iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone tell me what is eating my tree?

Started by 21incher, March 06, 2014, 04:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

I went out in my back yard to place some taps and noticed a big hole that has recently been chewed in a ash tree.

If you look about 23 feet up on the Left hand y of this tree there is hole that has recently appeared.

It is about 8 inches tall and 2 1/2 inches wide with a small hole below.

This picture is as far as I can zoom in which shows it is pretty cleanly chewed quite deep and I did not see any sawdust in the snow below. I have never seen a hole this big before and was wondering if anyone may have a idea of what chewed it.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

brendonv

Wood peckers are after whats inside.  Looks like the valleys from carpenter ants in the heartwood.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

elk42

Grits has got to be better than those small fish {MINNOWS} with boiled potatoes
and beets.  :D :D :D :D

Sorry guys wrong place
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

sprucebunny

Most likely Piliated (sp.?) Woodpecker. They are known for large, rectangular holes.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

A pileated wood pecker maybe.

And than the mess on the ground.
That is a good wild life tree if no threat to a building.
I saw another tree that the wood pecker has been after too just below my land.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

We did not hear anything so I didn't think it was a woodpecker and there is no wood in the snow under the hole. I will have to keep a eye out to see if it comes back. I hope it got all the carpenter ants or that tree may look like yours thecfarm in the future. Looks like the hole would make a good home for a squirrel.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Maybe the wind was blowing when the wood pecker was a pecking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thecfarm

I was coming home and caught him in the act. I had to come home and get the camera. He moved on the back side of the tree. First time I ever really saw one stay on a tree.

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on March 08, 2014, 08:09:40 PM
I was coming home and caught him in the act. I had to come home and get the camera. He moved on the back side of the tree. First time I ever really saw one stay on a tree.

Great picture. I will have to keep my eye out for one.

JohnG28

My buddy had a tree right in his front yard that looked identical,  just a much larger hole. The woodpecker looked like Woody on some serious steroids!  :D  :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

davidlarson

You're right about pileated woodpecker.  In our forests in western NC they make holes just like that, in old dead trees, and I think sometimes in live trees, if the trees are in some way weakened or sick.
David L.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jeff

As a note, the woodpeckers are after what is already living within the tree. They are exposing the damage that is already within the tree. Sort of opening the cupboard door there for you to see as they chow on what they find. They are not eating the wood, just removing it to get at where it is already missing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

21incher

Sounds like he must be in a big pine tree across the street now. While out boiling sap yesterday that is all I heard. Hopefully I will be able to get a pic of him. The squirrels seem to like the hole he made in my tree. They are checking it out all the time.

2StateTrigger

Them poor little woodpeckers.  I often hear them hammering away at the trees like a jackhammer.  Can you imagine the headaches they get?
Molon Labe

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

gfadvm

Piliated woodpeckers are a rare sighting around here but I always try to leave a big dead snag around to try to attract them. We'll see a pair about twice a year.

WV Sawmiller

We have lots of pileated woodpeckers in our area and on my property. Some folks call them wood hens. I love to hear them calling (sometimes in the Spring they will shock a turkey into gobbling) and watching them. I'd leave the tree as long as safe just for the bird viewing it will provide.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Carson-saws

Built themselves a regular condo.  Club MED like.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

sandsawmill14

we have a few of them around here some call them indian hens on a side note if you ever see one go in a hole where the nest is DONT EVER climb the tree and put your hand over the hole to try and catch mom and the babies :o i know a guy that did that when he was bout 12-13 yrs old and hands are no where near hard as wood and i thought the bird was gonna come out through my and any second :o and i was to scared to let the pecker out afraid it would get on my head so i ended up just jumping out of the tree ;D after 2 -3 days my hand was ok and learned a valuable lesson :D :D :D  when i think about all the crazy things i did as a kid i often wonder how i ever got this old ???  :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

sandsawmill14

i forgot to mention this was one of the small red headed woodpeckers not the larger ones like were mentioned in this post :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

grouch

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 20, 2015, 10:12:46 AM
  We have lots of pileated woodpeckers in our area and on my property. Some folks call them wood hens. I love to hear them calling (sometimes in the Spring they will shock a turkey into gobbling) and watching them. I'd leave the tree as long as safe just for the bird viewing it will provide.

That's what people call them around here, too. It confused me when I first moved here in '78 when the locals talked about "wood hens".

It's easy to tell when one of them is working. Sounds like the log drums from an old Tarzan movie. The little redheaded woodpeckers (don't know their real name) sound more like a clatter; nothing like the big pileated drummers.
Find something to do that interests you.

ppine

It is impressive that several people could figure out the species by the nature of the hole he left.  People that live and work in the bush get tuned in to what is out there.  It all becomes so familiar. That is the difference between tourists and foresters.
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!