iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's a used LT40 worth?

Started by Paschale, June 15, 2004, 02:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paschale

Hi everyone,

I've got a lead on a used LT40.  Here's the story:  it was bought at auction quite some time ago, and unfortunately, it's just been sitting out for years, exposed to the elements.  It's gonna need some work to get it up and running.  I don't have tons of details, since I've not examined it really close, though I may have the chance to next week.  I've read/heard great things about the LT40, and I think I might be able to buy this for between $1500-$2000.  I know going in it's going to need a lot of work, but the question, which is hard to answer, is is this worth the price?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom

I would think that the Engineering would be worth $2000 even if nothing worked.  You can expect to pay $10,000 to $12,000 for an old one that is operable but in poor shape.

If the engine and hydraulics work, the rest is nothing really but replaceable maintenance items anyway.  Expect to spend some money on guides, tires, belts, engine tune-ups and stuff like that.  There isn't much that can go wrong with an LT40 to make it useless other than bent frame.

Knowing the year of manufacture and what options it has would be help in guessing at a value.

sparks

It depends on what you mean by bad shape. If you can look over the mill and email me you findings I can give you a parts estimate before you buy the mill. What does and does not work would be helpful.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Furby

Ummmmm  Paschale, if you decide NOT to get this mill, would you mind dropping me a line?  I might be interested.  ::) ::) ;D

I don't know a whole lot about them, but I have been around a few LT40's, if it's close by and you would like, I can help you look it over.
Either way, get the estimate Sparks offered!  ;) ;)

Norwiscutter

unless the thing has been crushed by a falling tree, or in a major car accident, I would think it would be worth the money.  Obviously, there are a lot of varriables that will determine the value, but if the frame is solid, you probably couldn't buy the metal to build it at today's steel prices.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

D._Frederick

E-bay has one for $21000, about 245 hours.

RMay

Call Wood-Mizer they have a price book on where mills like used cars . You would have to subtract the parts it would needs from the price . ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Engineer

I'd be all over that for an LT-40, even a dog junker barebones model.  I bought my LT-30, 1985 vintage, for $3500, and brought it straight to WM for rehab.  They put new guides on it, new follower chain, new solid-state speed control, and basic maintenance, lube, oil, belts, etc.  I put $1600 into it.  So now it's a $5000 mill, and worth every penny of five grand.  If that's two grand, needs a new engine, maybe some parts and welding, so you put five G into it max, still got yourself seven thou into it for a ten grand mill.  

Yeah no doubt.

Bibbyman

Depending on your skils at fix'n WM mills,  you may want to consider taking the mill to one of the WM service centers and having those guys put it back into top sawing condition.  They've got programs just for such work.

Wood-Mizer Service plans

Last year, when Mary and I stopped in at the Mt. Vernon service center,  Will Baugh was just testing out a very early model LT30 that had been setting for some time and needed new belts, battery, tune up, adjusting, etc. I don't know how it sawed when new,  but it was doing a fine job of an old, dry walnut log that day.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Engineer

Hey dat looks just like my mill - except mine was in New York last fall so Kyle and Dave could work their magic on it.  All mine needs now is paint.

I think I'll paint it BLUE ;D

Swede

2 000 for a LT40!  :o I can´t buy a wreck for 20 000

I think a band saw mill = 4-poster but I would buy that VM if it´s not very bad burned or cut in 2" pieces.  First of all I would make clear it´s not stolen.

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Paschale

Thanks for the replies guys--I've been without a comp for a few days, so I'm just getting back and seeing what y'all had to say!  I'm pretty sure I'm gonna move on this. I've got some more information--it's been sitting out for about ten years, and that's the last time it ran, so it's definitely gonna need some work.  I called WM, and they said the most important thing is to make sure the guide rail (not sure if that's what it's called) isn't bent.  I'm gonna go check it out again early next week and have a close look at it and see how it stands.    My dad's good with small engine repair, so I have no doubt that we can get the engine up and running.  For the rest of it, I like the idea of taking it to a WM service center and getting her in tip-top shape.

I'll keep you all posted on what happens--if you're a betting man, the safe bet's on me buying myself an LT40! ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Tom

Yep, you don't want a bent rail. :D

Actually you don't want one that is bent up or down.  One bent sideways a little bit doesn't hurt much.   The rail is the heart of the saw. On the woodmizer it is the round bar that is welded to the top and bottom of the frame.  Bent too bad and the saw will bind.  A little bend will make a board have a hump.  Bent sideways doesn't hurt much if the saw doesn't bind. :)

Furby

I'm guessing it takes a bit of effort to bend the rail on a WM, don't it?
How offten does this really happen?
Just wondering.

Tom

The only time I saw the frame bent on a woodmizer, it was from a traffic accident and had nothing to do with a log. :)

Pete J

I second the vote on painting it BLUE

LogRite

C_Miller

It's old, Its rusty probably be lotsa headaches.tell you what since I hate to see you waste your time. I'll come take it off the guys hands for you. ;D

C
CJM

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!