iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulling this with a 3/4 pickup?

Started by RKH Logging, March 11, 2014, 12:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKH Logging

Well i bought a 12 ton tag along float today. The trailer is equipped with electric brakes. it weighs 6000 lb. and is in really nice shape. I did not get around to taking any pics but here is the identical one off Google images. The only reason i purchased the trailer was cause the guy needed cash, and dumped it real cheap. like $2000 cheap. Now here is where you guys come into play. I own a 2010 f250 superduty, and that would be the only thing i would have to pull it. (unless i threw a trailer hitch on the jetta lol) what should i do with this trailer? add it to my fleet and find something to use it for? take the time to sell it for more then i paid and make a profit? and if i did decide to keep it would you tow it behind a f250? and if you did what would you put on it weight wise? would it be safe? like i said it has electric brakes not air.. any help or advise or even horror stories would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

BargeMonkey

You stole that trailer for 2k. Truck may have the snot to pull it, problem is your hitch on the truck. I have a 2012 F-350 mason dump with a pintle in the rear and move small equipment all the time. In a pinch I would put your skidder on it and go. . 8)

Gary_C

Quote from: RKH Logging on March 11, 2014, 12:10:18 AM
and if i did decide to keep it would you tow it behind a f250? and if you did what would you put on it weight wise? would it be safe?

No!  Tongue weight will be too high for a F250. Those trailers were best used behind a tandem axle dump truck hauling a backhoe.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

RKH Logging

so your saying even empty i should not pull this? i hope that's not the case I purchased it 5 hours from home and plan on towing it back on Thursday. if i did have the proper truck in front of it, would the trailer handle my skidder? (its a Clark 666 cable). if i decided to keep it i guess a old 5 ton dump single axle would do the trick no? it would be nice to be able to move my own machine.

Gary_C

The problem with pulling that trailer with a pickup is the hitch point is so far behind the rear axle of the pickup that you will carry too much weight on the rear axle and will be lifting the front (steering) axle. Plus look at how far back the axles are on the trailer. Even with no load on the trailer, most of the weight of the trailer is on the back axle of the pickup.

You could most likely be able to pull the trailer empty, but any load would have to be way back over the axles on the trailer to keep from overloading the rear axle of the pickup.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ianab

Empty it should be OK, but once you get any serious machinery on it..  :-\

Looking online a F250 is rated to tow 10-12,000 lb depending on the model. So it certainly shouldn't be hauling that with a heavy load. And if you are only hauling lighter machinery, better off with a lighter trailer?

Personally I'd sell it and buy something more suitable for your needs. Getting it for that price means you should be able to make a buck if you are more patient than the current seller?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

OneWithWood

Not only is the weight distribution problematic but if you have any serious weight on the trailer stopping (even with the electric trailer brakes) will be an issue.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Woodhauler

Quote from: RKH Logging on March 11, 2014, 12:10:18 AM
Well i bought a 12 ton tag along float today. The trailer is equipped with electric brakes. it weighs 6000 lb. and is in really nice shape. I did not get around to taking any pics but here is the identical one off Google images. The only reason i purchased the trailer was cause the guy needed cash, and dumped it real cheap. like $2000 cheap. Now here is where you guys come into play. I own a 2010 f250 superduty, and that would be the only thing i would have to pull it. (unless i threw a trailer hitch on the jetta lol) what should i do with this trailer? add it to my fleet and find something to use it for? take the time to sell it for more then i paid and make a profit? and if i did decide to keep it would you tow it behind a f250? and if you did what would you put on it weight wise? would it be safe? like i said it has electric brakes not air.. any help or advise or even horror stories would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

If you bought a trailer like that for 2 grand, i would run the vin number!!!  You might not be able to regester it!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

BargeMonkey

Quote from: OneWithWood on March 11, 2014, 03:01:48 AM
Not only is the weight distribution problematic but if you have any serious weight on the trailer stopping (even with the electric trailer brakes) will be an issue.
But the new super duty commercial says I can tow 20,000 lbs ???   Can you tow it, yes. Is it right - NO. Find an older single axle, be your best route. We have guy local here who moves his 540D Deere skidder behind the same set up you've got. Under the cover of darkness. Do you have a DOT # or business name on the side of your truck ?  Just play stupid and go easy.

FFLM

Go get your trailer but I would not make a habit out of pulling it with a F250, I have a 9 ton Hudson that I pull with my F450 PSD, and that trailer is about 6000 Lbs. empty.  I put my TJ 208 on weighing in at about 12000 Lbs, and that's a good load for me!  It will do more but it doesn't make it right.
208 Jack, 372's and F450 Stroker

David-L

Looks like a beauty, I would find a single axle yard tractor, put a weight box on the tractor and moving your own skidder when you want it moved is great. lots of trucks out there for cheap that are ok. F-250 maybe unloaded, but loaded stopping will be an issue and tongue weight will tax those rear springs. good luck.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

HiTech

You need a heavy duty single axle or tandem to pull that safely. All it takes is one screw up and you hurt someone and then you can bunk with "Bubba". lol I saw a guy pull a 10 ton trailer behind a heavy duty 3/4 ton truck and put a 450 case dozer on it. They are light and it was too much for the truck. Another thing you may pull it with your pick up but not for long. The gears in the rear end will start singing. The strain you put on them will sharpen the teeth like razors. Just not big enough. I hauled a 9 ton trailer and my backhoe on my old F-500 Ford dump truck with a 361 gas and a 4 plus 2 speed, and a F-600 rear end...drum to drum, and it was all it wanted. The truck was about 9,600 lb. empty. That had to been 30 years ago. lol I still have the truck and trailer...neither have been on the road in a long time. When my skidder moves now the Paystar 5000 does it with a 25 ton trailer. The trailer was bought for a 40,000 lb. track hoe.

