iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dolmar

Started by peterjd89, March 13, 2014, 09:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterjd89

Dolmar RVs huskys and sthils 

Oscar 330/dolmar 6400/landini 8865/homemade wood splitter/ten foot dump trailer/homemade winch and log trailer

sawguy21

??? What was the question?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Information collector.

ladylake

Maybe mean Dolmar vs Husky and Stihl,  all good pro saws.  I don't think make near as many cheapo models as Husky and Stihl.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on March 14, 2014, 04:38:54 PM

Maybe mean Dolmar vs Husky and Stihl,  all good pro saws.  I don't think make near as many cheapo models as Husky and Stihl.  Steve

They also make much fewer other models - they just are a much smaller brand.
Information collector.

ladylake

I'd rather have fewer models that are all well made than a lot of models trying too fool Joe home owner into thinking it's a good saw cuz it's a Stihl or Husky.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

7sleeper

Quote from: SawTroll on March 14, 2014, 04:43:50 PM

They also make much fewer other models - they just are a much smaller brand.

Well if we look at the current line and the build quality. Only the smallest models PS32 & 35 are clam shell design. All others are "pro" design with case halves. What does that tell us?

Quote from: ladylake on March 14, 2014, 05:24:40 PM

I'd rather have fewer models that are all well made than a lot of models trying too fool Joe home owner into thinking it's a good saw cuz it's a Stihl or Husky.  Steve

Excellent statement!!!

SawTroll

Quote from: 7sleeper link=topic=73643.msg1115457#msg1115457Well if we look at the current line and the build quality. Only the smallest models PS32 & 35 are clam shell design. All others are "pro" design with case halves. What does that tell us?

Only that they cover a smaller part of the market, and earn less money.

The brands most significant issues are the lack of proper dealer networks though, and lack of resourses for development etc.
Information collector.

JT78

I love dolmar saws have been very happy and impressed with them but as above mentioned their dealer network is not so good. There are a lot of good online parts resources.

7sleeper

Quote from: SawTroll on March 15, 2014, 03:27:42 PM
Quote from: 7sleeper link=topic=73643.msg1115457#msg1115457Well if we look at the current line and the build quality. Only the smallest models PS32 & 35 are clam shell design. All others are "pro" design with case halves. What does that tell us?

Only that they cover a smaller part of the market, and earn less money.

The brands most significant issues are the lack of proper dealer networks though, and lack of resourses for development etc.

Well let's have a look at the recent developments from Husqvarna.

Air injection : invented by Poulan(small US chainsaw brand, which was bought up by Husqvarna/E-Lux) and simply adapted to the saw line up.

Strato technology : "invented" for 2 strokes by Zenoah(small japanese chainsaw brand, which was bought up by Husqvarna/E-Lux) and simply adapted to the saw line up.

Those have been the hall marks of Husqvarna advertisements up to the Autotune introduction. How has it been with the Autotune? We have no idea, but I seriously doubt that Husqvarna was a major contributor to this development. Surely a mutual interest with a carb company but only in the role of a customer. They donot!!! produce the carburators! They only buy the finished product and implement it. So what do we learn. A gigantic corporation sure has done hardly any innovation development.

And as usual we see the small brands being innovativ in the developement department. But sometimes we just don't want to recognize the obvious.

chain

At the end of the day, or week, or year there will be only one chainsaw ready for work...Dolmar.

I use to mistreat my old Dolmar, throwing it in the back of my p/u and forgetting until I may need, but she always answers the call. I call the old saw 'Dolly' now and always clean 'er up with a nice soft cloth and tuck away safely.

NCFarmboy

I'm down to 9 Dolmars 3-7900, 4-5100S, 1-510,1-421 +1-Solo 681 (it's really a Dolmar w/stroked crank).  Very good customer pried a WPorted 5100S out of my hands. Nuf said! ;D
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

SawTroll

Quote from: 7sleeper on March 16, 2014, 04:20:25 AM

Air injection : invented by Poulan(small US chainsaw brand, which was bought up by Husqvarna/E-Lux) and simply adapted to the saw line up.

There are different candidates for that honor, depending on what development stage are discussed - but Poulan isn't one of them.

As far as has been proven so far, the 262xp was the first chainsaw that had the fully developed version, and not just "induction trough the fan". The only other candidate is the Jonsered 2051, but that hasn't been proven, and they were also made by Husky, at the Husky factory.

Regarding "strato", I don't believe that anyone has claimed that Husky invented that.

Information collector.

H 2 H

8)

Boy things have changed  :P
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

motard

Quote from: SawTroll on March 18, 2014, 08:57:33 AM

There are different candidates for that honor, depending on what development stage are discussed - but Poulan isn't one of them.

As far as has been proven so far, the 262xp was the first chainsaw that had the fully developed version, and not just "induction trough the fan". The only other candidate is the Jonsered 2051, but that hasn't been proven, and they were also made by Husky, at the Husky factory.

Regarding "strato", I don't believe that anyone has claimed that Husky invented that.

Hi Niko!

I see you are still up to your old tricks eh?

Seems you go from site to site bashing Dolmars. You musta got beat really badly by one, or two,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

motard

YUP just like Chevrolet and Ford.

They are big, but also made some of the true pieces of junk!

Large does NOT mean better products eh?

