iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outrigger Log Arch

Started by Magicman, March 10, 2014, 07:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

After I installed the Fine Adjust Outriggers (FAO's) on my sawmill I was contacted by a member about the old ones.  Sadly (for him) I had to inform him that I had other plans and those plans were building a much needed log arch.  I realize that using the proper lengths of steel would have probably been better, but this was what I had.

The first thing that I did was to chop the feet off of the outrigger posts.

I beveled the ends and welded them together end to end.

I had a mobile home axle which I chopped off leaving enough stub to weld my arch frame to.

After the "arch" frame was welded up and wheels attached,  I welded my outrigger tongue to the arch.

All of the frame is 2"X3" tubing and it has a 10' clearance to haul a 20' log.  It is 48" high and 44" between the axles.  I have a section of "sucker rod" at the farm that I will use across the top for a strongback. 

My only cost was the $15 for the trailer hitch.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wood monger

That's some nice magineering, MM.

drobertson

Not too shabby Lynn, I have been giving the idea of building one myself, I'm sure when I do I'll wonder what took me so long in doing.  I have some long skids and can only drag one at a time anyway, so why not?  good job man!
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I forgot to mention it but I oriented the outrigger holes on the top.  That way I can hook my cable hoist or tongs at any point.  Also wasp will not be building their nest in it.  I don't really know why I put the overhang on the back.  I reckon because I could.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy White

Lynn,
Looks to me like you are going into the log cutting/hauling business! That arch should haul the big ones with no problems. Good looking design. A good coat of WM Orange will have it looking like a new one.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

21incher

Nice job. That arch will handle a huge log. Would look nice John Deere green.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Magicman

Actually Andy, I have a special tree felling, skidding project scheduled for next week.  I was not wanting to actually skid the logs, so I was on a mission to finish the arch.  I believe that even without the strongback, it will serve the purpose well.   ;D

m wood

cant wait to see it put thru the paces Lynn.  21incher, mine would have to caterpillar yellow :laugh:
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

thecfarm

That's how I build suff,whatever I have handy. I have a lot of handy out behind the house too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Looks good. Were you planning to add gussets to the up-over-and-down, between the wheels? I know I over build the heck out of things and granted I've never built or used one, it seems a 20' log may add a bunch of stress to those corners.

Allan

Brucer

The highest bending stresses are going to be in the center of the horizontal cross member between the two verticals. It would be worthwhile to weld in a piece about 1/3  of the length of the cross member directly beneath it.

A couple of diagonal braces between the verticals and the cross member would stiffen the corners a lot. If you keep off side slopes, the braces will most likely be in tension so you'd only need some light stuff.

The extension out the back will let you use a second winch/cable/tongs to support a log entirely off the ground.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LeeB

Looks good Lynn. I would have put the holes to the side and drilled some of them all the way through to be able to put a sheave on a bolt that could be moved to the different hole as needed to act as a fairlead for the winch line. I assume you will add a winch. The one I have is homemade, albeit by someone else. It has 5 different places I can position the fairlead.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jemclimber

Looks very good MM.  I built mine with the overhang out back and it is nice for supporting the long ones completely off the ground when attaching two anchor points. Mine has a clevis in the very back of the spine to wrap a chain around the log.  I would agree with others that you may want to put a gusset in the uprights. The few minutes it takes might save some aggravation later.   

Now we need some action shots.
lt15

Magicman

I was sorta in a rush to have it ready for transporting some special logs next week, and there will be pictures.  That suspiciously sounds like there is a Walnut tree involved.  ;D

There are several areas targeted for bracing, and also there will be a swing-away jack on the tongue.  I may can get some of that done Thursday/Friday.

Billbob

Good job MM!  Consider putting an inverted Y on the long top spine two feet from the front and two 45 degree braces from the spine to the verticals at the axles.  That way you'll be able to winch the log up tight and it won't sway during transport.
Bill S
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

orion388

Very nice. I repurposed two of mine to a little boom pole :)

LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

Ga Mtn Man

Nice job of re-purposing materials  MM.  What's the reason for the short pieces of tubing at the corners? ???
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

LaneC

Great job. Excellent planning. I think you may have been stung by a wasp or 2 like me. Anytime I go to hook up any kind of trailer, hitch etc. I will hit it a few times with something and step back and prepare to high tail it to the nearest can of wasp spray :D I don't know which are more painful, the ginney wasp or the red wasp. :D
Man makes plans and God smiles

Magicman

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 11, 2014, 11:50:49 AMWhat's the reason for the short pieces of tubing at the corners? ??? 
I was wondering if anyone would notice or ask.  More places to hook stuff to. :)

losttheplot

A built in Peavey holder is as handy as a pocket on a shirt   :)
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Bill Gaiche

Looks good MM. Next photos should be with all the bracing and a nice walnut strapped under it headed to the mill. bg

Sixacresand

Nice looking rig, MagicMan.  It will be handy right behind your 4 wheeler.  Good job.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on March 11, 2014, 08:49:34 PMNext photos should be with all the bracing and a nice walnut strapped under it headed to the millheaded to a trailer.  ;D

Bill Gaiche

Ok MM, so you are in the transport business also. Hope it doesn't snatch up a sweet gum.  It doesn't know you hates sweet gum yet. bg

Thank You Sponsors!