Has any one done this in here or seen it done, how did it go?

And secondly how do you log cabin guys hide the wiring between floors? In my basement I'm keeping all the wood exposed with a deck flat to the top of beams and sleepers.
My thoughts are to create a space using 2x4 side on between ceiling and steel pan and run electrical EMT pipe terminating in octagon box's for lighting. ( I'm an electrician by trade) plausible?

Peter

Jim_Rogers

You asked: "And secondly how do you log cabin guys hide the wiring between floors?"
and: I'm not sure how log cabin guys to it but you need to plan your layouts very carefully and use several different methods to hide wiring.

Here are some:

You'll need to discuss this with your electrical contractor, unless you're doing it all yourself.

And welcome to the forum.

Keep asking questions.

And good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

peter2277

Thank you Jim, I was thinking of doing that first picture and now I've got a visual... Great stuff, cheers.

Just for information I've been told a great way of running wire vertically in SIPs or foam is to drop a heated ball bearing to create a chase, not tried it but it sounds plausible to me...

Glenn

peter - where in ontario are you located ?

shinnlinger

Hello,

here is what I did...

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=2364&pid=96976#top_display_media

I ripped 2x and put a strip on top of my 4x8 floor joists.  This allowed for me to set preprinted drywall over each bay below with no need to paint between the joists from the first floor.   I was very pleased with this as the painted drywall lightens up the dark frame and it it much cheaper than car decking.  This approach also allowed the 2nd floor sub floor to rest 3/4 above the drywall and allowed room for wiring and pex tubing for heat.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Brian_Weekley

Dave,

Nice.  Did you loop Pex between the drywall and flooring for radiant floor heat?

Thanks, Brian
e aho laula

shinnlinger

Yes, 

I had a bunch of used foil face insulation I put under the pex to reflect the heat up and set it right in.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

peter2277

Hi Glen, we're building in Prince Edward County. Just up from Wellington.

Dave, that's a gorgeous floor you have there.  Hope my old barn boards will turn up half as nice.. We wanted to do the dry wall trick as well but we're still some what open to the elements, soggy dry wall doesn't do it so we went OSB and hope to finish it with a hand troweled plaster look between the sleepers.

Peter

Glenn

Peter

I'm in Renfrew County and there are many beautiful barn converions here.

peter2277

Seems to be a lot of nice barn conversions popping up..
There's a few here in the county too, at least a few of these buildings will survive the bulldozer or neglect.

peter2277

Just figured out how to post a picture, this here is our barn.
As it was late last year, it's been a long winter up here but lots of work has happened inside.

peter2277

A few more pictures, first is how we hope it turns out...

This is our first floor/ceiling osb we plan to stucco or plaster the underside over time between the beams. And thanks to Jim I'll be running conduit between floor layers.

Last but not least, we found the plinth idea in a barn book, these extend the length of our support beams by 10". We plan to polish the concrete smooth..  The stone in the back ground has been reprinted the full length of the barn.

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for posting that and your comments.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

peter2277

Long over due for an update in here,
The exterior other than rear deck has been completed, yellow stained rough cut pine siding. Fiberglas windows and doors from inline windows Toronto, a great price.
Roughing out the electrical now for the stud walls in the barn, have a legal finished granny suite already in use (no more trailer in the winter).

Front of the barn, we kept the openings in the same location as it was originally

Rear is missing the deck, hope to have that in once snow has cleared.

These pictures are out of shape but show the finished look including upper balcony's

peter2277

View from the granny suite, looking into main area of the barn

Steel railings and spiral to loft

Main stairs looks busy in photo, buts is awesome in person (photo is compressed)

Top of the stairs looking west towards master suite

View from the master as dry walls going up, framing the original beams and posts.

jwade

wow absolutely beautiful. did you do the iron worg on the stepes

peter2277

Thank you,
Alas no we know what we wanted and how it'll look but way beyond my skill set.

We used some guys from Pontypool Allfab, they usually do commercial stuff look up their Facebook page.

thechknhwk

Knocker of rocks

Wow, wish there were even more photos!!!

fishfighter

Very impressive. Sweet of a job.

peter2277

Couple more photos, first one is the granny suite washroom.

Pantry which is doubling as temporary inlaw suite kitchen. Until we have a full kitchen built.

Loft looking east

We have a seasonal pond to the south, we hope to line it one day.

rasman57

You have done a LOT of nice work.  Very impressive vision you had with that majestic old bank barn.  Beautiful!

Knocker of rocks

What is the finished floor on the main floor and loft levels?  How did you get shear values on the old structure?  Slip SIPs in?  Look like a great project, you couldn't post to many photos in my opinion.

peter2277

Thank you for the great comments we're having fun doing this.

Here's some inprocess and finished floor pictures

The first one is the basement floor, the stone wall is what sold us the barn straight as a die and 80 ft long.

polished finished concrete basement floor looking east under the stairs.

This picture is looking west showing the deferent layers that went in under the ground floor concrete pad. You can also see the conduit I used for electrical runs. The pan was welded and bolted in place.

Love this picture this is what it looks like when you pour concrete on a cold night...spooky

These are all from early 2015, just a bit more detail in what went into the floors.

peter2277

I know picture heavy but these are this week..
We have rough cut swamp maple planks 18"by2" in to stairs for the spiral staircases, the plan is to finish and treat them once full construction is completed.

Main spiral ground floor though master bedroom to loft, steel collar added to slip dry wall in under saves trimming

This spiral to the east loft, is suspended of the bridge. Love the strips in this wood. The short bridges under side is the original barn siding reused.

This is how we are finishing the ceiling of in the basement, plastering directly to the OSB between the sleepers.

Top tip don't use the red tape on finished concrete.....

Thank You Sponsors!