iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore tree

Started by mtnman, March 11, 2014, 06:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtnman

How strong is a Sycamore tree?  I have a large tall Sycamore tree too close to my garage and it could be a hazard and do some damage if it falls.   I am thinking about cutting it down especially if it is like an oak and will fall.  Is the Sycamore as durable as the Hickory trees?  What do you think, should I cut the Sycamore tree down or let it live next to my garage?
mtnman

Phorester

There is no way to predict how long any tree will stand.  Even the healthiest, most windfirm tree can come down in the next thunderstorm if winds get strong enough.

Having said that, check the base of the tree.  If it has no holes or cavities, that eliminates one concern.  Tap on the trunk with a hammer, hatchet, even a rock, just above the root flare and going up as high as you can reach.  If it sounds solid, that eliminates another concern.  You can tell what a hollow tree sounds like by tapping on one that is obviously hollow. Some of them sound like tapping on a drum.

Has there been any cnstruction activities in the last few years close to the trunk of the  tree?  Trenches, new driveway, new sidewalk, lowering of the grade line, new building constructed, anything that could have cut the roots within a few feet of the trunk?  If not, that eliminates another concern.

You say "too close to my garage".  What is making it too close?  If you just mean that it would hit the garage if it fell in that direction, in my mind that's not enough of a concern by itself to remove it if it has no obvious defects as described above. However, if you are really worried about that likelihood, then I'd take it down just to relieve the worry. 

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mtnman

Thanks for the reply!  The Sycamore tree is actually across the road from my garage but has a little bit of a lean toward my garage.  If it fell in that direction it would do some damage.  There has been no construction around the tree.  If it is as strong as a Hickory tree, I would not worry too much.  If it has the same weak root system as an oak tree, I want it gone.
mtnman

gfadvm

I have several HUGE sycamore trees at our clinic (over 4' in diameter). They tend to shed a lot of limbs in our ice storms but have never tipped even when the ground is saturated and the wind hits 70 mph. I never see a sycamore laid down but storms here. Oaks and hackberrys, YES.

mwigant

I'll second that opinion: brittle branches, strong tree.

mtnman

Thanks Folks!
I think I will let it live.
mtnman

Thank You Sponsors!