Over all Dolmar has made a lot better saw through the years, as Steve pointed out percentage of good saws to bad, Dolmar trumps the big two.

cutter88

tried a Dolmar yesterday for the first time it was a 6400 series seemed to be a very peppy saw but ill stick to my jonsered
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

H 2 H

Quote from: motard on March 30, 2014, 04:00:21 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on March 18, 2014, 08:57:33 AM

Hi Niko!

I see you are still up to your old tricks eh?

Seems you go from site to site bashing Dolmars. You musta got beat really badly by one, or two,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

He wouldn't bash a brand of chain saw would he :)
Brian

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

Ianab

Quote from: cutter88 on March 30, 2014, 09:36:21 AM
tried a Dolmar yesterday for the first time it was a 6400 series seemed to be a very peppy saw but ill stick to my jonsered

The 6400 is a perfectly good saw, runs about like you would expect a decent ~64cc saw to. But nothing special.   Now the 7900 series is the one to try. Same weight as the 6400, but 79cc.  8)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WriteNoob

Brand new, here. For what it's worth, I'm very happy with my Dolmar PS-6100, although I've admittedly only used it a few times since December, when I bought it. Bought it at the dealers recommendation. Little old country shop, deals Stihl and Dolmar. Apparently, Stihl's been giving him trouble, since his 3 car garage, 1940's looking shop doesn't fit the image they want to project, these days. Says the only reason he's been able to keep them from pulling his dealership is that he's grandfathered in, somehow. Guy looks to be in his seventies and runs a pro shop about 20 yards from his house. The local pros I've met seem to love this shop. Took me back to watch him set up and tune the saw, let me run it, asked me how I felt about it, and gave me a free pro chain, to replace whatever is on the thing from the factory. He claimed it was junk. Bought 3 more semi chisel chains, some oil, a file and guide, and walked out with a bit of change from six one hundred dollar bills.

As for why the Dolmar, it just felt the best, to me. A friend has dealt with this guy for years, keeping his 70's Mac in good order, so if he says it's a good saw, I believe him. I've used Stihl's, Huskies, and others over the years.  Personal firewood and some felling/clearing when needed or asked by others is the work it'll be doing. Any decent brand would do, for my purposes. Just liked the way the Dolmar fit me. Used to work on farms, and used their saws. This'll be the first pro saw I've ever owned. Whole different animal from the little Crafty/Poulans I've had as personal saws, before.

David-L

For a couple hundred bucks you can make the 6400 a 80cc saw. Run it till its weak and change up. my 6400 with the 18" bar boogies right along well and going to get the OEM jug and piston, etc now and have it as I cannot see things getting cheaper. It is also a good saw just the way it is, run a 16" on it and its pretty darn quick.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

motard

As a proud owner of many a Dolmar saws it is quite dis-heartening to hear the constant rants against them.

That said, there may be better and no doubt worse saws out there, but Dolmars' Engineering is solid.

Of the several dozen in my stable, I have yet to have a lower bearing nor seal failure. (and some of these are pushing 40 years old!)

And talk about an easy saw to work on, me thinks the dealers/repair shops owe a great big THANK YOU to the guys who dreamed these things up?

ladylake

Stihl or Husky still don't have saw to compare to the 7900 Dolmar, cuts like a 85cc saw weight is like a 70cc saw.  Steve

SawTroll

I actually am on many different sites for reasons far from what you suggest, but I always react negatively when people try to "talk up" saws that don't deserve it - regardless of the brand.    ;)
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on March 31, 2014, 08:52:59 AM

Stihl or Husky still don't have saw to compare to the 7900 Dolmar, cuts like a 85cc saw weight is like a 70cc saw.  Steve

The 7900 is the only interesting Dolmar, and it is interesting for good reasons - but the pro users still doesn't want it. Try to guess why - it is easy enough for me...... ;D
Information collector.

ladylake

Why keep us guessing, tell us.    Steve

7sleeper

Quote from: ladylake on April 01, 2014, 05:29:04 AM

Why keep us guessing, tell us.    Steve
:D

That was excellent!

ladylake

Quote from: SawTroll on April 01, 2014, 04:06:38 AM

I actually am on many different sites for reasons far from what you suggest, but I always react negatively when people try to "talk up" saws that don't deserve it - regardless of the brand.    ;)

If Husky had the exact same saw you'd be talking it up.  I actually own a 385xp Husky and Dolmar 7900, same cutting speed but the Dolmar is over 2# lighter.  steve

H 2 H

Quote from: ladylake on April 01, 2014, 07:56:30 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on April 01, 2014, 04:06:38 AM

If Husky had the exact same saw you'd be talking it up.  I actually own a 385xp Husky and Dolmar 7900, same cutting speed but the Dolmar is over 2# lighter.  steve

You have to remember were he learns stuff

"I just read on another forum ... (not really a surprise)"

Off the internet
Brian

David-L

I am a professional logger in the fall and winter months. I am a professional because I have stayed safe and treat the woods with care. I also try to promote good silvaculture practices to landowners while working in this profession. I have owned many Dolmar saws and would say they are a very good saw. I had a large oak job one winter and bought a orange top 7900 years ago and the saw performed amazing in big hardwood and was not stoppable. I have owned all the major brand saws and used them and would run a Dolmar along with any other. today I run red saws, and orange/black saws. The last husky I owned was a 262, so there you have it. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. or in this case the holder.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Thank You Sponsors!