iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hickory slab pricing?

Started by willmyers0169, March 10, 2014, 10:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willmyers0169

i had a lady contact me today about slabbing some hickory for her to use as benches.. being new to the whole sawmilling thing, what is a fair price? i know hickory is a tough wood to saw so i would allow for blade expense.  thanks. will
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

Magicman

I charge hourly rate on special jobs such as that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Hickory is comparable to the harder oaks when fresh cut. Only thing is the blade has a bit of a tendency to wander if it isn't sharp. 7° blade will rip it just fine if you have one. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

LittleJohn

Quote from: Magicman on March 10, 2014, 10:52:53 PM
I charge hourly rate on special jobs such as that.

Especially since your somewhat new to the game!  That way if you have any break downs or cutting goes slow, you still get paid for your effort.  Assuming she is providing the log, from which you are slabbing.

willmyers0169

thanks guys, yes she is providing the log and i have plenty of new blades waiting to be put to the test.
Machinist, WM LT15 230 JD skidsteer 2010 JD 2955 JD Jonsered chainsaw

francismilker

I charge hourly on slabbing no matter what type of wood it is.  It's hard actually price it by the board foot and be practical about it in my opinion due to barked edges and log taper.  I use 7 degree blades as well for hickory on my little LT-10 and it does just fine.  I take my time and it walks right through.  8)
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Thank You Sponsors!