iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

which variety of oak

Started by hogdogman, March 08, 2014, 07:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hogdogman

is it that holds it leaves during the winter.

ladylake

Red oak holds it leaves, red oak has pointed leaves and white or burr oak has rounded leaves.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LeeB

Still green or dead? Liveoak is somewhat evergreen in that it doesn't drop it's leaves until spring.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

StimW

I think the oaks in my area just wait for a frost/freeze to start dropping and if we don't get a good one then the new leaves push the old ones off.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

terrifictimbersllc

In our yard it's white oak that holds some leaves the longest, northern red's all drop off quickly.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ladylake

Not right. I could put a pic up of red oak trees in my front yard with the leaves still on. looking at them right now and it's been a cold winter.  White oak leaves are gone long .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

If the leaves are still green, then it is live oak, of which there are several different species.  If the leaves are brown but have not dropped, then there are a few species of red oak that do not drop all their leaves in the fall.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

SwampDonkey

I have a white oak in the yard that holds it's leaves all winter. The neighbors when they first came here thought my tree was dead that first winter. My red oaks, I have several, all drop leaves in the fall. The white oak has red foliage and is much prettier than the reds. The reds will go yellow and quickly turn dead brown then drop in the fall winds.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

I think some have red and white oak mixed up. If it has pointy leaves it's red oak, look it up. Steve

SwampDonkey

I really don't think they are mixed up at all. In fact I'm 100 % certain this one isn't mixed up. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ladylake

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 08, 2014, 04:38:39 PM
I have a white oak in the yard that holds it's leaves all winter. The neighbors when they first came here thought my tree was dead that first winter. My red oaks, I have several, all drop leaves in the fall. The white oak has red foliage and is much prettier than the reds. The reds will go yellow and quickly turn dead brown then drop in the fall winds.

Exactly opposite .  Red oak trees have the really red leaves in the fall when they turn and there still a reddish tint now (I'm looking at them), white oak are way more pale tan or brown and are gone a long time now.   Steve

SwampDonkey

There are some cultivars of red oak that do have red fall foliage, I have a few, but they came from a camp ground and I'm not sure of the origins. But the local ones in my area like on Mars Hill, Oak mountain and Oakland all go yellow then brown. They are red oak 100 %. Those hills are all bald as a billiard. All of them including the red foliage ones are bare here in the yard and always blow away in November winds. My white oak still has leaves and they will drop in about May just before bud break. The red foliaged red oak have a bit different leaf shape, still bristle tipped, so they could be black oak maybe. Not sure. If anyone wants to come up this October, I'll show ya yellow red oak leaves, and in fact there will be brown already showing up as soon as they go yellow. They are the least colorful of any tree around. A pin cherry, now there is some red for ya, take your eyeballs out they're so bright red. I've traveled in the western part of VA in October before and those hills are yellow and brown with red oaks. Ask anyone who lives there.

brianb88

The only oak in my woods that holds leaves all winter until the new leaves push them off is what I have always known as a "post" oak.  I don't know which of the other oaks it is a cousin to but red oaks here do not hold very many leaves through the winter.  White oaks leaves last a little longer than reds but only the post oak leaves last all winter.  My terminology could be wrong about what I know as a post oak.
Measure twice, cut once

SwampDonkey

My white oak here is from Exitor, NH. It's a native white oak down there. Up here we have some towns that plant English white oak, but not this tree. Our native white oak in NB is actually bur oak and is very rare here. You won't even see it on most range maps, except 'Native Trees of Canada' will show it around Grand Lake.

DeepWoods

For what it's worth,

http://treenotes.blogspot.com/2009/02/nine-native-trees-that-hold-leaves-in.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcescence

If it's on the Internet, it has to be true ;D

I didn't know any of this till I looked it up.  Other than I always thought it was the white oak that held its leaves over winter.
Norwood LM2000 with 23 HP Briggs and 21 foot track, Hand Built Logging Arch, Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener and Setter. 48" Xtreme Duty Logrite Cant Hook.