OntarioAl

RKH logging
The maximum trailer weight (trailer plus load) that you can legally tow in Ontario is 2800 kg (6160) lbs  I call  it the RV exemption. Once you start hauling a trailer around greater than that you are into the commercial range.
A commercial truck licensed weight must be large enough to cover the gross weight of the truck and trailer load. When a vehicle in Ontario is licensed for more than 4545 kg (10000 lbs) you now trigger annual safety checks, daily vehicle  circle check and Driver Logs books, also check with your insurance provider if you are covered some companies do not cover a commercial carrier.
I would be suspicious of such a "smoking hot " deal  like Woodhauler says run the Vin number it may have a lien on it and you may be out your cash time and mileage if it is encumbered.
Just  my thoughts
Al
Al Raman

Offthebeatenpath

If you plan on hauling much more than a few thousand pounds with your F250, I suggest getting a weight distributing hitch. It plugs right into your receiver and has bars that connect to your trailer and help pull some of the tongue weight to the front axle.  Few hundred dollar investment- I had to do a bit of welding on my trailer, but it essentially made what I can legally tow with my 2006 f250 jump from 6000# to 14000#.  My trailer handles much better too.  I also installed those rubber Timbren shock supports in the back  Another couple hundred bucks but they installed in 20 minutes and I see and feel big difference with payload now.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Seaman

Pull it home empty with your truck, sell it, and buy a smaller trailer. :(
Or keep it and buy a bigger truck. :)
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

loggah

Basically ,you might be able to tow the trailer home empty, loaded with anything "NO" , put a 666 Clark on it, and try and tow it, you would probably end up in jail !!!!!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

PaYoungBuck

Put air bags or rubber stops in the rear of your truck it'll make a world of difference. Load it and see. Use your judgement. I would make short moves but you will be heavy avoid towns....

Glenn

Legally - no way in Ontario.  And you need an A license if you pull a trailer rated for over 4600 K even if its empty.

RKH Logging

Quote from: Glenn on March 11, 2014, 08:24:45 AM
Legally - no way in Ontario.  And you need an A license if you pull a trailer rated for over 4600 K even if its empty.
Quote from: OntarioAl on March 11, 2014, 06:53:06 AM
RKH logging
The maximum trailer weight (trailer plus load) that you can legally tow in Ontario is 2800 kg (6160) lbs  I call  it the RV exemption. Once you start hauling a trailer around greater than that you are into the commercial range.
A commercial truck licensed weight must be large enough to cover the gross weight of the truck and trailer load. When a vehicle in Ontario is licensed for more than 4545 kg (10000 lbs) you now trigger annual safety checks, daily vehicle  circle check and Driver Logs books, also check with your insurance provider if you are covered some companies do not cover a commercial carrier.
I would be suspicious of such a "smoking hot " deal  like Woodhauler says run the Vin number it may have a lien on it and you may be out your cash time and mileage if it is encumbered.
Just  my thoughts
Al

i do have my AZ licence. and my truck is registered commercial.and my insurance is also a commercial policy. and as for the trailer having a lien or being stolen, is not the case i went down to look at it and paid for it, came back home with the ownership and had no issues picking up the plate and putting the ownership in my name. now all i have left to do it go get the trailer.

RKH Logging

Quote from: Offthebeatenpath on March 11, 2014, 07:03:30 AM
If you plan on hauling much more than a few thousand pounds with your F250, I suggest getting a weight distributing hitch. It plugs right into your receiver and has bars that connect to your trailer and help pull some of the tongue weight to the front axle.  Few hundred dollar investment- I had to do a bit of welding on my trailer, but it essentially made what I can legally tow with my 2006 f250 jump from 6000# to 14000#.  My trailer handles much better too.  I also installed those rubber Timbren shock supports in the back  Another couple hundred bucks but they installed in 20 minutes and I see and feel big difference with payload now.

My f250 has air bags in the rear. and i also have the weight distribution hitch.

caveman

I would haul it home with my 2000 F-350 and try to trade it for a gooseneck equipment trailer or sell it outright.  Let us know what you eventually decide to do.
Caveman
Caveman

stihltoomany

You need a gooseneck or fifth wheel type hitch to even think about hauling a load with that trailer. I think you will find tonque weight to be the killer. Maybe convert it to fifth wheel hitch. Down here we can only haul ag products up to 26,000 lbs, otherwise commercial rules start to kick in. I haul at 26,000 lbs gross but not with a bumper hitch trailer. I prefer the staight truck idea. Good Luck
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

Dave Shepard

You could haul that with a 250, but what is it limited to for bumper pull, 10 or 12,000 pounds? At most you could haul 6,000 if you put the load far enough back on the rear axles to keep from overdoing the tongue weight. Personally, if you need a trailer, I would trade it off for a gooseneck. You will have a much higher allowed combination rating that way, and a lighter trailer as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

treeslayer2003

the trailer will haul your clark well but not behind a pick up. a 10 wheeler with a log body and you would be set all but a loader.

shawn55

my trailer is about the same a 20,000 lb trailer with a pinto hitch. i've pulled it with my 2003 f-350 v-10 and with my 225 timberjack on the back its a little scary. lets just say im gonna sell the trailer.

Thank You Sponsors!