iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

who doesn't like CHEESE??

Started by m wood, March 10, 2014, 03:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m wood

a fella I know gave me this small cheese sampler :D. 

He thought I was due a favor.  We swap favors back and forth from time to time.  I owe him a whopper now!!  Ended up being 43 lbs of raw milk white cheddar...awesome and mellow.
OK, Let the "bound up" jokes begin to flow :D
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Raider Bill

My Dad used to send me 10lb blocks of XXXXX super sharp NYS chedder. Bout cut your tongue it was so sharp.

DELISH!!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

What a great present!!
The last time we sent a man to the moon back in the 70s he didnt find any cheese and we havn't been back since.
I get 5x at a local spot.
Raider Bill, PM me and i'll send you a pound or so.
Can't afford 10 pounds!
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

coxy

Quote from: m wood on March 10, 2014, 03:48:05 PM
a fella I know gave me this small cheese sampler :D. 

He thought I was due a favor.  We swap favors back and forth from time to time.  I owe him a whopper now!!  Ended up being 43 lbs of raw milk white cheddar...awesome and mellow.
OK, Let the "bound up" jokes begin to flow :D
you are wright a few bites of that or a glass of milk and I am dun for a while  :D :D :) :)

celliott

I work part time in a cheese factory.
You'd be amazed how fast we can turn one of those blocks into packaged product. Go through thousands in a day.
They also come in ~640lb blocks (about a 3'x4' block of cheese)
He shoulda gave you one of those!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

sprucebunny

SCore on that big cheese block  8) Are you going to age some of it ?

I love cheese and eat lots ... mostly Cabot because I can't afford the good stuff which is night and day better...

Funny how none of the mass produced stuff even mentions it's age anymore  ::)

The best cheeses I've had in the last few years were from an Abbey in Quebec. They make Cheddar in various ages, several Bleus, Brie and Fontina styles.  digin_2
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Ken

Good score.  I eat a fair bit of cheese.  The tangier the better.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

m wood

the wifes phone has a pic of the cheese down to some 8 lb, 2 lb and 1 lb blocks.  shes at work right now, maybe that pic later.  that food saver came in handy, without it being deer season :D.  Sprucebunny, if vacuum sealing in the freezer means aging it, then yes, by the time we get to the last of this cheese...it will have aged some ;).  I like a good xxx sharp too, probably just not this much of it.  My all time favorite cheese is smoked gouda. 

note: I am a huge milk drinker, used to drink white russians from a stadium cup.  Now I'm at about 4 or 5 gal of 2% a week by myself  (I'm in the process of introducing the 1% to try to trim down 15 pounds or so).  I'm making up for being lactose intolerant until my mid 20s.  ;D
mark
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

thecfarm

celliott,you need any favors done!!??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

m wood

No doubt celliott, 640 lbs !!!  yikes.  I grinned and hoisted my 43 lb chunk up like it was the Stanley Cup :D
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

drobertson

First job was working at a Hickory Farms store,  center cut sharps on 40lb wheels, hard to beat, now some of the stinky ones? limburger is one of them, there are a few more, but now blue cheese ;D  I can go for this. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

celliott

Quote from: thecfarm on March 10, 2014, 08:02:29 PM

;D
I need a forestry job to get away from the cheese!

I think I'd have a tough time sneaking a 640 out  :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

coxy

Quote from: celliott on March 10, 2014, 08:59:44 PM
Quote from: thecfarm on March 10, 2014, 08:02:29 PM

;D
I need a forestry job to get away from the cheese!

I think I'd have a tough time sneaking a 640 out  :D
na just get a bigger bag  :D :D :D :D

sawguy21

:o Did somebody mention CHEESE????   8)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mooseherder

That much cheese could improve almost 500 pounds of grits and save them from getting tossed.  I love cheese.  :)

21incher

Raw milk cheddar used to be my favorite and then it disappeared off the shelves in NY. Wonder if it has something to do with crazy NY laws. 43 lbs, You won the cheese lottery!!!  :) :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

petefrom bearswamp

Just sent Raider Bill 5 pounds of the 5x.
Hope it meets his expectations.
I take some Triskets or crackers  topped with 5x after 30 sec in the microwave out to my hot tub nearly every evening. (along with a very dry adult beverage enhanced with 2 olives).
Limburger is a favorite soft cheese of mine. Have a friend who wouldn't try it for a long time but now loves it.
If it tasted like it smells no one would touch it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dave Shepard

I love cheese. It's the best use for milk I've ever found. :D

A friend of mine once purchased some Limburger by accident. Being packaged in foil like cream cheese, he purchased on sight, rather than close inspection. He was a bit shocked when opening the package, but not having anything else handy to eat, made the best of the situation and held his nose and chewed quickly.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Texas Ranger

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 11, 2014, 12:44:55 PM
I take some Triskets or crackers  topped with 5x after 30 sec in the microwave out to my hot tub nearly every evening. (along with a very dry adult beverage enhanced with 2 olives).
Limburger is a favorite soft cheese of mine. Have a friend who wouldn't try it for a long time but now loves it.
If it tasted like it smells no one would touch it.

You are a bad influence,  I like that, but the adult beverage should be imported from the Misty Isles.  We have to go to specialty markets to get good cheese down here, Cabets  is the best available around here.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

m wood

bearswamp, anyone would agree about the limburger smell, but if you get past that...only time I've eaten limburger and fried onions on some kind of rye (i think), was at an Octoberfest, and then after only several pitchers of heffeweizen. ;D.  This Irish/English bloak always seem to end up with red-headed frauleins. :o. ??? :-\, that love to drag me to an outdoor PARTY.
I am Mark
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
check out FB

Burlkraft

I've been known to consume a wheel or two in my day. That sharper than sharp yellow cheddar we make here is pretty good. The 15 y.o. stuff. That's made it to the pig roast a couple of times. I also had some area swiss that had quite a nice bite. I got some stinky brick from beenthere for Christmas this year.  I was enjoying some with chopped onions and little rye bread and a local micro brew when my good friend Teal decided she could get past the smell and try some.  She did and after she got sick in the kitchen sink she told me I could have my cheese.
Why not just 1 pain free day?

blackfoot griz

We have a dedicated "cheese drawer" in the 'fridge.  Last count, 12 different flavors!
Good stuff!

sawguy21

Steve, that is funny. :D A brick of sharp crumbly cheddar sure doesn't last long around here. Tillamook in Oregon makes some excellent cheese, they are more creamy but still DanG good. Try their garlic cheddar. MMMM. We pick up the extra aged in Bellingham, can't buy it in Canada.  I  know some of you are Limburger and Swiss blue cheese fans but I can't get near the stuff. :-X
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Red Good

Cheese in general and the stinky stuff in particular . 1st wife's parents had a dairy and we could get whatever the company made . mmmmm miss the cheese !
Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

LeeB

I really like camembert but cannot afford the stuff. I have to settle for the little piece I get on the plane when traveling on European carriers.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!