iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Memories

Started by jargo432, March 13, 2014, 09:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

Is there any thing better than the smell of split oak?  Makes me go back in time when my dad an I cut and split wood. 
Jack of all trades.

r.man

I am always surprised when people talk about oak firewood. In my area oak is fairly rare, one of the more valuable trees and not often used as firewood. When I was 20 I was horrified when a co-worker said he preferred to burn oak because an oak tree was considered an asset for its eventual value and the acorns it produced for the animals. For these reasons I have no idea what you are talking about.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

LeeB

r.man, I'm sure you have a sent oriented memory trigger. Substitute whatever smell it is that brings back those pleasant memories. Just as an example, when I was a kid I lived in Singapore. Lot's of Chinese people there, so lot's of chinese food. I really like to cook, and really like chinese food. When I first started cooking chinese, I didn't use sesame oil. The first time I did, it was like someone had opened a portal to the past. The smell brought back memories and visons from the past long forgoten.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Stinny

Quote from: LeeB on March 14, 2014, 04:16:51 AM
r.man, I'm sure you have a sent oriented memory trigger. Substitute whatever smell it is that brings back those pleasant memories. Just as an example, when I was a kid I lived in Singapore. Lot's of Chinese people there, so lot's of chinese food. I really like to cook, and really like chinese food. When I first started cooking chinese, I didn't use sesame oil. The first time I did, it was like someone had opened a portal to the past. The smell brought back memories and visons from the past long forgoten.

I've got that scent memory thing for sure.... whenever I smell good food... I remember I was hungry!
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

r.man

Oh I have lots of scent triggered memories, one of the most vivid is a boiling truck battery, just no wood oriented ones that I care to remember. Which wood is it that smells like vomit when cut. I managed to forget that one. Maple syrup boiling, hay in the field, the smell of a hot wood stove all bring back a pleasant feeling but for me firewood was a chore. I envy Jargos oak memory because I still process and handle my own wood each year and a pleasant memory would help.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

bedway

The smell of fresh cut grass in the spring

The smell of your baseball glove when you put it on the first sunny day

Great topic, this list could go on forever. :)

LeeB

r.man, I wasn't going to mention it because it's jargo432's fond memory, but red oak can smell like an upchuck sometimes.  ::)
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

thecfarm

The smell of a field being dried for hay does me in. I still cut wood,so no big deal, But I bet if I was away from wood for 10 years it would be a big deal.
We have ALOT of oak in this area. The family up above me lived on the cousins land. He chased down all the red oak he could on his cousins land and burned it for firewood because he said it splits easy.  ::) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wick

I also enjoy the smell of split oak, and reminds me of my Dad teaching me to swing an axe as a kid.

Oak is plentiful around here, so we use it as firewood as well. The stuff cut for firewood is unwanted, dead, or dying. Some also from land development, like if someone is building a pond, cabin or house. We don't go around just cutting nice old oak trees. It always amazes me how relatively easy it is to find without having to bother my own land. If your willing to work it up and haul it, it can normally be found.
My buddy had a bunch of blow downs on his hunting property that I could clean up. But haven't had the time to get up there.   >:(  Some of them 3' and 4' DBH.

Timber Harvester 30HT25

Al_Smith

Wet oak sawdust smells about like hog manure . Male mulberry saw dust smells like vomit .

The two most pleasant when they burn has to be black cherry and shagbark hickory although the differ greatly in BTU output per volume.Cedar is pleasant also but it puts on quite a fireworks display and has low btu output .

BradMarks

Got me to thinking.  A smell not likely to be repeated these days, and boy did it smell good, was the red slash of an old growth Douglas Fir clearcut. 8) The smell I didn't like was the sickly sweet smell of ceanothus (deerbrush).

