Started by hackberry jake, March 11, 2014, 11:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Here she is! 16" oliver jointer!

The aircraft carrier shot!

A sprite can for scale.

Can you tell im a little excited?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WmFritz

Wow Jake! I'm excited for you.
That monster is a long ways from the 8" Grizzly you was eyeballing. I see what a little patience can do. Nice score!
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

hardtailjohn

Holy cow! That's huge, and I bet it weighs a ton! Oliver is supposed to be good stuff, from what I've heard. Congratulations Jake, like was said, that's a long ways from the 8" Griz!! (you SHOULD be excited!!)
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

SwampDonkey

:D

Now what are you going to build? Holy cow is right!! Huge!!  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LeeB

So, you gonna build a bigger shop to keep it in?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Seaman

Let me figure how far away you are! You could edge my slabs with that monster!
Great find!
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

21incher

Congratulations on your new jointer. How long are those tables?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Dodgy Loner

You're gonna need an F-15 to go along with that aircraft carrier :D

Seriously, though - nice jointer. I'm only a little jealous :-X
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

petefrom bearswamp

Oliver is right up there in quality.
What a find!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

I was gonna say what Dodgy said, we're just jealous. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom L

wow, nice jointer, that thing must weigh 2 tons!

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

hackberry jake

A little over 2200 lbs... and thanks fellas!

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

Nice! More old iron saved.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

You won't regret going big when you need to flatten that 15" wide board. I'm not really envious, but dang. :o :o :o ;D
I would be allright with one like that. Looks to be in really good shape, too.

2 Questions: Where did you find it?
                    How much? $$$$$$
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

hackberry jake

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on March 12, 2014, 11:52:12 AM
You won't regret going big when you need to flatten that 15" wide board. I'm not really envious, but dang. :o :o :o ;D
I would be allright with one like that. Looks to be in really good shape, too.

2 Questions: Where did you find it?
                    How much? $$$$$$

A good fisherman never tells  ;)

mesquite buckeye

Why is that? Looking for another one? ;D :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

thecfarm

Not even unloaded and he's bragging about it all ready.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishpharmer

Exceptional jointer, I'm a little envious too.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

pigman

Not big enough. What are you going to do when you need to face joint a 17" board. :D :D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dave Shepard

I saw a 20" Martin at a shop at my woodworkers guild meeting. I could probably build a new wood shop for what that thing cost, and certainly could if you added in the Martin moulder, planers and sliding panel saws. :o I think I'll stick to dreaming about the old stuff for now.

I know where there is a 24" jointer that I've got my eye on. I think it's getting a helix head one of these days.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Sounds like a dedicated slab/beam jointer. Only problem is it takes 3-5 guys to run it. :(

hackberry jake

Quote from: pigman on March 12, 2014, 02:59:38 PM
Not big enough. What are you going to do when you need to face joint a 17" board. :D :D
one could always flatten 16" of it, then put it on another board and run it through the planer. :)

mesquite buckeye

Somebody will buy that 24" jointer just so they can say mine's bigger. ;D

Trouble with that one if you want to go full capacity, even the guys with 20" planers would have to upgrade to a 24. Cha ching. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:

SwampDonkey

Good in theory until the wife says she's putting a hold on all funds. :D

Larry

That's a great looking machine and the dollars stayed right here at home. :)  Maybe you will let me touch it one of these days. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

Come on down Larry! After getting the 1956 radial arm saw and now this 1945 jointer... I thought "maybe ill just buy american made tools from here on out"... then I got to thinking about things like battery powered drills and routers... I dont think americans make such things.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Very nice jointer. I can really admire it and appreciate it because I not the one that has to lift it off the trailer for once.  :)
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

WDH

I have some slabs that would really like to meet you  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

xlogger

is it 3 phase? nice I like it.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

hackberry jake

It is three phase. I have passed up too many good deals on equiptment just because they were three phase. Its time for a phase converter. The man I bought the jointer from also threw in a 10hp three phase motor to build a rotary phase converter. I have an appointment with "Larry" this morning to look at the one he built and shoot the breeze.

ET

HJ, very nice indeed. Makes my little 6" craftsman look like a baby!  :D
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

bedway

Speaking of phase converters, who on here has built one and whats the cheapest way to go about it? Ive also passed up so many great deals on equipment over the years because they were 3 phase.

Larry

I've built several.  Cost is really dependent on how good you can scrounge and what you want out of one.  I think possibly the best place to find plans is at practical machinist.  They have one section devoted to rpc discussions.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

hackberry jake

If you are at all interested in a phase converter, my best advice would be to start looking for a cheap three phase "idler motor" a little bigger than the load you are planning on running. I went with 10 hp for the idler because I plan on getting a 7.5hp planer as soon as the "accountant" will allow me to.

WDH

You are going to need a "Planer Room", too  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2014, 09:03:01 PM
You are going to need a "Planer Room", too  :).
This is coming form the only person I know with a 20" planer with a spiral head...  say_what I sold the 5hp woodmizer and the 3hp rbi to get the funds for the jointer... Now I'm stuck with the dewalt  :'(

WDH

I used one of those little screamers Dewalts for a long time  :).

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 13, 2014, 09:53:30 PM
I used one of those little screamers Dewalts for a long time  :).

I gots one of those yeller planers.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

petefrom bearswamp

Hackberry I bought a planer a few years ago and upgraded to 10 hp 3 phase.
I then bought a converter with a 20 hp Marathon (still built then in the US) idler.
Cost me 700 or so but hasn't given me a bit of trouble in 10 plus years now.\
Pete
Once again, nice score on the mega jointer.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Phorester

Very nice jointer.  Glad to see there's some things older than me that still work good.  Gives me hope.  ;D

Texas Ranger

Nothin is older than you, you are just well preserved.  8)  You reckon it will ever thaw in your neighborhood?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Phorester

Calling for another 2 - 3" snow tomorrow night Don.  Temps in the low 20'sF all week.  First winter in my career where we haven't been able to get in a few prescribed burns. Then we had a warm spell last week with unusually high winds and low humidities that brought a flurry of fires. 

Our nurseries can't lift seedlings because their either covered in snow or the ground's frozen. I figure we'll still be plowing snow off the streets in May.

SwampDonkey

20" more coming Wednesday up here. Bring your shovel Tex, as I think internet will soon be buried. ;D

hackberry jake

Got the phase converter finished last night. Man she really pulls the shavings! Thats the 10hp "Idler" motor next to the stack of shavings. I think I am going to need to hook my dust collector to the jointer... that is just from the side and face of a crooked 2x6.

SwampDonkey

Need a conveyor and chip van to deliver planer shavings to the nearest pulp mill. Another revenue stream. ;) ;D

Mooseherder

I saved 5 large contractor garbage bags of planer shavings from the Pecan Farm table project.  They added up quick.  Got tired of moving them around and being in the way so I burned most of them in the fire pit except for a metal garbage can full by the Grill pit.  A little goes a long way.  You're going to have a few more cubic feet. :D
Nice jointer for your projects all the same. :)

yukon cornelius

I wish I had all those shavings! im trying to level several areas on our mountainside so im putting all our shavings out to compost down for the dirt. that planer is awesome!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!