iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wheeled Feller Buncher

Started by 3rdgenlogger, March 06, 2014, 08:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdgenlogger

Wondering if anyone has opinions or experience with 4 wheeled feller bunchers for cutting hardwood timber.  We usually cut 14-30 inch hardwood timber.  Terrain ranges from flat to steep.  Skidding is done with a 548 grapple skidder.  I have been told by another logger that uses one that you can cut anywhere that you can drag with a grapple skidder.  I know that there will be some trees that will still have to be cut by hand, but it would be nice to have the increased production and safer felling in the areas that would allow one to be used.  Thanks for any input.

BargeMonkey

Theres a few of them up here, but its 10-1 track v.s tire. The guy I bought my skidder from has one, said he laid it over 2-3 times the first week getting used to it. Most only have a 20-22 inch head. Ive been looking into a bell 3 wheeler, they are cheaper and easier to roll back over. 

Kemper

I have a Tigercat 726 wheeled cutter. I wouldn't log without one, I've had mine for about 3 years and it's never been laid over. It has to be a really big tree not to be able to lay it down. Its great around boundaries and for the most part you can always lay the butts toward the landing for easy pulling. It's going to be bigger and heavier than your 548. As long as your not on extremely steep ground you will be fine. Eventually it will probably roll over, but like I said with a good operator it won't happen very often. Ours has yet to be on its side. It's amazing how fast you can lay wood down, much faster than a track machine. On certain jobs I bunch all the wood and the skidder will drag it out to a more open area for topping. Other jobs I will lay trees down individually top them where they lay and the skidder can bunch on their own. Just depends layout of woods and type of timber.

Quote from: 3rdgenlogger on March 06, 2014, 08:58:20 PM
Wondering if anyone has opinions or experience with 4 wheeled feller bunchers for cutting hardwood timber.  We usually cut 14-30 inch hardwood timber.  Terrain ranges from flat to steep.  Skidding is done with a 548 grapple skidder.  I have been told by another logger that uses one that you can cut anywhere that you can drag with a grapple skidder.  I know that there will be some trees that will still have to be cut by hand, but it would be nice to have the increased production and safer felling in the areas that would allow one to be used.  Thanks for any input.

3rdgenlogger

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 06, 2014, 11:24:56 PM
Theres a few of them up here, but its 10-1 track v.s tire. The guy I bought my skidder from has one, said he laid it over 2-3 times the first week getting used to it. Most only have a 20-22 inch head. Ive been looking into a bell 3 wheeler, they are cheaper and easier to roll back over. 
I thought about a track machine but the higher cost of buying and maintaining them changed my mind. I have talked to people that really like the Bells, but they look really unstable for working on hills. I have heard that they are really cheap to operate so that would be a plus.   If you get one you'll have to shoot some video to post on the forum. Thanks for the reply.

3rdgenlogger

Quote from: Kemper on March 07, 2014, 09:20:51 AM
I have a Tigercat 726 wheeled cutter. I wouldn't log without one, I've had mine for about 3 years and it's never been laid over. It has to be a really big tree not to be able to lay it down. Its great around boundaries and for the most part you can always lay the butts toward the landing for easy pulling. It's going to be bigger and heavier than your 548. As long as your not on extremely steep ground you will be fine. Eventually it will probably roll over, but like I said with a good operator it won't happen very often. Ours has yet to be on its side. It's amazing how fast you can lay wood down, much faster than a track machine. On certain jobs I bunch all the wood and the skidder will drag it out to a more open area for topping. Other jobs I will lay trees down individually top them where they lay and the skidder can bunch on their own. Just depends layout of woods and type of timber.

Quote from: Kemper on March 07, 2014, 09:20:51 AM

You pretty much verified everything that I have been told about them.  Do you have any suggestions for things to look for in a used machine?  With all this snow melting I should have some time to go shopping next week.  I know a dealer that has 3 on his lot that I may go look at Monday.  If that doesn't work out there is an auction next week that has several listed.  Thanks for the reply.

Kemper

When I bought mine I went around looking at center pins closely, seeing how tight the machine felt. Welds on the head of the machine and if they were willing to let me test the machine in the woods. Also inspect the motor closely, tires, rims, ect.

Thank You Sponsors!