iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mobile firewood proccesor

Started by concretecutter, March 07, 2014, 10:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

concretecutter

hello everyone new to the site but been watching for a while, i got  a question has anyone thought about proccesing everyone eleses firewood here in northern wi firewood goes for 210 a full cord cut spilt deleverd seasoned for one year oak and maple what if i were to put  up an ad to process your log bolts by the  cord into firewood most people around me buy 8 foot logs off the truck usally ten cord per truck load. what if i had access to a mobile firewood proccesor what would you charge to proccess a full cord.

timberlinetree

I have seen ads for mobile firewood processing in the north east and know telling how long fuel prices will be at this level. Good luck
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

concretecutter

well right now everyone is soldout of firewood, the loggers that are cutting are taking all there loads to the local papermill and there buying as much as they can i have talked around and the guys that did sell truck loads of logs cant even get harwood and when they can there prices are much higher than normall. Propane has been at highs of 6 dollars a gallon natural gas which was the cheapest heating source is going up people are turning to either electric heat or firewood im really thinking that firewood is going to be a hot item this summer.

r.man

Lots of people in my area are running out of wood this year and there is not much dry wood available. Some producers have cut down on the amount they have been processing because of slack sales in the last few years. This year may change that trend. A friend and I were speculating that you could charge 400 per tandem load, which would be 6 bush cord of wood, to process on site into one or multiple piles. He likes the idea of a portable processor with a small picker attached. 6 cord loads of logs sell in my area for about 850 a load delivered. Cut and split is 80 a face or 240 a bush delivered.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

concretecutter

well with all the snow and cold weather we have been getting im sure its slowing the loggers down boy its gotta suck. i have been throwing around a few ideas i work 60 hours a week cutting concrete all summer and usaually get 2 months off a year and dont have anything to do and i have talked to the local loggers about helping out for short term but they dont usaully like that idea of taking someone on for only two months so i have been thinking about making a homemade firewood proccesor to keep myself busy. usaully people that get truckloads of logs delieved they sit around for quite some time before they get the ambition to cut it up and takes people all summer to do it not alot of people this day and age have alot of ambiton so a mobile firewood proccesor would be just the ticket just wanted to know what everyone else thought fuel prices wouldnt be an issue traveling i wouldnt think there is alot of people close by.

Ivan49

I saw an add on Craigslist last fall that someone had a processor and would come and cut and split your loads of wood. I think he wanted around 300.00 per 10 cords. This was in northern Mich. I copied the add but cannot find it now. If I remember right he said he could do 10 cords in a day

heat maker

Concrete, I was kicking around the idea also.  I am in the Connecticut, Western Mass area..  I am also looking for a good wood supplier before I take the plunge for a processor.  I am fortunate that I wont have to depend on the processor for income, but I would like to make enough to make the payment every month.  Around my area, firewood is hard to come by.. a cord is going for 225-250 a cord due to the long winter.. I am pretty set up to do it,  I have a one ton dump and a skidsteer with grapple for loading,  keep me posted if you decided to start it up.

thecfarm

heat maker,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

heat maker

Thank you CFarm.. Just getting my feet wet in the firewood business.. Its more of a hobby, not looking to get rich. 

dave_dj1

We have a guy locally that will bring his Timberwolf processor to your site and process your wood for 35 bucks per hr. He'll even bring his skidsteer if you don't have the means to load it. I'm not sure how much extra for the skidsteer. He told me that the processor cost him 35g's.
He enjoys it and I think he just wants to pay for the processor so he can have it for his own use.

heat maker

That's kinda my idea, as long as the machine pays for itself I would be very happy.. Like I stated above, I realize that this isn't a business that I can get rich off of.. But I am looking at getting my 15-20 cords a year done for free.. Theres guys in my area that have minimum of 30 cord jobs or $1000 minimum to bring there machine to your house..

Ivan49

Quote from: heat maker on March 13, 2014, 05:43:05 AM
That's kinda my idea, as long as the machine pays for itself I would be very happy.. Like I stated above, I realize that this isn't a business that I can get rich off of.. But I am looking at getting my 15-20 cords a year done for free.. Theres guys in my area that have minimum of 30 cord jobs or $1000 minimum to bring there machine to your house..

When you are talking cords do you mean pulp cord or face cord? They would not get much business in this area if it cost more to cut the wood up than someone had to pay for the wood. I realize that these machine cost a lot and yu have other expenses that go along with it but a 1000.00 dollars to cut up 30 cords of wood no matter if it is a pulp cord or face cord is high when I can buy a pulp cord of wood for 80.00 or less

heat maker

Ivan, its a pulp cord.. There advertising 150 a hour and 150 for travel and set up. for 30 cord or more.  And 180 a hour for less than 30 with the same 150 for travel and setup..there claiming they can process 3-4 cords a hour and its 1000 minimum..

Corley5

I've done a couple mobile jobs but prefer to stay on my own job.  It makes more at home than on the road.  Travel costs and time to transport the machine and the Bobcat to the job along with processing costs equals just about what the wood owner could buy already processed wood for without the mess.  The last mobile job I did I charged fifty dollars per pulp cord and they had 20 of them.  They ended up with 50 sixteen inch face cords at 48.00 each and a pile of sawdust, chips and bark to clean up. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!