iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommendations on a draw knife?

Started by Jeff, March 09, 2014, 10:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t f flippo

Knew I saw it somewhere......

Build Your Own Low Cost Log Home by Roger Hard has a nice section and commentary on peeling logs. Good pics and drawings of log building tools; peeling spuds and draw knives. I like his suggestion of an old short,d-handled garden spade modified as a spud to peel logs.

Log Building Tools & How To Make Them by R.D. Arcand  has great sketches. Including leaf spring drawn knives and
peeling spuds. Also a 'forged square nose garden spade' for bark peeling.

tc

PS   Would be great to have Purple Otter as a neighbor for this kind of stuff.

giant splinter

Jeff,
Barr Tools are in Idaho and the tools are hand made ....... here is a link      http://www.barrtools.com
The guy that Makes the axes for your auction also makes draw knives as you know and his are super nice.
roll with it

SwampDonkey

Seems to be all kinds of sources. Even Lee Valley sell a couple, but they are Swede and Austrian. The Swede one is a long blade and the handles are not at 90, the kind of draw knife I'm more inclined to have, but very pricey around $250. Same folks that make the axes over there. Hand made as well. You don't have to grip a handle like on a 90 degree one.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

My Cabin dream is on a budget, so pricey tools are something I probably won't be able to swing. I am going to have to buy a good impact driver for the 12" log screws. Just that one things will be over a couple hundred dollars.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

I found the one in my garage. It isn't pretty, but I think with a little work it will do the job. This one appears to be bevel down only. I'll see if I can get an edge on it this week.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jeff

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I was just saying. Lots of things we would like but can't have. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

LittleJohn

Be careful draw shaving wet cedar, it tends to get stringy build up on the blade and can affect the cut and your patience.  Assuming you have any left  :D

...patience that is

Jim_Rogers

Jeff:
Tom Perkins, my partner in the tool business, was just here. I mentioned to him that you needed a draw knife for debarking some logs.

We have this 12" restored and sharp debarking or mast draw knife on the list for sale. And he said we should send it to you.

I'm boxing it up now and it will be in the mail today.

I'll pm you to get the correct address for the post office to deliver it to you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

VictorH

smiley_clapping smiley_clapping smiley_clapping   To Dave, Jim and Tom

Jeff

This is great! I can return the knives when this is over too. Anyone that would like to bring a knife up and demonstrate how to use it on a log or ten will be welcome too! ;)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

TW

I would recomend a Swedish Gränsfors drawknife if you can get one. I use a similar one from another long gone maker and it's curved blade and handles in line with the blade makes it ideal for barking. Much easier on hands and arms than an English/American style drawknife with angled handles.

SwampDonkey

Yep, that's the one Lee valley sells from Sweden. My #1 choice to.

isawlogs

I have a few here, most come from auctions and are from days gone by. I have both my great grandfathers draw knives and both are very similar in size and wear, I also have a spoke shave from my great grandfather. I am sure he can find a draw knife at an auction that would be as good as any bought new today other then have been around for a long long time.
There is one thing most don't seam to understand, he is on a tight budget to get this dream up and going, spending a wack of money on tools is going to hurt that budget.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jim_Rogers

I just got an email from the post office saying that the draw knife I sent him will be delivered today.
So he should have a very big package being delivered sometime soon.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

SwampDonkey

Marcel, I think a lot of us are wishing and dreaming we had said tools mentioned and that's as far as it goes. I'd still probably buy the Swede draw knife just because of the ergonomics and not so much economics if I was building a cabin. I know, I know. :D :D

isawlogs

Good on you Jim, ya know between any and all of us here, he would not need buy too many tools,  ;)  I also sent him a box not too long ago.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

I't's here!  I've put the draw knife right along with the beam machine that Marcel sent, and they are eagerly awaiting action!

TW

Marcel
Sorry........ I am probably growing too accustomed to my damaged back so I was thinking more about ergonomics than budget in this case. For me the ergonomic difference between Swedish style or American style drawknife or bark spud is the difference between getting the job done or getting myself a long sick leave...........

SwampDonkey

TW, Jeff is eager to get the ball rolling, but he's not eager enough to abuse himself too bad. I have a sore shoulder lately, and I think it started from lifting/loading a 400 lb snow blower.  NUTZ! :-\

LeeB

lifting a snow blower will do a number on those two.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dave Shepard

I once picked up a TroyBuilt Horse rototiller and threw it to the front of an 8' pickup truck. No, I don't wonder why I have back problems.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!