iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

562 XP's

Started by HiTech, March 12, 2014, 07:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

I have seen a lot of posts on here and I have made some on this saw. It cuts like nothing I have ever seen for its size. My issue and see others with the same was hot starting. I did the high speed thing when new and jumped through all the hoops. I have run it for about 10 months now and finally got it through my thick skull how to restart it HOT. Put the choke on and then kick it down...hi idle, decompress it, and pull the rip cord...Bang!! it starts right up. When being a little brain dead and don't do this I have a starting issue. Never had a saw that goes from idle to wide open as fast as this saw does. I know that procedure maybe a little bothersome to many but it works.

Yatt

I agree.

A good chunk of the auto tune issues are from people not reading the manual. :snowball:
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

HolmenTree

I own a 562XP for going on 2 years now and can say it's the best running saw I've owned in 40 years.
Only had some hot start issues where I had to use the fast idle when the temps were well into the 90's with lot's of humidity.
I own a lineup of Huskies from the little 338XPT-14" , 550XP-16", 562XP-18", 372XP-24"up to the 395XP-36".
I find the best b/c setup for the 60cc  562XP is 18" with a pro grade Cannon 3/8" [.375] .050 mini nosed bar.
The chain on it is no longer on the market, first introduced in 1976 and discontinued some time in the 1990's.
This was my favorite logging sawchain for a 60cc saw. Its a Oregon 76LG .050 chisel 3/8"[.375] chain with a cutter bit the size of a .325 chisel but with a heavier duty 3/8" chassis, very smooth quick chain on a 16"-18" bar 60cc saw.  Excellent bore cutting capability with this b/c also with very low kickback.

Also notice I replaced the saw's toothed dog with a smooth bumper. Gives a little more bar length, saves some weight and makes smooth operation while limbing, topping and bucking not snagging onto anything.
Dogs are not needed on a saw this size if the chain is kept sharp making good self feeding.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SawTroll

Quote from: Yatt on March 12, 2014, 10:17:39 AM
I agree.

A good chunk of the auto tune issues are from people not reading the manual. :snowball:

Yes, and they never really are related to the Autotune.  :)

When everything else fails, look in the operator manual!   :laugh: ;D
Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 26, 2014, 11:38:37 PM
Also notice I replaced the saw's toothed dog with a smooth bumper. Gives a little more bar length, saves some weight and makes smooth operation while limbing, topping and bucking not snagging onto anything.
Dogs are not needed on a saw this size if the chain is kept sharp making good self feeding.  .....

I totally agree, except that I don't replace the dawgs with anything.

As you said, the Oregon 76 and 77 chain has been discontinued, and so is the Topic chain, that was Stihls counterpart.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on March 27, 2014, 10:46:36 AM
Quote from: HolmenTree on March 26, 2014, 11:38:37 PM
Dogs are not needed on a saw this size if the chain is kept sharp making good self feeding.  .....

I totally agree, except that I don't replace the dawgs with anything.

As you said, the Oregon 76 and 77 chain has been discontinued, and so is the Topic chain, that was Stihls counterpart.
If you do remove the dawgs you do need to install the bumper or else the saws muffler will get banged up all to heck.

Niko, here's some pics of the Stihl 33 Topic Super 3/8"- .050 chain compared to the full size 33 Rapid Super 3/8" full skip chain .
Notice the difference in side plate hook angle between the 2  showing how aggressive todays chain is ground right out of the box from what the 1970,80 and '90s chains had.
I guess the reason for these chains being discontinued was they were so close in comparison to the .325 chains. But myself being a production logger at the time these chains had a stronger chassis then the .325 and could take the punishment of a 50-60cc saw and offer superior smoothness felling, limbing and topping smaller timber.
A full size 3/8" chain can be switched over onto the same b/c and rim sprocket when needed in larger timber, which in my mind offered great versatility not having to stock different pitch size rim sprockets and bar noses as you would with .325 pitch.
As a matter of fact these chains could replace the .325 pitch all together.......maybe they should bring them back.

HolmenTree

To add to my last post , here's a pic of what I did back in the day when I competed in timbersport competitions. You can see the larger cutter replacing the other chains smaller profile cutter.
For a fast cutting chain I'd replace the cutters of the little 76LG chain with full sized 3/8 cutters. With this modification I had a full size cutter on a lighter and less bulky chassis offering much better chip clearance and chip flow.
Back in 1989 when I worked for Stihl the factory sent me 50 loops of 33Topic Super chain with the full size 33 Rapid Super cutters installed. I had these chains tested by loggers in northern Alberta but left the test with another member of our branch, as I left their employment and went back to my old logging job in Manitoba.

jacob j.

That 33 Topic Super was decent chain. We had a partial roll new when I went to work at the Stihl dealership in 2000. I sent several loops to an arborist in Australia and he loved it. He bothered me for a year to get him more but I was never able to find much.

HolmenTree

Jacob that's good input, I wonder if Stihl still sells  the 33TS in other parts of the world ?
If they can manufacture the .404 High Tooth chain in limited numbers I'm sure anything is possible.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 27, 2014, 12:57:23 PMNiko, here's some pics of the Stihl 33 Topic Super 3/8"- .050 chain compared to the full size 33 Rapid Super 3/8" full skip chain .
Notice the difference in side plate hook angle between the 2  showing how aggressive todays chain is ground right out of the box from what the 1970,80 and '90s chains had.
I guess the reason for these chains being discontinued was they were so close in comparison to the .325 chains. But myself being a production logger at the time these chains had a stronger chassis then the .325 and could take the punishment of a 50-60cc saw and offer superior smoothness felling, limbing and topping smaller timber.
A full size 3/8" chain can be switched over onto the same b/c and rim sprocket when needed in larger timber, which in my mind offered great versatility not having to stock different pitch size rim sprockets and bar noses as you would with .325 pitch.
As a matter of fact these chains could replace the .325 pitch all together.......maybe they should bring them back. ....

Thanks for the pictures and insight!
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!