iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pine panneling

Started by slider, March 07, 2014, 12:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slider

My friend is sawing some SYP for paneling a room in his home.It will be installed with black roofing paper behind it so a small gap will not be a problem.It will not be tongue and groove or lapped .It will be air dried inside with a fan .What moisture can we get away with.I was thinking around 12% .It will be 1x10's.Thanks   al
al glenn

Dodgy Loner

If you plan on air-drying pine inside, you had better have some serious ventilation. Green pine contains a tremendous amount of moisture, and if it doesn't have somewhere to go, you will have a moldy mess on your hands. It sound like your friend is going for a very rustic look with no T&G, lap, or battens, so 12% would be fine. Equilibrium MC will get up to around 10% inside during the spring and fall in Georgia.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

slider

Thanks Dodgy,He is going for that look.He was going inside with fans to avoid a mold problem.We were thinking because it"s been so wet this winter that inside with a fan would be better.
al glenn

WDH

It would work better if he had a way to vent the moist air from the fans out of the room/building and if he does not go light on the fans.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

This pine paneling was air dried outside, milled, then installed on the exterior walls of a mobile home. Unfinished, worked just fine.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

As a point of reference, a 10" piece of pine will move (in this case, shrink) 1% in width (that is shrink 1/10") for each 4% MC loss.  In the wintertime, the house interior can be around 6% EMC, so that means (if you started at 12.0% MC) about 0.15" (over 1/8") gap between each piece is possible.  Sometimes two pieces will stick together and so the gap will then be over 1/4" and then nothing and then another 1/4", etc.  I think that most foks will be unhappy with such gaps.  A house int he summertime may be 10% EMC, so the gaps will close almost all the way.  Note that 12% MC, is usually a ballpark estimate, so you might have some pieces that are wetter and that means an even bigger gap will develop.  Because of these gaps, most people use shiplap or t&g with a long tongue.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

I just made some barn doors with V-Groove SYP.  My issue was not shrinkage, but swelling as I kiln dried the boards to below 10% moisture content.  With the outside humidity and rain blowing on the doors, I had to engineer the doors so that the boards could swell just a bit.  I used the shrinkage calculator to determine the likely amount of movement between about 10% and 15% moisture content, and made allowances for just under 1/2" of movement for every 35" of door panel.  The door panels float in an 8' x 8' frame with a middle style, leaving two panels in each 8' x 8' door. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ellmoe

Danny, your just so darn smart!   ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

slider

Ellmo old Danny is not only smart he can play one more mean guitar .

al glenn

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It will really help if you can put a water repellant coating on the doors to keep the rain off.  Without that coating, the pieces can exceed 15% MC easily when raining and will swell more.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

That is a very good suggestion, and one that I will definitely take you up on. 

Man, it was hot that night  :)

Thank You Sponsors!