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

Magicman

I have a Red Oak in my back yard that drops all of the leaves from the upper portion in the Fall.  The one lowest limb holds the brown leaves until Spring.  The other Red Oaks in the yard drop them all in the Fall.

This one is the same every year.  The upper leaves fall and the lower leaves stay.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The leaves fall off the tree because of a layer of cells that forms and closes off the end where the leaf was attached; this protects the tree from drying out, entry by fungi, etc. when the leaf separates and falls off.   This separation region is called the abscission layer or zone.  This layer of cells often is not very strong, and so  the leaf separates from the tree easily (slight wind or gravity) and safely (that attachment spot is sealed by the abscission zone cells).

Many trees form this zone in the early fall, and then the leaves drop off.  In some trees, this abscission zone does not always form in the early fall season, but may form later in the fall or even in the spring.  (Some scientist say that the zone actually forms in the fall but it is very strong and that is why the leaves stay attached for a long time.)  This delay in the formation of abscission zone, or its high strength, is more common in younger trees, or the lower branches of older trees.  With their lower branches holding leaves, they are feeding some of the four-legged wild animals that need food, but could not reach under the snow or reach if the leaves were too high.  It is amazing that Creation has so many examples of this symbiotic relationship between two different organic species.

Anyway, some oaks (especially post oak and white oak which are in the white oak group; pin oak, northern red oak and Schumard oak which are in the red oak group), American beech (especially younger trees) and hop hornbeam are well know species that keep their brown, dead leaves for a while.  Note that the leaves in this instance are brown.  If the leaves were green, then we would call it an evergreen (even though evergreens loose their leaves or needles in the springtime); both tan oak and live oak are evergreens.

NOTE TO ALL FF READERS--The following will be on the quiz that will be given next week: This retention of dead leaves in the wintertime is known as marcescence (mahr-ses-uhns).
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

Thank you Gene for explaining why the lower limb on my Red Oak always keeps it's brown leaves until Spring.  Now I know that it is nonsense marcescence.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Marcescence.  I like it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on March 08, 2014, 09:09:25 PM
NOTE TO ALL FF READERS--The following will be on the quiz that will be given next week: This retention of dead leaves in the wintertime is known as marcescence (mahr-ses-uhnt).
Haven't been tested on this subject since I was sitting in Doug Wilkerson's class some thirty years ago,  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

5quarter

WDH...somehow, I just knew that you would dig that word... ;) ;D ;D That is almost as good as "Deliquescence".
Quote from: WDH on October 17, 2012, 09:17:56 PM
Hey, I am vindicated... If he had mentioned deliquescent branching habits in oak or maple or rhytidomes in the inner bark of some elms, then I would have been worried :-\.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

5quarter

This is interesting regarding the oak leaves. all the oaks in my area are bare by January, except for a few pin oaks. I have a patch of high bush blueberries that are leafless, with the exception of two, which have retained all their fall foliage. they do this every year, and only lose them is the following spring when new growth pushes them off.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

SwampDonkey

Although softwood generally shed needles in the spring, they are retained 7-10 years in eastern spruce and balsam fir. White pine for 2 -3 years and are shed also at the end of the growing season or beginning of the next. That has earned it the name 'dirty pine' in camp yards because it's dropping needles more frequently.  ;D Having the needles retained at the end of the season for those growing Christmas trees is a good trait, as people don't want a mess of needles in the den. Some still drop because of drying and handling of course. ;)

chopperdr47

I have had friends ask me this same question about oaks keeping their leaves. Not that I am an expert by any means, but my daughters have tagged my wife and I as "bird nerds" and "tree geeks". I have tried to find some kind of answer for them and myself. Having the same tree having leaves that fall and some that don't has been very confusing. Now thanks to The Forestry Forum Center for Genius Activities I now have a new word to sport about.

For those of us in the "Grits Belt" States, we have about 15 different species of oak separated into the white and red oak families. On my piece of the south, I have 5.
If ya ain't got what ya need, use what ya got

Thank You Sponsors!