iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cupped piece of wood needs to be flattened

Started by CHARLIE, March 09, 2014, 08:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHARLIE

A friend brought be a 5/16 inch thick, 18 inch diameter wood disk that had cupped.  It is painted black and I suspect it was sitting next to a window.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get that disk flat again?  I have thought of putting it in a box with high humidity (wet towels) and a weight on top, but not sure that will do it.

If I can get it flat, I plan to remove the black paint from the bottom and glue on a 1/4 inch piece of wood with the grain running 180 degrees to the grain of the original disk. Other than that, does anyone have any ideas on how to keep it from cupping again once I get it flat?
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Don_Papenburg

Wet the concave side .
the convex side has more moisture making it expand . you might be able to just dry the convex side. as far as keeping it flat ???????????I was always told to keep both outsides the same thickness of the same or similar woods.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

jueston

it sounds like the paint is on the concave side, which makes sense. the unpainted side gains moisture faster than the painted side, so it bowed out to the unpainted side. what you need to do is balance out the moisture, instead of trying to make the painted side gain moisture, i would try to get the whole thing down to as low a moisture as possible, and then put an even coating of whatever you use(poly?) on both sides, and that should avoid one side gaining moisture faster.....

if you laminate another piece of wood onto the bottom you are basically creating a tug of war, and in the end my guess is one of pieces will just crack down the middle....

Busy Beaver Lumber

I could come sit on it for a spell :D 300 lbs can be very persuasive 
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

LeeB

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on March 10, 2014, 06:51:04 PM

Then it would have a big crack in it.  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Chuck White

Quote from: LeeB on March 11, 2014, 06:48:54 AM
Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on March 10, 2014, 06:51:04 PM

Then it would have a big crack in it.  :D

Or on it!  ;D

Sorry Lee, I couldn't resist!  :D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LeeB

Depends if the cup is up or down.  :D  No need to apologise to me. I just hope BBL doesn't mind us poking fun at him. If it helps him feel any better, I know all about that 300 lbs.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CHARLIE

Thank y'all for the information. I have a better understanding of the situation now.  I guess I didn't describe the piece of wood very well 'cause it is painted all over, top and bottom.  I was considering removing the paint on the bottom.  :)   Now I know I need to remove moisture from the top and I'll give that a go. Thanks!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Busy Beaver Lumber

Chuck. Lee, or anyone else.

Anyone that knows me can tell you i have a good sense of humor and  can take a joke as quick as I can tell one. In fact I love to laugh and kid around. One of the younger lads that I work will is always kidding me about my weight. He says I am what happens to people when their metabolism slows down.

Have all the fun you want, this is one Beaver you can not offend with good hearted humor.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Magicman

I have never dealt with painted boards, but with unpainted ones, I lay them in the sun with the cup down.  Keep a watch on it, and when it levels out move it to the shade to relax.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!