iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bar oil jug spout

Started by husky2100, March 08, 2014, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

husky2100

Does anyone know if you can get a bar oil spout that fits on the jugs.

trapper

not a spout but i use a quart laundry detergent bottle to fill my saws.  easy to fill and easy to fill the saw with.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

husky2100

sawguy21

Yup, learned that trick many years ago after giving a saw (or two) an oil bath. That stuff is a real pain to clean up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

NCFarmboy

Quote from: trapper on March 08, 2014, 09:50:39 PM
not a spout but i use a quart laundry detergent bottle to fill my saws.  easy to fill and easy to fill the saw with.
Bingo!  That is what I use too.  Works great.  I wouldn't recommend laundry bottle for fuel mix,   I tried it, the bottle got soft overnight.  Plastic wasn't compatable /gas.  Too bad tho since they do work great for bar oil.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Dave Shepard

Depending on viscosity, poking a slot in the foil under the cap on the oil jug helps greatly with spillage control. I use the bar wrench to stab across the foil. About a 1/4" wide should do it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Mad Manitoban

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 09, 2014, 09:10:49 AM
Depending on viscosity, poking a slot in the foil under the cap on the oil jug helps greatly with spillage control. I use the bar wrench to stab across the foil. About a 1/4" wide should do it.

That's what I do too. Works great.

Al_Smith

Okay here's the hot set up .Get either an era jug or liquid tide that  has the little valve on the bottom .It holds a gallon of oil .Actually 1.17 gallon .

No muss no fuss .Put the oil in the saw not on the saw .How 'bout that for slick -- 8)

Andyshine77

I use these spouts, Autozone has them. I normally find them without the tube, wouldn't use the tube any way. They fit every oil jug I've bought and normally are around $4.00 sometimes a lot less.

Andre.

LeeB

Ive got a funnel at home that has threaded spouts on it to fit both quart and gallon sized jugs. the quart spout threads onto the gallon spout and it screws to the funnel. It was years after I bought it before I figured that part out. Always wondered why it had threaded spouts.  :-[ I've had it for quite a few years. Don't know if you can still get them or not.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

bandmiller2

All good ideas, I've always relied on a steady hand and quart screwtops . May try the dishwashing plastic bottle that you pull the top up. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

billporterfield

I have been using Aldi's Pancake syrup bottles. They have a snap top lid, just turn bottle upside down and squeeze, stop running when stop squeezing. They don't go bad, used them for years. Don't spill either

stihltoomany

I use this one. Found them at the farm and home type store, $1.49 I think. Work great, have several for different jugs. They fit quarts and gallons plus another size. Flexible and don't seem to leak. Sorry for the late post. Took awhile to work through the picture deal. 

Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

husky2100

Were did u get that at a stihl dealer

stihltoomany

Blain's Farm and Fleet to be exact, but you don't have them there. Would bet some other local farm and home store does handle these.
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

husky2100

PAmizerman

@Andyshine77 how well does this spout work?
Does it seal to the jug? I bought a cheap one from tractor supply and the oil makes a mess all over the top of the jug
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

doc henderson

I buy them on amazon.  for bar oil, I have used the same one for about 10 years.  I cut the hose to about 3 inches.  I have one on the brake fluid jug for my dump truck as it is back under the cowl and hard to even get a funnel in.  I can twist it and shut it off and not dependent on tipping the jug down.  they seal up well, if I leave a little vacuum in the jug, it is released the next time I open it.  I buy them 6 at a time, so when my family sees how well they work, they do not ask for mine.  If they are helping, I can just give them one.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

lxskllr

I saved a big valved detergent bottle with the intention of using it for bar oil, but haven't yet done so. Hard to justify it. My big saws are pretty easy to fill from the bottle, and I use a metal drinking water travel bottle(24oz?) I got from the thrift shop to fill my little saws. That also makes it easy to pack going distances in the back country. My smallest saw that I use for climbing and at work, I keep fuel and oil in 325ml liquor bottles that fit in my back pockets. Someone here gave me that idea, and it's worked fantastically aside from the time I dropped a cap while in a tree. Still considering fixes to that, but maybe just be more careful.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andyshine77

Quote from: PAmizerman on December 29, 2019, 12:51:25 PM
@Andyshine77 how well does this spout work?
Does it seal to the jug? I bought a cheap one from tractor supply and the oil makes a mess all over the top of the jug

No mess at all and seals tight, I don't use the hose though as there is no need for it.
Andre.

Thank You Sponsors!