iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loblolly Pine Logs

Started by James MacDonald, March 10, 2014, 05:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James MacDonald

I am about to start building my new farm,equipment and saw shed with Loblolly Pine for structure. Fellow that logged my parcel of Virginia pine and mixed hardwoods has a clearing project 60 miles away. He has a self loading truck that carries up to 24 foot logs, and we have not set a price yet. I asked for 3 to 5 loads, if I can afford them, and love the idea to get them here in the ground before it warms up.  I went and visited his current site, mostly pulp logs left to haul, and was Impressed with the care he used in thinning the stand.  When he logged my place it was a clear cut contract that satisfied my needs.  I am working on getting the place into horse pasture. 
Any thoughts on pricing would be appreciated.  I do not have a size for his truck, and he does not want to do a bdft tally.  Of course I will, just for information and to track yield.  I am thinking about $1,000 a load.
Thanks for your time.
Jimmy Mac
You should see what I Saw

Timberking 2000, 1964 Hyster FL, Kabota 43DT w/grapple, Case 580C hoe and never enough Tools

CCC4

I would buy it by weight being that is how my boss sells his pine. He gets $40 a ton for sawlog pine. Big pre-cuts can bring more but we sell tree length down to 7 inch top. Maybe this will help some in adjusting price. $1,000 a load sounds like too much in my opinion, however I don't know what size, grade and if the logger is going to buck all the timber to log length for you or not. But ours goes down the road for $40 a ton.

treeslayer2003

depends on the size of logs and capacity of the truck. I could that for 3000ft of large trees......over 300 ft avg.
where is nanjemoy???

Texas Ranger

I imagine there is a lot of variables between you and me in Texas.  That being said, we have two log costs, one for cut and haul and one for the landowner, or stumpage to the landowner.  Sounds like he is logging and has to pay the landowner.  At this time I am selling a tract where long log truck load would run 24 tons, my landowner gets anywhere from $30 to $40 per ton, the logger, somewhere around $20 to $25 per ton.  At that rate your $1000 comes pretty close.

Your mileage may vary.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

timberking

Did you say you were going to put them in the ground?  I wouldn't want any ground contact that wasn't treated.

James MacDonald

As I am learning Value and Cost depends on lots of variables which differ in parts of the country.
I will be paying a logger who is harvesting another's tract and hauling them after his costs to me.  I have a source of used utility poles for the ground anchor.  The pines will be for home made Trusses purlins and siding.
I live about 38 miles south east of the White House near the Potomac River, in Maryland.
FYI we are limited to shooting 33 deer a year, unless you get a permit to control the population from crop damage!
Thank You for your input. I will update with the final price I get my logs for.... And pictures.
Jimmy Mac

Timberking 2000, 1964 Hyster FL, Kabota 43DT w/grapple, Case 580C hoe and never enough Tools

James MacDonald

Update.
I ended up buying 3 loads of Lobblolly logs, all 24-6 long. Logger set the price of $850 per load and ended up with 78 logs.  As a new Sawyer it was Very Scary, and wife was not too happy. I am pleased, in the end as I learned how to saw, stack, maintain a good work area etc.  I calculated my 11 stacks of boards, beams, and framing lumber at 13k bft.
The man that I bought the logs from has his son running the feller and his Dad driving the self unloading truck. In the early 90's when he was felling for his Dad, they harvested a stand and left so many nursery trees per acre standing to reseed the forest. 20 years latter they are back on same plot to harvest pulp and I got the nursery trees!
I was able to have the slab of my saw shed poured today and the building will be trussed 28x40. I plan to be able to have my TimberKing in the far end and able to pull out for mobile jobs, cleaning and maintenance. Happy to have sawed up the lumber before the summer heat hits, and be under roof before the snow flys.
Having a good time.  Love this forum and really learned a lot.  Seems I am always reading here.
Jimmy Mac

Magicman

Congratulations.  It sounds like your plans are taking wings and flying.   :)

Now, whataboutdawife??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

So you have a stack of wood for just under 20 cents a bdft. Sounds good, as well as your summer plan to get the mill under roof.
Wife should be pleased, if you tell her what that whack of lumber would cost from HD or Lowes, and the quality is much better.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!