iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

broadaxe

Started by knowslittle, March 07, 2014, 10:20:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knowslittle

Question: I  recently bought what I thought was a broad axe in great condition, 6.5" cutting edge, o.a. length 19.5", and a mirror sharp single bevel edge. It had been in a display cabinet in a local old-school hardware store, and the only markings was "hand forged" stamped on the side.
The pol is not angled, but the handle is.
  I replaced the old handle, made leather sheath, and noticed something. . .the face has no radius, it's as straight as an arrow, but looking down it's cutting length it has a cup to it, both the top and bottom flare to the right (it's beveled  on the right, flat side on the left).

Can somebody explain to me what it is that I bought?

And what is it's use?

Thank you gentlemen, I do appreciate the education you have given me.
Bob

Brian_Weekley

Could you post a picture of it?  From your description, it sounds like it might look something like #42 below?

e aho laula

knowslittle

Yes, Brian-weekley, that is it exactly.  Good pull!
Now what can you tell me of it?
And thank you!

Brian_Weekley

Broad axes came in many shapes, sizes, and styles.  The handles are suppose to be offset so you don't rap your knuckles when hewing.  Here's a demo of hewing a log...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h352aTjoNLY
e aho laula

Dave Shepard

Anyone else notice the world's most book-matched barn in the background? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

knowslittle

Thank you Brian, I appreciate the video as it does explain the cupping, but why the straight vs. radius edge?  Is it for greater control over the final shaving?
Thank you.

Dave Shepard

#42 is more of a carpenters hatchet for shaping, not hewing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 08, 2014, 09:32:51 AM
Anyone else notice the world's most book-matched barn in the background? :D

I did, I did, do I win a prize?
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Dave Shepard

No, no prizes today. :D I think Jack should enter the barn for a Guinness book of world records for bookmatching. ;D

Tom King

Broad hatchet.  Most useful to have a pair of opposites.

knowslittle

Thank you for the education, do appreciate it!
bob

Magicman

My Granddad called his a "hand axe".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!