iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Tires

Started by David-L, March 09, 2014, 07:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Anyone want to pipe up on some ag tires. Blew a sidewall out on my 4wd tractor yesterday. 18.4x34 Radial. dosen't look repairable and these rear tires have been on borrowed time for a few years. i am running 14.9x24 on the front and are BKT's which I replaced last year. The backs are original Michelin and those are pricey but good. Pretty much on a budget as things have been breaking left and right. i am opting towards BKT but also wondering about Titan. Anyone know any other brands worth looking into even if there not a name brand.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Mark K

Titan is a decent tire. Get the heaviest ply you can get. I always like the firestone 23 degree angle tires. We ran those on our heavy tillage tractors. Long life and good traction. Look at stomil tires too. Had a set on my spreading tractor when I was on the home farm. Very hard tire. Did alot of road running and they showed little wear.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

David-L

Mark K, Will look into those, haven't forgot the blower just working seven days a week till the mud arrives and that will be soon where i am cutting. my skid road goes through wet spot and even brushed up its next to a road where people can see, so you know how that goes. Was almost 50 degrees here yesterday and i was in a t-shirt. That are calling for some crap weather this week, Maybe i can ship it then. Are Titan's made in the USA.

David l

David-L

Where are there Stomil tire dist around here in the Northeast. anyone know?

David l

rick f

I got alliance tires from Jay at highway tire in Caribou, Maine for the front of my skidder. They have been on there 2 winter and there just like new. Check with him he will know who to call around you or will ship them direct to you.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

EricR

nokian makes forestry tires designed for tractors.  I use a valtra valmet with a set and they seem to hold up good

DeepCreek

Titan R4s on mine. Nothing bad to say about them.

Mark K

David l-no hurry, whenever you get around to it. I understand the whole pushing till mud season. Our Case dealer sold them. Fairly reasonable.  You should be ok with titan tires, alot of new tractors come thru with them on so they must be decent.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

thecfarm

I hate R4.   >:(  Those should be outlawed for any tractor that is not going to be used on cement. I see no use for someone that really uses thier tractor in the woods,or slippery ground. Maybe if someone puts 100 hours a year they are fine. I had the Ag and now I have then DanG R4.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

David-L

Will be at pete's tomorrow and looking. will check out Titan's, BKT and Firestone and will try to find the Alliance dealer and the other one Mark k mentioned. won't cheap out but also on a budget.

David l

DeepCreek

Quote from: thecfarm on March 09, 2014, 05:33:54 PM
I hate R4.   >:(  Those should be outlawed for any tractor that is not going to be used on cement. I see no use for someone that really uses thier tractor in the woods,or slippery ground. Maybe if someone puts 100 hours a year they are fine. I had the Ag and now I have then DanG R4.

Different strokes for different folks - or applications. Ags tear up the ground and are unsuited for heavy loader work. R4s work fine for me. I simply don't go in deep mud or on saturated ground. I can get away with that because I am not making a living with that machine.

BTW, my R4s do fine in my woods, even on the steep stuff. I have been pleasantly surprised. But like I said, I don't go into them after a downpour or when snow is on the ground. The latter is a rarity in these parts.

But why do you have R4s now, if you hate them?  ???

thecfarm

Have to use something first hand to know if you like something or not.  ;)   I did not know nothing about R4s, I brought a used tractor and they was on it. I have never been around tires like. I would like to get rid if them when they go bad,but I might have to buy new rims. BUT it would be worth it. Lucky you don't run them in snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I have R4s on my Kubota backhoe. It's the only option from Kubota. I've done a very wide variety of work with my Kubota. When I first bought it, I was a full time landscaper. It was great for working in peoples yards, it would do pretty well on grass. It has also seen a lot of heavy dirt work and also a lot of time in the woods. In the snow/ice, I don't think any tire is much good, time for chains. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bert

I have Titans on my backhoe. No complaints and goes anywhere you ask it to go. It will go better than the skidder on snow.
Saw you tomorrow!

thecfarm

I run AGs on my other tractor in the winter. Same trails and I had a hard to get up a small incline with the R4s with a hitch behind me. Most times I would have to drop it and go forward and than winch the trees to me. I hardly ever had to that with the other tractor. I noticed a BIG diffenace. I have a piece of land that is work in progress. It's kinda wet,when I start digging out rocks or smooth out a rough part. Thise R4 spin more and takes me longer to do a job,because I have to do it from another side,because one side is wet and I can't do nothing on it. It's also on a hill too. About the only thing I like about them is the tires pack down an area. I am always digging out a rock or smoothing a place out. They do pack down new dirt real good. That is the only good thing that I can say about them. If I did not have AGs before I would not of known how bad R4s are for me.

macpower

We have run Firestone R1s pretty much for ever on everything from 20 though 100pto hp, in the woods and on row crops. Loaded with beet juice on back and jack the air to max load on front for loader use. I think they are still US made too.
I have to agree with thecfarm on the R4s, they are about like t**s on a bull on anything but a flat parking lot.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

PeterAce

In anyone's opinion, will R-4's filled with fluid wrapped in chains be okay in the snow?  Tires sound like the same argument as the machines themselves - great at one application, horrible at others.  Seems hard to really find a one size fits all.  Guess the wife will just have to understand that we will need a few different machines  ;D

Dave Shepard

I have my backhoe tires filled with Potassium. 600 pounds each. The tires are 17.5L 24-R4. I have chains for them, and they work great. I had a big maple butt log on my front lawn a couple years ago left by a tree service. It was at least 5,000 pounds. I pulled it up my driveway in 2WD with the chains on. The driveway was solid ice, and it didn't even hesitate. I doubt I could have pulled it in 4WD without the chains.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

I would have no idea for sure. I never have run chains. But since I got the R4,I've been thinking about it.But you will be happy with the loaded tires.

petefrom bearswamp

Titan Ags on my Kubota 8540, 1000 plus hrs used for skidding firewood and moving logs  and lumber around the mill with no problems yet and showing very little wear.
the rears are loaded with beet juice.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

petefrom bearswamp

Also on Stomils, I don,t know the distributor, but bought 2 for my old 4020 JD from mcKee tire in Cincinnatus NY
Maybe google Stomil?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

David-L

Thanks for the input's all, went ahead with two BKT 855 radials today and getting them filled with beet juice. I am running some 14.9x24 BKT's on the front and they are wearing well after two years. The dealer says any issues and BKT stands behind them as well as the dealer. Saved $1000 for two tires compared the the Michelin Agri-bib. Nice tires but can't swing it now. I have heard nothing but good about these BKT's and time will tell.

David l

Thank You Sponsors!