iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rustic log flower beds

Started by justallan1, March 12, 2014, 09:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justallan1

I've been asked to make a couple rustic looking log flower beds and the lady just insists on pine logs and wants to set them on the ground. I've given warnings that they will only last a couple years at most without rotting, but that's what she wants.
On a good note I've finally found something to use the juniper logs that are all pecky in the centers for. ;D
Allan

Jason_AliceMae Farms

That looks like a pretty neat idea, what about some sort of small metal base to get it off the ground just a put to help it last a little longer.

Your helper in the second picture looks to be waiting for either the water trough to be filled or for all the food to be placed on the buffet table  :)
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

justallan1

What I've done before was to cut about 2' pieces and notch them for the log to sit on. That was for a yard fence but same difference.
Buddy (the dog) knows one thing, BALL, that's it! I believe I could lure him off a steak by throwing his ball for him. :D

Busy Beaver Lumber

Nice planters allan. Well done. Perhaps you should make the Mrs. a set out of cedar next go round.

When I saw Buddy, what came to my mind was that he was thinking "Look at the mess Allan has made now. I hope I don't get blamed for it"
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Lud

Nice looking planters!  I wonder if you put a drain hole in them?  Do they take pots or are they planted directly into your cut outs?   

I've had some experience with an Outdoor finish called ONE Time that might be worthwhile as it soaks in well and then you set it out in the sun to cure.  Seems to turn into plastic deep in the cells of the wood.  Does not peel like polys.  Might help them last a bit longer...   8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

WDH

He wants to get in there and have a nap  :D.

Nice job, Allan.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

justallan1

I plan to put a few drain holes in them and am looking at some sealers, plus I believe I'll just make the 2' notched logs for feet for her anyway just to show her. She's planning on just filling them with dirt and planting flowers, but I do want them to last as long as possible for her.
I also have a few juniper logs that are just about junk from the amount of pecky wood in the centers. I'm going to make one out of that and figure a way to seal the ends and try to make it presentable. I'll see what I can come up with.
With calves showing up soon these are the only kind of projects I have time for, a minute here and a minute there.

Allan

giant splinter

Great looking flower beds and HEAVY duty
roll with it

LeeB

You might suggest to her tha she line them with plastic and put a drain spout where the hole are to minimize the soil/moisture contact with the wood.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

Nice log planter job.  Buddy looks cold.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Phorester

If you/she could get a sheet metal trough made to fit inside it, and keep it up off the ground, it would last quite a while.

21incher

Great looking planters. How about spraying some of that rattle can bed liner material in the planting areas? It turns to plastic and some people use it to protect fence posts. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Lud

That's a good idea, 21incher!   Is your wife a happy woman? :D :D :D
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 21incher on March 16, 2014, 01:38:24 PM
Great looking planters. How about spraying some of that rattle can bed liner material in the planting areas? It turns to plastic and some people use it to protect fence posts.

You may get carded.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

justallan1

I need to spend some time and check to make sure whatever I put in them isn't going to kill her plants. That probably wouldn't be good. :D
I like the idea of making metal liners for them and even have access to a metal brake, HMMM!
At least on this project I don't need them done until the end of April.

Allan

hardtailjohn

Lookin' good Allan!  You need something to do when you're waiting for a heifer to decide weather to calve or not! hahhaa   (how many this year?)
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

shinnlinger

If you do a plunge cut in from the back you can remove all the waste much easier AND it provides drainage.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

justallan1

Good idea, Shinnlinger.
John, this year I have the bulls for the whole ranch as usual and just over 350 cows to babysit, with about a half of them being 3 year olds, so not as bad as the heifers. And if would dry up a bit I'll be getting the big farm tractor ready to go.

Allan

VT_Forestry

Those look really good...here is a similar one I built for my in-laws to get it up off the ground.  I think they now have it inside the house with fake flowers in it so it doesn't get messed up  :D

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

justallan1

WOW! :o That is really nice, VT_Forestry.

Allan

Thank You Sponsors!