iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outrigger Log Arch

Started by Magicman, March 10, 2014, 07:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nk14zp

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 11, 2014, 11:50:49 AM
Nice job of re-purposing materials  MM.  What's the reason for the short pieces of tubing at the corners? ???
With no gussets that is where it will bend first.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Magicman on March 11, 2014, 08:25:09 AM
There are several areas targeted for bracing, and also there will be a swing-away jack on the tongue.  I may can get some of that done Thursday/Friday.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I got some of the bracing done today.  Well everything but the "strongback" across the top.  But first I decided to add a swingaway tongue stand.  I have had this one for many years and had no idea when/where I would finally use it. 

The wheel will be handy.  It does not crank up and down, but since this is not a heavy trailer tongue, it should be OK.

I had another 4' of 2X3 tubing which made two braces for the main frame.

I believe that it will serve my purpose now.

I did finally have to spend a few $$$ today because one of my tires would not hold air.  I'm using mobile home tires and the old 7-14.5 are no longer available so I upgraded to two 8-14.5 tires.  They are rated at 2835 lbs each at 100 psi so I now have plenty of carrying capacity.  The pair cost me $100.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Not to bad for an old guy ;D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Andy White

Lynn,
All those braces will keep that thing on the (straight and narrow) without coming unglued. Excellent product for a spur of the moment need. It will serve you for along time. I'll bet you can't wait to use it!!     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

As I was building this arch I knew that it's first job would be the Walnut tree/logs for Andy White.  We just had not revealed our plans at that time.

Hooked up and ready to make it's 45 mile trip to the Cabin.

It's very first log to haul.

The 44" width and 50" height worked very well for loading these logs onto Andy's trailer.  Also the holes along the entire length of the top allowed us to be able to hang the come-along and straps at any point to better balance the logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chopperdr47

Very nice.
Not that I don't have enough projects to keep me busy, but I'm sure that the "Midnight Design Committee" will be keeping me up on one for myself.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

hackberry jake

I guess I have been too busy to monitor the ff for a while. I didn't see this topic until just now... Awesome build MM! Makes me realize that I already have most of the parts for one! The wife will be thrilled... Another project...

I still haven't done anything with this trailer. Log arch it is!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

blackfoot griz

MM-
If you do decide to paint that beauty, be sure you have your ID ready when you go to the store!  :D

Magicman

It's sorta painted now.  (& probably all that it will ever get.)  I kept running out of rattle cans and colors.  It's black, metallic bronze, and gray.  Well, maybe some Walnut bark colored.  ;D

justallan1

Nice job, MM. It certainly looks like it's doing the job.
Jake, I wish I lived closer, I'd be trying to barter you out of that trailer.

Allan

hackberry jake

Quote from: justallan1 on March 18, 2014, 10:58:07 PM
Nice job, MM. It certainly looks like it's doing the job.
Jake, I wish I lived closer, I'd be trying to barter you out of that trailer.

Allan

I would sure barter... 
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SwampDonkey

Nice log arch there MM. Mighty handy on the tree farm, considering you own a mill and tractor. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Rockn H

Magic, the arch looks good.  Have you thought about making the triangle removable so you could bungy it to the end of a long log?

Magicman

Thanks all for the good words and comments.  :)

Yup, one bolt and one screw and it's off, but for now there is no intention of being on the road.

Stinny

Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2014, 01:50:13 PM
Thanks all for the good words and comments.  :)

Yup, one bolt and one screw and it's off, but for now there is no intention of being on the road.

Nice job MM.
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

21incher

Great job. Thanks for sharing the pictures. That arch is huge, it looks like you could strap a small stationary mill under it and easily take the mill to the trees if you didn't want to take the trees to the mill.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

36 coupe

Quote from: Rockn H on March 19, 2014, 10:33:01 AM
Magic, the arch looks good.  Have you thought about making the triangle removable so you could bungy it to the end of a long log?
SMV signs mount in a socket.I can take the sign off my trailer and put it in a socket nailed to the log.Theres a socket on my log arch as I have to travel on the highway for a half mile to get to my logs.Sockets cost 2.50 and let you move the sign around.

Magicman

Well I learned something new today.  Thanks.   :)

Freedom6178

I mounted 2 strong magnets to the back of my SMV sign. I can put it on just about anything.. tailgate of my truck the trailer the backhoe etc.. cost a little bit more than $2.50 tho but is very easy to move around..
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

Magicman

My winch came so after the storm today I rolled the welder out.

I welded two eye bolts to the frame.  One for the block and another for the choker.  I didn't have a log so I used a "very heavy" empty 5 gallon bucket as a mock up.

I have already substituted a smaller block, and tomorrow I will shorten the cable and also let it wind on top of the drum instead of the underside.  It is gonna work very well.  That source has several winch options  If I was ordering again, I would get the same winch without the brake for $109.99.  (T3205 0101)  I did not choose to go electric even though I already have a Warn 3500 winch.  I did not want the extra weight and bother of dealing with a battery.

Andy White

Lynn,
That setup is just what the doctor ordered!! That will make short work of loading logs. Great Job even with the "stand in log".          Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

I though you would like that log.  Actually the species is "Emptus bucketrouses".    ;D

21incher

That winch looks great on there. How many cranks does it take to raise the log? Better be carefull when sawing that log. It looks like a yard log that contains metal :) :) :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

I needed to rearrange some ERC logs that a customer dropped off, so I was able to use the arch/winch this morning. 
Quote from: 21incher on April 05, 2014, 08:14:05 AMThat winch looks great on there. How many cranks does it take to raise the log? 

Twenty turns raised the logs from the ground to the transporting height.  I like the stiff choker cable because it was easy to slide it underneath the logs.  The weight was not enough for me to even think about shifting the winch into low gear.  I shifted the winch into neutral and actually did use the brake when unhooking.  Twenty-five feet of cable is enough for my use, and I am glad that I went manual instead of electric.

Thank You Sponsors!