Glenn

r.man

I don't live far from you and there is lots of oak being used for firewood here.  I personally have at least 4 tandem loads of oak logs in my yard right now.  Lots of old timers around here don't like burning oak becasue the think it will burn out their stoves. 

timberlinetree

It's black birch for me smells like spearmint. I can bring the smell of pine home from working in it all day and spread it through the house acorting to Marcia :D. Deisel,gear oil and burnt wires smell, those bring back bad memories.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Roger2561

I don't have a specific species of wood that brings back the memories but with the high price of home heating fuel most of my neighbors are now burning wood.  When I go outside at 5:00am to stoke the OWB for the day there is always a whiff of smoke in the air and it smells so good in the crisp morning air.  That smell brings me back to the '70's when the home heating fuel went through the roof.  Everyone burned wood to stay warm.  Foods do the same.  Growing up money was always tight.  Dad was the sole money maker and with 8 siblings you can imagine how tight money was.  One of favorite memories (there were many) was when us kids would get off the school bus, immediately you could smell the fresh bread mom had baked.  Everything was made from scratch.  Mom would cut off a slice of bread about an inch thick and lather it with butter (made our own) while the bread was still hot.  Man, it didn't get any better than that.  Roger   
Roger

Magicman

Oak that stinks usually is sick and that is bacteria that gives of the foul odor.  I absolutely love the smell of split Red Oak. 

I do not remember the last time that I felled a tree for firewood.  Mother nature puts them on the ground, and I buck them up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jargo432

Around here we have a lot of oil well sites. (I work out in the oil fields)  When they build a pad for a well they take a bulldozer and just push the trees in a pile off to the side.  I breaks my heart to see all that wood going to waste.  I've hinted around to a couple of pumpers that I'd like to cut it up for firewood but to date no offers.  (one took my number and said he would ask the ranch forman but I never heard from him)

I also cut up dead trees on my land but it's hard for me to get to them in my pickup.  My land is so thick there's not many places I can get into with my truck.
Jack of all trades.

Paul_H

My dad was a logger and the smell of old grease and oil reminds me of climbing around on warm sunny days on the old yarding donkeys mounted on wooden sleighs down at the shop when I was a small boy.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

petefrom bearswamp

Quite a few dairy farms around here, so there is a fair amount of olfactory memories for me but not very pleasant.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

LittleJohn

Yes several smells take me back, but the two at the top of my list are:

The smell of White Cedar, reminds me of my grandfather and all the cedar swings he used to build - and I did to for a while when I had free time
The smell of pine saw dust, chainsaw oil and a touch of diesel; reminds me of my father and all the good times that we had cutting and felling logs for firewood and for sawing/milling

Stinny

Holiday tobacco smoke from dad's pipe 50 years ago. Every time I smell it, I think of him...
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

Rob5073

I like juniper and pine when split which are more common in the higher elevations of New Mexico.  Mesquite smells good also and there's plenty of that here in Texas.

lynde37avery

fresh cut black birch smell reminds me of my childhood cutting wood with family/friends. the better days.
Detroit WHAT?

Cedar Savage

Diesel smoke on a cold morning, hanging  in the valley.
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Logging logginglogging

Decomposing Leaves and dirt ...like fall cover cent!!!

doctorb

Standing in the barn, just having put away the last hay bales of the spring.  The almost overpowering aroma of the hay coupled with the sound of  rain on the metal roof that started just after the last load of hay entered the barn.  I'm sweaty and tired.  The hay is dry and up and finnished, and I just stand there and take it all in with a deep breath.  A perfect memory for me.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Cedar Savage on March 24, 2014, 11:12:21 PM
Diesel smoke on a cold morning, hanging  in the valley.

cold enough morning all all my POS Diesel does is smokes....

thecfarm

My Christmas stocking pulled out of the cedar chest. I still have the stocking but not the chest.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

enigmaT120

I love the smell of hot metal.  When I was a kid my dad had about a '59 Jeep FC pickup, I don't know if it was 3/4 or 1 ton.  He would take us out to the little old junkyards that were around central Oregon (we lived in Madras at the time) and use his torch to cut up scrap metal which he would haul to Portland to sell.  Gas must have been really cheap then.  But that hot metal smell still takes me back, even if it's just from me grinding something.

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

M_S_S

When I was a kid (many years ago lol) in the Sierras. Loved the smell of a sawmill the smell of the chip burner. Of course that smell is gone because of the government, heck most of the sawmills are gone too.  Most of the mill towns are gone too. But I can still remember that smell coming down a canyon. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

pineywoods

Drove by the old swimmin hole in the creek yesterday. Creek still running, big deep hole still there. No sign left of the dams we used to repair every spring. We collected feed bags all winter to use for sandbags to construct a dam every spring. First day of summer vacation was always a community work day dedicated to daming up the creek. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!