iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The real difference

Started by jargo432, March 05, 2014, 11:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

Hello, this is my first post here.  I grew up cutting firewood with my dad and working for a man that sold firewood and am now getting back into it after more years than I'd care to admit.  A lot has changed.  We always used Homelite but these days most people use Sthil.  I'm looking into buying a new chainsaw for cutting 5 to 7 cords of wood a year and have decided on a Stihl.  However, the question I can't find an answer to is this....

Mechanically speaking,  What is the difference between a Farm and Ranch saw and a Professional saw?

Thanks so much in advance.
Kevin
Jack of all trades.

Philbert

Welcome to FF.

Metal case versus plastic. Better quality alloys and components. More parts availability. More rebuildable after heavy use.

The 'Farm and Ranch' saws typically have a lower power-to-weight ratio, but can be very serviceable saws.

Philbert

deerslayer

For the amount of wood you're talking about cutting, a farm/ranch saw should serve your needs well. Do you have a chain saw now or are you starting with a clean slate?

If it was me, I would buy two used saws. In the Stihl line, I'd get an 026/MS260 and an 039/MS390. Then I would start looking for a good deal on a larger saw like the Stihl 044/MS440. Or even an 066/MS660. It may take months or even years to find a good large saw for a good price.

One advantage of buying used is that you can get a pro saw for a homeowner saw price and it is easier to trade around. ie, you can sell a saw you're not fond of for what you paid for it or close to it.

Chainsaws are not that complex of a machine and if you're even a bit of a handyman, you should be able to do your own repairs. So don't be afraid of a saw that isn't "new". By the time you saw up a cord of wood, it won't be new anyway, even if it was.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

AKDoug

An MS 291 would cut that amount of wood per year, with very little maintenance, for 20 years or more.

Ianab

Quote from: Philbert on March 05, 2014, 11:32:34 PM
Welcome to FF.

Metal case versus plastic. Better quality alloys and components. More parts availability. More rebuildable after heavy use.

The 'Farm and Ranch' saws typically have a lower power-to-weight ratio, but can be very serviceable saws.

Philbert

This ^^^

If you cut that amount of wood a year then a "farm / firewood" grade Stihl should outlast you.

Now a professional, cutting that amount every day, they might wear that saw out in 6 months, and something 10% lighter, and 10% faster is a big plus at the end of a long day. A pro saw, they get a couple of years use, so the extra cost is worth it.

How much saw you need depends on what you are cutting. But something 50-60 cc is pretty normal. MS290(now 291) is probably Stihl's best selling saw, for a good reason. Reliable. Not the "best" saw they make, just the most popular.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

redmule

Don't over look the Dolmar line of saws. A 6100 can be had for $550.00. This is a great all around saw.

Philbert

Or just because you 'like' the 'Pro' saw better.

If you keep things a long time, and like nice things, the extra cost will add up to very little.

Philbert

Grandedog

Quote from: Philbert on March 06, 2014, 11:32:16 AM
Or just because you 'like' the 'Pro' saw better.

If you keep things a long time, and like nice things, the extra cost will add up to very little.

Philbert

Howdy,
   I think Philbert nailed it.
   It sounds like your initial cost isn't a budget issue. Cutting the amount of wood you're talking about until you pass the torch, the difference in price between the two is negligible over the years.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

Andyshine77

The Echo CS-590 has a mag case, 60cc and can be had for $400.00 Great buy IMHO.
Andre.

5000+

Yep, that Echo 590 is the best bang for the buck. Good suggestion.

JohnG28

Some years back I was in the same spot, more or less, looking for a good new saw. I was initially looking at the Stihl 310 or 390. After research and listening here, I got a 361 and am very happy I did. I appreciate quality tools and just love that saw. And it will last me my lifetime with my use. A good 60cc saw is great for firewood IMO. And welcome to the forum.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

Quote from: 5000+ on March 06, 2014, 06:20:04 PM
Yep, that Echo 590 is the best bang for the buck. Good suggestion.

I picked one up the other day, haven't had a chance to run her yet, but it looks like a very well made saw. For 400 bucks you get a lot for your money, and Shin has helped out with performance from what I hear, if it's even close to a 361/362 it should sell well. I plan doing son compressions vs a few Husky's and Stihl saws, maybe even a Dolmar 6100.
Andre.

jargo432

Wow, thanks for all the advice.  Right now I'm leaning toward the ms271 or ms 291.  Yes I do have a chainsaw right now but hate it. (poulan 3318)  Its probally my fault it won't run right. (won't idle when hot and hard to start after running for a while) Again, thanks for all the help!
Jack of all trades.

CTYank

With that Poulan, if it came with a "torch" plug, chuck it and get the equiv. NGK. BTDT. You'll thank me.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

thecfarm

A guy from work brought one of those Poulin from a box store.This guy can fix anything and design anything too. He would fabicate machines at work. Not having much money,we all know how that is,he brought one. Only for firewood,cutting down the trees too. He used it for a day or two and ran great. Than it started to run real bad. He was all set to take it back and get a refund or another one. But he thought,I'll put in another plug. Ran just like it came out of the box.  :o  He was shocked that they would put such a cheap plug into a new saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pwheel

I'll add that pro saws are better able to withstand abuse, such as at the hands of less-than-caring crews. With reasonable care, a farm/ranch saw will last a long time. The MS291 would be my pick for the type of work you're planning on doing.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

ladylake

Have too agree the Echo CS590 is the best bang for the buck plus if you need parts they are reasonable and can be bought online . Not too sure if Shindaiwa helped Echo in the power department as my Echo saws have way better power than my Shindaiwa saws cc for cc.  Echo used the 488 Shindaiwa design for their CS500 which is the lightest decent 50cc made now..   At $460 for a MS291 there are way better saws for around the same price plus or minus a little.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pwheel

Quote from: ladylake on March 07, 2014, 08:39:06 AM
...the Echo CS590 is the best bang for the buck plus if you need parts they are reasonable and can be bought online...
Echo is a good farm/ranch option, provided that there is a qualified full-service dealer nearby. Most folks stick to Husky and Stihl around here, though. Never seen an Echo.
Stihl MS260 Pro, MS261, MS440 x2, MS460, FS90; 1982 Power King 1614

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry forum, jargo432.  Be sure to hang on to the Poulan because there are times when a "second" saw may be needed.   :-\  Stuff happens.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

jargo432

Thanks for all the help!!  I've got some questions about the Poulan (I'll use it till I've saved enough for a real saw)  but I'll start a new thread for them.
Jack of all trades.

ladylake

Echo saws are built real good, most models as good as pro Husky and Stihl saws and way better than their lower models.  I run and work on all of them .  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Step

Quote from: jargo432 on March 07, 2014, 09:50:12 PM
Thanks for all the help!!  I've got some questions about the Poulan (I'll use it till I've saved enough for a real saw)  but I'll start a new thread for them.

Poulan's are real saws.  With maintenance they can last several years.   Carb rebuild is going to cost about the same on $80 Poulan as it would on any high dollar saw.  Just harder spending the money on cheaper saw.   Any saw you take to woods and it doesn't start is a pain in the butt.   

The way a saw is stored in the off season makes all the difference.  That ethanol gas treatment has made difference in my saws at least I think so.  Small engines just dont like that corn water as much.   

I am Husky fan so I would also suggest checking on some of the xp's.   

Also fact of wood cutting your going to get hung up and most of the time its going to take another saw to get you out.  So with the wood your planning to cut you need two saws that will crank and cut on the spot. 
Husky 272xp, 142e, 136, 235e, Homelite super xl, and Poulan WildThing.

Thank You Sponsors!