iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain for 3120XP

Started by ohiowoodchuck, March 10, 2014, 02:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I just picked up this saw a few days ago used. It seems to be in really good shape. I ordered a 36'' .404 bar for it. My question is what type of chain should I use on this bar? I will be using it to cut up a bunch of bigger logs on my farm for firewood. Keep in mind the wood could be a little dirty from laying on the ground or being drug to the old skid landing.
Education is the best defense against the media.

webgal

The local guys really like running Oregon's 27A / 27AX chain for that application. Fast cutting and stays sharp in dirty conditions longer. These fellas are into production too running-doggy.
Gotta know when to fell em, know when to tell em, know when to walk away, know when to run....

ohiowoodchuck

Thanks I ordered some tonight should be here in a few days. I'll give it a shot

deerslayer

It may also be worth the effort to clean off the bark from the area of your cuts. When making bucking cuts in large logs, most of the cutting is going to be inside of bark but you don't want to unnecessarily dull expensive (and long) chains. Spend the time to clean the wood before cutting and it'll probably save time and money in the long run.

An adz works really well for this purpose. A small axe can get the job done too.

I really try to avoid skidding wood that's going to be bucked but i realize that sometimes it's necessary. I usually buck it where it falls and then move the rounds. (leaves all the mess behind too)
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

ohiowoodchuck

Good suggestion there. I have 3-4 big trees laying that i will cut in place. My dilema is my farm was select cut 8-10 years before I bought it. They skidded alot of the whole trees out and bucked them at the landing, so I got a big pile of wood that will make great firewood. I hate to just burn it when I could use it, but I need to get it cleaned up rather quickly as I got a dozer coming to do some work in this area for me.

Al_Smith

It's an opinion I guess about semi chisel chain .It can take some bit more abuse but it will rock out too if you hit the dirt hard .

I'm not one who files fourty different chains for special conditions .Good old round chisel for everything except my feeble attempt of being a saw racer .That's only on occasion of which I'm not very successfull .It's fun though . ;D

Thank You Sponsors!